NSW White Marks on Brick Walls

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by fmcloud, 25th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. fmcloud

fmcloud Member

Hi guys,

My mate is looking to buy a house and like the house but reluctant as there is these white marks on front and also some at back of house. Real estate agent says it's a weather damage and owner is in process of painting it.

What do you think it is ? And would you buy it? He hasn't put in a deposit yet so just looking for advice if he should go forward. Of course if he does, he will get a building and pest inspection.

Thanks

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Acid wash after mortar repair?

The Y-man

3. fmcloud

fmcloud Member

Oh that sounds alarming. They have also recently freshly painted the whole house, replaced carpets. RA says its just renovation because property was tenanted and was never painted for the last 20 years. In my opinion, if my friend is having that many doubts and questions, then despite of the fact that they love property, they should just let it go. What do you think? And thanks for reply

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Depends if your friend will end up letting every property go because of some minor issue they are exaggerating in their imagination.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  5. fmcloud

fmcloud Member

6. fmcloud

fmcloud Member

I just realized I hadn't posted the image. Please see above. thanks.

7. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Acid wash is the least alarming thing ever.

The pic just looks like peeling paint - it does sound like every property will have something that worries your friend. I would just get a building inspection done if your friend loves the house and trust the inspector.

wylie likes this.
  8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It looks like concrete or render that had been painted brown and is now flaking.

But it’s hard to tell from that photo if the render or concrete is also pitted and eroded or ifs it’s just the paint...

Did your friend not inspect the building in person, because it should have been very obvious what the issue was?

9. fmcloud

fmcloud Member

He did and they have already painted it. This photo is 1 month old from the google maps street view. They have also painted the whole house and replacing carpets. Property is on market for 100 days and it seems contracts have been rescinded couple of times. Its a popular suburb and houses don't stay there for more than a week or so so this is very strange. This all sounds like red flags and RA just brushing it off. It seems like this might be a Rising dampness issue from photos which is quite costly to fix so he is walking away. If it would be simply paint issue, it wouldn't be a concern at all. Thanks.