VIC Which to buy: Townhouse in Maribynong or house in Dallas (Melbourne)

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Michael Pham, 27th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Birdseed

Birdseed Well-Known Member

Maribyrnong, by the length of the straight.

2. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

IMG_4851.PNG
    Single story at the back of an existing house or townhouses, single story. Even if the unit is 3-4 bedrooms and big, it's classified as a unit.
    The front and middle are classified as a town house.

You can have a house at the front, then built a single story house at the back and Original front house will stay as a house, but the new dwelling at the rear will be known as a unit.

Anthony Brew likes this.
  3. miola

miola Member

I am in a very similar situation. I am looking for a PROP for a few years that will become a IP in the future. For a budget of $500-550-600,000, I am thinking about a townhouse or a house in West or North of Melbourne.
    Have you thought about Fawkner and Glenroy? It seems that these suburbs would suit the budget.
    Can anybody comments their thoughts about long-term growth in these suburbs? Also, would it be ok suburbs to live for a couple without kids. I would like to live somewhere near public transport to commute to CBD.

4. willfong

willfong Active Member

Wouldn't this depend on the title type? If the subdivision is done as strata title then both should be considered units. If they were subdivided into their own separate title and both are freestanding homes, both front and rear should be considered houses.

5. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Not sure exactly with titles. This is just a simple example to explain a unit in Melbourne. There's units side by side as well. So yeah depends on titles I guess.

6. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Was about to ask why you think this. Then I went and looked at Glenroy which was mentioned, and for the same price of around 500k, you can get either 530sq 21km west or 200sq 14km north. I know closer in (and to the east) are more sought after, but 8km closer for 35% of the land ... is it really likely that they will retain their proportion of growth over just 8km as the city grows outwards?
    I'm not someone who can answer this, but it seems pretty crazy.

Also .. I was assuming you probably need 300sq each after dividing land into 2 and I didn't realise there were so many houses with land so small as 200sq. So I am guessing that would imply that purchasing a property a little further out on 530sq means that one day it would be likely that this would actually be plenty big enough to subdivide as population grows out?
    Although, most properties are narrower width and longer extending back so that messes it up somewhat for subdivision, though I guess still do-able, just no ideal.

Last edited: 29th May, 2017
  7. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

So basically, it's like a small(er) property and where there is another property on the land..?

Barny likes this.
  8. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Yes in most cases units are smaller. I bought 730sq block with a house at the front, I built a 3 bedroom plus study with double garage at the rear and subdivided to seperate titles, and the rear is now classified as a unit. Even though the rear is bigger than the front.

Attached Files:

Anthony Brew likes this.
  9. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I guess the way I see it is you can't make more land within the 20kms of the city-thats why I like something with land that could possibly be developed in 10/15/20 years time..Townhouse takes away that option. But Im not an expert, just my personal opinion.

Anthony Brew likes this.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.