Which tenants would you choose? Boys for more or girls for less?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Momentum, 15th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Which tenants would you choose?

1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. 3

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. 4

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Hi @Joynz,

The "I'm not sexist but ....." was a reference to how everytime someone says "I'm not racist but...." is generally going to say something racist. So the smiley face was to indicate sarcasm

I'm not sure which part you found disrespectful but if it was the 'bros before hos' part then I apologise. I used it in the context of "friends before people you have sex with" - which can apply more to both sexes if I use it that way.

From a personal point of view I have found all male sharehouses are more stable than all female sharehouses which is about on par with a mixed sharehouse. This is not a sexist view but my own opinion.

Perthguy, Gingin and D.T. like this.
  2. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

The girls upped their offer to $630pw so i gave it to them and everyone is happy.

What if an applicant offers a higher amount than advertised, then what do you propose I do.. should I listen to the market? The current girls who are vacating got the place because they had great references. They also offered $570pw when it was advertised at $540pw and I didn't refuse the extra but keep in mind I'm a benevolent landlord who keeps everything well maintained, safe and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. The previous tenants were paying $420pw and it was a revolving door/lease for about 8 years with mostly uni tenants coming and going, girls moving in with their bf etc.

Perthguy likes this.
  3. 733

733 Well-Known Member

What was the reason the applicants offered more money? If they were aware there were other applicants it constitutes a price bid process.I have been in a position where an applicant offered more money to be 'picked' over other applicants however I was required by law to inform her that we could not legally engage in price bids for the rental.

Our response was appropriate as a property management business as we must follow legislation.

Excerpt from the Queensland RTA website:

"Rent auctions (also known as rent bidding) are where prospective tenants are asked to bid on how much rent they will pay. Rent auctions are illegal but could occur in isolated cases.

In Queensland a property being advertised for rent must advertise a fixed price. A property manager/owner may not advertise a rent range, put a property up for rent auction or ask for offers."

Websites such as this one below advocate that agents engaging in rental bids are breaching their code of conduct:

A ‘rent bidding’ resurgence in QLD?

Bad Landlord Australia: Rent Bidding: A Zero Tolerance Approach

Last edited: 26th Dec, 2016
  4. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

A tenant can offer over the advertised price and the LL can accept it. You can't run a quasi auction or ask tenants to offer more.