ASX Shares Which platform do you use for trading?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Tenex, 12th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

I have been using commsec for a while now but they have two big issues.

Their fees are high and the service is lagged in that if you put in limit orders to buy or sell and then cancel them, even if you get cancellation confirmation, it will at times proceed with the order anyway.

Would anyone recommend any other platform? has anyone used plus500? they seem to have no fees from what I have seen

2. aussieshorter

aussieshorter Well-Known Member

I use BellDirect and have no complaints. $15 per trade and it may even be less if your volume of trades per month is higher.

3. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

Thanks, their pricing seems quite similar to commsec not sure how fast and robust their platform is though

4. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

Anyone uses interactive brokers?

5. Crezki

Crezki New Member

SelfWealth has flat fees of 9.50 per trade.

Does anyone use Bendigo Invest Direct? The associated product Leveraged looks interesting.

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

That first I get, The second doesn't sound right. I'd say it is more a problem because of the lag you get in the display of the current market trades/depth (having to press the refresh / reload. Minor difference but it's important to point out in case other people get confused.

CommSec IRESS Viewpoint works much better in this respect (real time trading platform). I have never had issues with the speed of having the orders go onto the market - but again there is a cost unless you trade over a certain amount.

The Y-man

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

8. challis

challis New Member

Redwing likes this.
  9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I like SelfWealth. $9.50 per trade regardless of size, Chess sponsored, easy to use platform. But the CommSec platform has advantages, so it can be worth while to buy just a small parcel of something through them, just for the platform.

For buying and selling frequently there is an advantage using CommSec. See
    How to build ETF/Index funds portfolio for long term [ETF]

10. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

I use Bell Direct too, they used to be a good mix of value as well as features back when I signed up but I am not so sure now, there are probably better options.

...Except they jump to $25 for trades over $10k and move to 0.1% for trades over $25k.

11. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

I am starting off into the ETF world with VDHG.
    I signed up on the Vanguard website as a personal investor. It says there is no brokerage for vanguard products.
    Can someone help me with understanding whats the pros/cons of going direct versus going through selfwealth, commsec, etc ?

12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If you have a diverse portfolio it may assist to use a broker that produces an annual tax summary. As a direct investor you will need to summarise yourself. That said, Commsec do it badly especially ETFs. Sharesight is used by many for DIY reporting

Brumbie likes this.
  13. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

So, if I want to just stick with buying 1-2k worth of VDHG every month or so, then Vanguard individual investor should be fine?

14. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I also signed up on the Vanguard website today as a personal investor even though I have bought VAS and NDQ in the past through CommSec and Pocket. I haven't looked at the details yet but I think Vanguard charge $19.95 if you buy ETFs through their website?

15. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

I use a broker who gives me IRESS access and charges me 0.06%. But that's not accessible normally (there's a threshold for it)..

A cheap one that's readily available is Selfwealth. I think their trades are $10. Also has some chat forum or something I'm told or you can see trends. Never used it myself

16. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

The $19.95 is for non-vanguard ETFs. So, no brokerage for VDHG, I believe and account fee is max $600 per annum.

upload_2020-7-24_13-32-3.jpeg

Bunbury likes this.
  17. mkbonline

mkbonline Well-Known Member

They may have zero brokerage but 0.2 % of total portfolio size as account fees every year makes them more expensive then self-wealth even for just Vanguard products in long run.

Self wealth dont have international stocks though unlike CommSec. Another advantage with CommSec is that you dont need money in settlement account until T+2 day. With self wealth , you have transfer money to settlement account even before you put any trade and money transfer takes 2 days.

Last edited: 25th Jul, 2020
  18. sfdoddsy

sfdoddsy Well-Known Member

Even with the .2% fee Vanguard Personal Investor will probably work out cheaper. If you add $2K a month you'll have 24K at the end of the year, and your fee will be .2% of that, or $48.

If you make 12 trades via SelfWealth you'll pay $112.

Long term that will change.

In ten years (with no growth) you'll have $240K for which Vanguard will charge $480.

It's unlikely Vanguard (or Bell) won't change things up, but if they don't and fees are a sticking point you could wait until you have $100K, switch it to a Vanguard Wholesale Fund and pay nothing for bPay installments.

Mumbai likes this.
  19. Ross36

Ross36 Well-Known Member

To paraphrase Billy Bernstein:

Brokerage fees come and go, annual expenses last forever ;).

FatElephant, Redwing and blob2004 like this.
  20. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

0.2% is not low. If you're trading $1m that's $2000 per annum or 200 trades on Selfwealth. You'd have to be trading almost daily to rack up $2000 of fees.

Unless you're a chartist or something, you're probably just buying a few stocks and holding medium term which will cost you $50?