Technology & Social Media Which laptop would you get?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by skyfall, 22nd May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

WHich laptop would you choose from these 2:

1. HP Spectre

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Dell XPS

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Something else (please mention)

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  1. skyfall

skyfall Well-Known Member

Hi all, I'm after a new laptop, budget up to $2,500-3k max.
    I've narrowed it down to The HP Spectre x360 or Dell XPS 13.

Both are slim and sexy with i7 CPU's and 16GB RAM (they're 7th generation but not sure if they're U or HQ variants). I need mostly for video editing but want something which boots up Fast (< 20 secs). Both weigh less than 2kg.

I've googled and the HP often comes out winner (currently world's thinnest laptop) but it's also about $500+ dearer though some say the Dell has better graphics. The current Dell XPS has used the same shell for 3 years so they reckon they've got the best at the moment.

Any other tips or models I haven't thought about would be welcomed thanks.

Perthguy likes this.
  2. skyfall

skyfall Well-Known Member

3. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

I like Toshiba laptops, HP are pretty good as well. I wouldn't touch a Dell as a personal machine, I have supported them in a couple of jobs in the past and they just have more repairs and their support centre was painful. This is just my opinion.

skyfall likes this.
  4. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

MacBook :)

radson likes this.
  5. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Why do you want to spend $3k on a laptop? Are you doing heavy graphics computational stuff on it? I use excel a lot.. that and some occasional video decoding is about the most use my machines ever get. I never spend more than $400 on a new laptop. Swap the HDD for an SSD and use a portable drive for storage. It will be super fast and you can upgrade every year for 5 years and still be better off $-wise (most laptops seem to die within 4-5 years)

edit: just noticed the bit on video editing.. professional or hobby?

Terry_w, ellejay and Kassy like this.
  6. Propertyman

Propertyman Well-Known Member

Hi @Phase2 any brand you recommend for $400? Re swapping the HDD for an SSD, is that hard to do? (I'm not overly tech savvy).

Thanks

7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

How about the new Microsoft Surface Laptop?

Starts at $1500 for 128GB SSD + Core i5 CPU + 4GB RAM, up to $3,300 for 512GB SSD + Core i7 CPU + 16GB RAM. Weighs 1.25kg.

Buy Surface Laptop - Microsoft Store Australia

(Personally, I think the $2,000 256GB SSD + Core i5 CPU + 8 GB RAM is good enough for most users unless they have particularly demanding requirements)

EN710 and Dan Donoghue like this.
  8. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Nah, I just subscribe to places like e-store (since bought by harris technology), shoppingexpress.com.au, and keep an eye on MSY.com.au, jbhifi, HN, TGG etc. If there's something I'm looking for specifically (model number) I'll look it up on staticice.com.au.

The brands don't really tend to be that much different to each other. Reading reviews on particular model numbers might give you an indication of whether they had problems, but the internals are mostly all from independent manufacturers anyway. My view is that it doesn't really matter if you buy HP, Dell, Lenovo, Asus, Acer (are they still around?) as long as you don't find stack of bad reviews for a particular model you should be ok.

Swapping 2.5"HDD for a 2.5" SSD in a laptop is pretty easy, it's a couple of screws and a plug. There will be plenty of how-to's on youtube. The 'hardest' bit will be re-installing your operating software. Windows 10 should be a fairly straight-forward re-install because it's registered to the laptop's motherboard not the hard-disk. You can also buy a USB powered case for about $15 to hold your old HDD so you can use it for portable storage.

9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Startup - Win 10 starts up extremely fast compared to previous incarnations - even on a Core 2 with 2Gb ram. So don't be fooled into thinking it is the machine doing it.

From my experience in corporate IT support:

- HP, Toshi and Dell support has been ok from a corporate standpoint. Not so sure for personal units.

- Lenovo is by far the worst for support - even for corporates - typically 2 weeks to respond to an allegedly NBD support and then 3 weeks part wait typical.

- Toshi HDDs - for some reason fail a lot sooner than others. Also not a big fan of Hitachi.

- Microsoft Surface - oh God where do I start? I have no idea about the current unit, but the first and series 2 units had a bonded case - so it is impossible to upgrade anything in it (SSD, Ram) nor is it possible to service - return to base, if assessed as faulty, new unit returned. Too bad about whatever you had on there!

The Y-man

skyfall likes this.
  10. Propertyman

Propertyman Well-Known Member

Awesome thanks @Phase2 ill look into them

11. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

12. vudu

vudu Well-Known Member

Nvidia graphics for anything video editing, and NVME drives if possible (up to 5X SSD performance. Surface Pro's have been rubbish in the past. Mac's are OK for home use, not business.

Bit like buying a car... always get the biggest motor!

skyfall likes this.
  13. Gonx

Gonx Well-Known Member

Never liked HP laptops. Got one for a previous girlfriend as a gift a few years back but it had so many problems but looked nice. Had a Toshiba a few years back, took it around the world with me for a couple of years, on beaches to dusty roads to motorcycle tracks, never missed a beat. It broke down when I was back in OZ and I swatted a persistent annoying fly on it really hard with a rolled up newspaper :) .
    My last laptop was a Samsung and it worked pretty well.

If I was to buy a new laptop now and I might need to soon (currently use an asus hybrid tablet for mobile) I would be researching hard for at least 3 days on computer forums, read reviews, checkout high-end custom laptops and ask many questions on current technologies. A laptop can be an important tool for business, your life etc so it's worth spending some time and effort on it. You could also just buy a cheapie for less than $600 and throw it away after a year.

skyfall likes this.
  14. Kat

Kat Well-Known Member

I prefer laptops with dedicated graphics. Assuming I read the specs for the correct models, both of those have the Intel 620 series integrated graphics. A lot of people think integrated graphics isn't a big issue, so it may not bother you.

I have a very quick look on the Dell website (I haven't checked any others) and found this: Alienware 13 | Dell Australia

I believe the biggest drawback for you (judging on the factors you've listed above) would be the weight, 2.6kgs. But it has the i7, 32gb RAM, GeForce GTX 1060 and an IPS screen.

skyfall and Dan Donoghue like this.
  15. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Just to be pedantic I actually recommended the new Surface Laptop not the Surface Pro - it is a little cheaper and has a proper keyboard

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  16. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

I like the MacBook Pro, also you can buy the refurbished units which are 15% cheaper than new, and you get 2 year warranty with it.
    Spec it up as much as possible so you get a few years out of it.

17. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I purchased a surface pro after seeking advice here - no complaints. It's been used a lot - and carted around everywhere. Very reliable. Perfect for business use.

Cheers

Jamie

skyfall and jins13 like this.
  18. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

The same for me as well. So light and practical.

19. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Macbook Air

20. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

We have both in i5 and there isn't a huge amount between them. I wouldn't bother with the high res screen unless you have amazing eyesight or specifically need it for video editing.

The xps is substantially smaller in footprint for the screen size.