Which brand of taps do you use?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by mouseburger, 17th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mouseburger

mouseburger Well-Known Member

I'm after recommendations for bathroom mixers (shower and sink). Happy to pay more for quality and some people have told me to look at Ram, Methven, Hansa, Grohe. Who's installed taps from these brands, and are they long-lasting?

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Grohe used in my bathroom. My builder recommended it.

WattleIdo and mouseburger like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Enware anti-vandal fittings with ceramic discs.

mouseburger likes this.
  4. mouseburger

@Scott No Mates - I checked out their website - do you happen to know of online stockists for Enware? Didn't have much luck with my google-fu tonight.

5. Scott No Mates

@mouseburger You will have to go to trades suppliers only. Their commercial products but good.

6. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Have also used Grohe and couldn't be happier. Also happy with Dorf and Caroma which were Aussie made not sure now. I avoid the cheap no name stuff from Bunnings/Masters. The cheapest I go is Caroma/Dorf.

7. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Methven and hansa are top notch.

Avoid the Bunnings garbage they aren't reliable I had a $50 kitchen mixer in IP it rusted through in 12 months

Travelbug and WattleIdo like this.
  8. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

+1 on this. I have used Dorf which was great and now I have Grohe which is also fantastic and really good quality.

I bought a whole lot of Grohe tapware on Gumtree from a lady who changed her mind on her taps mid renovation. Her poor decision making ended up being my gain, and for 20% of the RRP!

They are gems when you can find them.

vtt
    :D

WattleIdo likes this.
  9. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I use Methven - can't complain. Nice and sturdy and look good.

Don't mess around with cheap plumbing components. Some of that cheap stuff from China is rubbish - will end up costing more in the long run when you continually call out a plumber.

Cheers

Jamie

10. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Agree with what Jamie said. I've been cautioned by plumbers that the cheap and nasty stuff (such as from Bunnings) costs a bomb in callouts.

11. ross100

ross100 Well-Known Member

is this for IP or PPOR as they are pretty expensive Grohe

12. PJ1

PJ1 Well-Known Member

I have swapped all existing taps over to Ram ceramic disc by swapping the tap spindle out , and as scott I have fitted anti vandal as I find loose caps annoying. I think the Ram brand are owned by tradelink or licenced to them.
    If you head down this path beware there are many configurations in regard to 1/4 turn 3/4 turn etc.Also Contra type where the direction the tap turns is opposite each other or from the centre away from you rather than the usual lefty loosey.

13. mouseburger

Thanks for the tips, all. This is for my PPOR and I ended up getting Hansa mixers for the bath and shower and a Rams for the bathroom sink. Never met anyone who didn't have complaints about the Bunnings crap. I don't know much about fixtures but the cheapies always feel flimsier than the better stuff. Better to pay bit extra for quality now rather than spending extra money later trying to fix things - and end up spending what the good stuff would've cost anyway!

14. San2018

San2018 Well-Known Member

Is it still a concern if we buy those good brands fr okm bunnings. The reason I use bunnings is to just see, feel and buy. Also can easily return if it's wrong or I didn't like it..

15. Scott No Mates

@San2018 - bunnies just has a limited range from Methven, I found that Methven customer service was great regardless of where I purchased.

San2018 likes this.
  16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I've had good luck with cheap Bunnings ceramic disc taps which I installed in my kitchen.

They cost $44 two years ago and still going strong today. My only complaint is that they are noisy when on. One thing worse than noisy neighbours is noisy taps....

San2018 likes this.