Where would you buy for 250?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Green, 20th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Green

Green Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Im on a tight budget and looking to get into my first IP. I really want to find something thats not neg geared and will allow me to pull some equity out in 6 months - a year and go for another but I'm quickly finding that properties fitting that fit that description and my budget are not easy to find.

So, where would you go? :)

Iantheexpert and L3ha7 like this.
  2. joel

joel Well-Known Member

I had the same criteria and bought in Christie Downs SA, 715sqm block for 240k.

L3ha7, Beelzebub and Xenia like this.
  3. womble66

womble66 Well-Known Member

Under 2% long term capital growth over the last 10 years based on median house prices may mean equity draw down may not be possible in the timeframe for the OP unless its a total renovation job :)

4. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

5. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Joel what rent do you get per week?
    I'm going to assume it's cashflow positive.

6. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Take a look at Dandenong.

7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Yes far southern Adelaide suburbs as well as far northern ones. Salisbury, Playford areas.

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I prefer south for Adelaide in that price range.

I personally only buy/hold and develop only in western suburbs, but that is a different price range.

Erica and Taku Ekanayake like this.
  9. meme plecko

meme plecko Well-Known Member

Older villa style units or 2 bed walk up style (like those 220k two bidders around Potter St) ? Any potential for CG in these?

Green likes this.
  10. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

Or it could mean that the area is underpriced and now is a good time. I live in the area and its definitely moving.

New Town likes this.
  11. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Ask @bob shovel about his equity position on the property in Adelaide I sourced for him a few months ago :)

Sackie and bob shovel like this.
  12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

download.jpg

I bought under land value. The house was thrown in for free :D

House, Luke T, Toon and 2 others like this.
  13. Danmicb

Danmicb Well-Known Member

Inner CBD ipswich suburbs close to parks, schools and cafes, plus eastern heights and newtown: look for 3+ bd character houses, a good size block (600m2+), cosmetic rennovation, highset, floodfree. These properties are selling and renting well in your price range. Some good deals to be found in the whole 200s range actually. Low vacancy rates and decent yields for these areas from the get go are available, for the time being. Don't be fooled by the opinions of old, its actually becoming an increasingly desirable place with its improving cafe culture and old world charm. Its still entry level price, and in particular, the dream for many of living or renting a Queenslander on a decent block is attainable and affordable, yet still within a doable commute to the CBD. Good job prospects and growth in the area, with many not even commuting to Brisbane CBD for work. There will also be an influx of defense personnel coming into town/amberly as summer draws.

Nocookies

Is 2016 the year for property in Ipswich?

This is just an opinion and you really need to find out what area makes sense to you and contributes most appropriately to your overall goals. Don't take our words/opinions/research/speculation as truth, because we will justify whatever works for us, not necessarily you. In the end, there are opportunities in most markets if you spend time looking, watching, researching and becoming familiar with the area. But you need to commit time and energy to understanding applying what you want, and translating that to actual concrete opportunities. You can just give your aforementioned criteria to a BA if you are time constrained. What has your own search for properties that fit your criteria found so far @Green

14. Green

Green Well-Known Member

I feel a bit scared about Dandenong with the whole Apex carjacking thing but there are some tempting prices. Have you bought there?

15. joel

joel Well-Known Member

Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.

Plenty of houses need renovation. If you rent it out without any work, you'll just have to pay people to fix things you could've fixed yourself.

OP if you want to look cheaper and easier try northern Adelaide. I revalued my 150k house in Smithfield Plains at 185k after 6 months. Spent 4k renovating. It's rented for 250/wk. Less long term CG prospects there though.

Up for rent @ 290/wk which is 6.3% yield or something. That'll be positive.

legallyblonde, Barny and Green like this.
  16. Green

Green Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great reply! I've been looking around the Logan area and its tempting because you can get in a town house for 210 or so and rent it for 280 which seems like a great deal, however they are selling for exactly the same price as what they were 8 years ago so Im scared that If I pick up one of them I won't be able to pull out any equity.

I haven't really looking into the Ipswich area too much, do you think it has strong GC potential?

The other consideration on my mind is that a bit of cosmetic reno might be the best way to allow me to pull some equity out after a revaluation, but for me to be able to do a bit of reno the property would really have to be in Melbourne. I feel like theres good potential in the north broadmeadows and a bit higher areas and then going down to Doveton and Dandenong, its very possible to get in somewhere at the 250 mark. Although the yields aren't anywhere as strong as the Brissy properties.

I really haven't looked into the Adelaide market at all, where I'm at at the moment I see the choice as:

Melbourne:
    + Can reno and strong growth
    - Low yield

Or

Brissy:
    + High Yield
    - Can't really yield
    - More uncertain about getting a good valuation

17. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Look to North Adelaide as mentioned by others.
    Get davem to do the dirty work for you and get a great deal! :D I started a thread with my purchase with Dave somewhere

18. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Haven't bought there but it is on my radar. Can't stay this cheep forever.

19. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

Regional NSW and Adelaide might be your best bet with that price range

20. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

Me, Joel, Xenia, DaveM, Bob Shovel, Dark Knight mentioned Adelaide.

Cactus and memeplecko mentioned dandenong
    Heinz and DanMicb Ipswich

Seems you had already had made your mind up. Why didnt you just put forward Melb and Brissy as options and ask what people think of those two areas?

New Town and Barny like this.