Where to start? Plans and permits, hold/ build Hume council

Discussion in 'Development' started by Otie, 13th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I have two Ip's in different suburbs within Hume council, Melbourne.
    Both suburbs will be under the flight paths if the new runways at Melbourne airport go ahead (which seems very likely).
    Being under the flight path will limit any development potential I was holding out for long term. My initial plan was to develop in 10-20 years time, but now I'm beginning to feel very nervous, as this runway could slash my potential grown quite badly if these can't be developed.
    One is a 600m2 block with only one street frontage and neighbours either side and at the back, the other property is a corner which already has a Melbourne airport overlay on it which restricts it to having no more than 2 dwellings on it (Mae02).
    Im worried that my Mae02 one could be reduced to single dwelling overlay, and my other one down from say 3 to 2 or even single dwelling overlay.

I am due to refinance very soon, and I am considering taking out some equity so that I can get plans and permits for both properties with the intention of holding/renewing the permits for as long as I can without building until the expire, with intent to build just before they expire (basically hold out as long as possible without building, but having them approved before zonings change). Is this a possibility- if you get approved prior to zoning changes does that guarantee your approval stays valid?

I have not researched this enough at all yet, and don't even know where to start. Should I get in touch with planning dept at council and ask them for a recommendation on who to go through for the plans/ permit preparation?

What sort of costs should I expect?

Currently freaking out a bit as these were supposed to be set an forget IPs, I only heard about the airport runway the other day and almost had a heart attach when I heard my suburbs mentioned.

2. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Renewal of permits may be problematic. Generally you will get the first rental - towards the end of two years. That will take you to the end of four years from "now". In a renewal the Council will consider any changes to policy, as well as the justification etc. If there is a change the MAE02 you may not get your renewal.
    I'd advice getting on with planning permit applications sooner rather than later.
    Ask the planning department? is that a joke? They won't recommend, and certainly won't recommend consultants who push hard....find a town planner and an architect who can help

3. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Thanks. Should I look at using town planners that have already been approved in my surrounding streets? Is that the best indicator that they know how to meet the requirements?

Also any Idea of the vicinity of the costs? I would assume 30k or so per property?

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Is there a middle ground where you subdivide to create the blocks of land, put in services and title?
    Would that perhaps give the rights down the line to build on those blocks as they are already titled and any single dwelling overlay would be ok as they are single blocks? Would work well for the corner block.

5. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I have no idea. I really need to get advice as I have no idea whatsoever where to start

6. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

@Tufan Chakir Sorry I didn't realise you were a town planner. Do you do work in Hume at all? If so how is the best way for me to get in touch?

7. Tufan Chakir

It is a fallacy that a local planner will "know best" or "know more". It is common that a "local planner" who derives work from within a small area will not want to "upset" Council planners for fear of being given a hard time on the next "local job". The best planner is one who knows the planning rules, practices and protocols and is not fearful of upsetting Council staff by going hard and acting in the interests of the client rather than toeing the line...

lixas4, Silverson and Westminster like this.
  8. Tufan Chakir

If the titles are created there's not a problem. The problem is if permits are held and not acted upon (ie land banking)