Where to sell Diamond Ring?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by LifesGood, 28th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Hi all.

We've been gifted a diamond ring worth about $5k retail. It was given to us by a relative with the intention to sell it and spend the cash on our renovations.

Cash Converters is the obvious choice, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend another option in order to maximise our return!? :D

Thanks for your suggestions!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Ebay - fixed price not auction.

4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Sell it right here on PC! Why not? All we need are the 5 cs and an opening bid. I'm sure SH won't mind.

Johnny Cashflow likes this.
  5. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Cash converters will give you about $50 for your $5k ring. I'd take it to a licenced valuer for a proper appraisal and ask them the best place to try and sell it.

Sackie, Ed Barton, wylie and 2 others like this.
  6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Post a pic - you never know ;)

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

If it's a single stone then first have it valued and see if it's 18carat the last time i looked it's around $37.00 per gram,most rings will have around 3-5 grams...Then it comes back to the stone sitting on the gold as most pawn brokers money lenders will only buy on per gram scrap value so stay right away from them..
    A mate of mine buy scrap gold rings at the police seized auctions australia wide most with written valuations some with values above 5-9 k and when standing next to him at the auctions he would pay around 1 K for some valued in the 5 k range..

But he sells those ring as it a very good business model on gumtree or ebay with the written valuation for about 25% less then the valuation that may be the only way...imho..

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Do you have any info on the diamond, not sure whether certificate would apply in this range?

Unfortunately onselling jewellery is generally significantly discounted from what I have seen. It would help if you had a valuation

I would go gumtree

Last edited: 28th May, 2017
  9. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

I just bought a diamond for my fiancé and omg... that industry is a minefield!!

Best thing to do would be to get a reputable valuer to grade it and supply a certificate. Most people looking to buy diamonds want to see a certificate stating weight, colour, cut, clarity etc...
    you could ask the valuer what price to ask for it, and you can also check comparibles online.

Lastly, the valuations I've seen are way highballing to say the least. Ask for a 'sale' price. The standard 'retail valuation' can be thousands above its real value.

Sackie, Perthguy and MTR like this.
  10. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I would probably goto a jeweller and try to sell on consignment, if you must sell. realistically you will be very disappointed with the price no matter what.
    Maybe just better off wearing it or giving as a gift or something. The value in such things is mostly of the ownership and not anything else.

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

You need a GIA certificate to work out the diamond, this is reputable cert. Be very wary of european certs they are dodgy Or retail stores thst provide their own certs..... not a good way to go

Also another way is do not buy retail buy from a gemologist, buy loose stone and set, save a fortune, make sure it comes with gia cert

Dont let the BS get in the way, its understandIng dimension measurement of diamond the cut, most important factor, must be three x (excellent). Once you get this you will be able to select a good stone

i have a degree in buying diamonds. Its my passion, I sm a collector:p

Johnny Cashflow, Perthguy and Connor like this.
  12. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Is 5k the Australian retail price? If so, the real price is about 1.5k so you'd probably get a few hundred max for it. Maybe try Ebay? The second-hand market for jewellery is pretty limited unless it is something very special or unique.

Unfortunately, like many other things, diamond jewellery in Australia is very overpriced compared to most other places so there is going to be a big gap between the price you paid and what it'll sell for.

gman65 and MTR like this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its not only over priced its easy to get ripped off and buy inferior diamond

However, never ever buy on line, do not get tempted to do this

Most retailers will recommend what ever they have in stock, what they are flogging off, that is the problem.

Anyone buying diamonds should research and Start with gia certs and work though it, fascinsting stuff

14. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Depends on the website you get it from. There are some very reliable retailers that sell online and sell good quality diamonds. You just need to do your research

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I understand this, but personally I would need to see the sparkle on my finger

There are other elements to consider like fluorecents that can significantly reduce price but you need to physically view the ring.

I have a couple of ways to reduce end value but still end up with a magnificent diamond, but need to physically see the diamond and in different lights

Also I can not stress the importance of the dimensions of the cut of the diamond. Research and you will get it, this is what gives the sparkle.

16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd wear it and enjoy it. Selling diamonds online or to a pawn broker will get you back one quarter of the valuation at best.

You'll not get much renovating done on what you get for it, but you may get a lot of enjoyment wearing it.

Lizzie, Ed Barton and MTR like this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

True

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm with Wylie - unless they are unique or antique, you will be lucky to get much for the ring.

That is why I buy my diamonds and gold from pawnbrokers rather than retailers - even getting something remade costs me about half and it's then personal.

Sadly, most people think they're worth what they paid retail and get highly disappointed when they're not. Wear the ring, enjoy it and keep it as an heirloom

wylie and MTR like this.
  19. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Maybe you could give it to someone who is going to propose to their partner that can't afford a ring.

DCO90, Gladys and datto like this.
  20. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

So I took the ring into Cash Converters today for an opinion. They offered me $250. The general consensus is that whilst it's 18k gold and about 1ct of Diamonds, it's an old style cut and design so the market of buyers will be limited.

It's not something that holds any sentimental value, it's ugly, and I'm not a lady so there's no reason for us to hold on to it.

Might get a proper valuation done and see if it will sell on Gumtree for a little more than $250. Insured value was supposedly 5-7k.

Sackie, Westminster and legallyblonde like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia