NSW Where to retire?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by geoffw, 30th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Bateman's Bay isn't bad, though I had the impression it was a bit more expensive. And you might get more of the weekend/summer crowds from Canberra perhaps. It's always so crowded when we go. But I will certainly put it on my research list.

Didn't Bunnings BB get hit a little from the bushfires?

BuyersAgent and ellejay like this.
  2. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

The Central coast (now) covers a vast area, with some parts being quite a distance from the ocean. This is reflective in the price disparity between lets say, San Remo and Killcare Heights.
    There are several railway stations with a train link to Sydney, along with of course the highway link.
    600k would get you into a large portion of the area, but there are pockets with price tags well in excess of 1.5m. Generally, those closer to the ocean command the higher prices.
    All facilities ( shopping centres, industrial areas, hospitals, transport hubs, restaurants, cafes, pubs, clubs etc.) are within close proximity.
    There is a cross section on the demographic front; with lots of retirees and also lots of young families. Overall it has become a desired location for those who want to be out of Sydney but still able to access it relatively easily.

Andrewjh, C-mac and geoffw like this.
  3. Zeehan

Zeehan Well-Known Member

Newcastle/Lake Macquarie would be ideal because you can fly to Melbourne easily, take the train to Sydney for fun, there are some new suburbs that would be in your price range. Get aircon to deal with the humidity.

4. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Flood prone and high insurance

MTR likes this.
  5. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Last edited: 30th Apr, 2020
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You can't go past Umina (Mt Druitt by the sea) - @datto will show you around :D

You could look a little further north - Budgewoi (@darlo's fave) or Berkeley Vale (God's Waiting Room) or the hinterland around Erina/Terrigal however these do get pricey.

7. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

Bateman's Bay has some nice areas that would fit the OP's budget but personally it is not my cup of tea. The Bunnings is all well and good, or at least it was when I was up there last month.

ellejay likes this.
  8. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Port Stephens area. Close enough to newcastle with a great lifestyle, apart from school holidays.

Serveman and Butterfly88 like this.
  9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Need to make sure there is great internet - preferably FTTP and 5G cranked up to brain frying power throughout the town so you can keep up your awesome moderation work :D:D:D (@Simon Hampel will refuse your retirement from Property Chat)

The Y-man

Gforce, SeafordSunshine and geoffw like this.
  10. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

I have family in Port/Coffs. Both have airports but are a bit of a pain and $$ to fly to the majors. Both great towns though. Awesome beaches, waterways and quite accessible now via road.

Port Stephens is another option. Short drive to Newcastle airport which do direct cheap flights to Melbourne. Airport is far greater than Port Mac/Coffs and recently started international routes. Port Stephens is also a great part of the world. Brilliant waterways but can get a bit touristy.

I love Lake Mac. I'm biased though. Both of these properties are close to my ex PPOR turned IP. Western side is extremely underrated IMO. Eastern side is great but pricey.

samiam likes this.
  11. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

The tourists drove me out of Port Stephens, too bad if you have a stroke/heart attack as it will be a long drive to hospital in Newcastle or a short journey in a helicopter.
    I live eastern side of Lake Macquarie, beautiful and handy to everything, however prices have gone upwards over the last few years.
    How about Central Coast, maybe Terrigal or around that area ... :D

Gforce, samiam and wilso8948 like this.
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Is you budget around the $5-600k? Have you seriously looked at Newcastle? It has the airport with direct flights to Melbourne, top level hospitals (public and private), cosmopolitan lifestyle without the Sydney hassle ... and I could show you around the vineyards :D

... although today's a bit fresh out

Serveman, Gforce and George Smiley like this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Personal preference but I'm not a fan of the Central Coast. It's almost like you hit it at the southern end - and the wall to wall houses/shops/carparks don't stop until you burst back out the northern end. Each suburb blends into it's neighbour with no real change.

Although did like Norah Head (on the peninsula) and did put an offer in on a property there before we landed at Stocko

Serveman, ellejay and TAJ like this.
  14. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

I am not a big fan either. I have a cousin who lives at Killcare Heights and has done so for over 20 years. Just recently he has purchased land at Wooli and is currently having a home built on it. He has seen the area ( CC) swell over the years and is finding the increase in traffic an issue now he is getting older.

Lizzie likes this.
  15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

WattleIdo, KateSydney and wilso8948 like this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

OMG, Geoff - :oops: - why did you make me start looking ...

WattleIdo, KateSydney, wylie and 2 others like this.
  17. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

Don't follow @Lizzie advice Stocko is a horrible place...

@Lizzie please stop telling people how good it is! (they will catch on)

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

No worries - his budget doesn't stretch to Stocko nowadays :D - we're safe

wilso8948 likes this.
  19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

There are way too many split blocks around there. The cheap houses are all duplexed & split. No spare land to mow, all the convenience etc.

wilso8948 likes this.
  20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I guess the next big questions are - do you want a walk in/do nothing - a renovators delight - an add your own touches nearly there - brick - weatherboard - near the city - in the suburbs - walk to the shops - handy to the train - single story - flat block - view - don't care ... ?

This looks good - but I'd very happily help you change the paint colour

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-mayfield-133275454

WattleIdo likes this.