NSW Where to retire?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by geoffw, 30th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Hi

We've lived many years in Canberra, but the winter is too hard on my wife. We're looking at somewhere where we can retire.

.North or south of Sydney would be OK. We have a daughter in Newcastle, though perhaps Newcastle prices might be a bit high (just judging on a quick look through the property websites).
    .Too far north, and the summer humidity might be a factor.
    .Prices are a definite factor. It would be nice to be able to get something suitable and have something left over. Our own house has a separate granny flat which is being let out, so selling would release that part of the equity. Our retirement funds are a bit tight.
    .A place that's large enough for Woolies/Coles, plus Aldi, and Bunnings. Presumably a place that size would have adequate medical facilities and a hospital.
    .While a beach is nice, it's not high on the priority. Striking distance of the beach if not on the beach might be good.

We'd prefer a standalone house, a townhouse at a pinch. A minimum of two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and car space for two cars (at least one undercover) would be good. We'd prefer some gardening space, but not too much.

A quick search found Nowra as possibly fitting the criteria, although we have no idea what it's like, and can't visit ATM.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thank you!

2. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

I would suggest in Central Coast NSW which is middle of Sydney & Newcastle

Can get a house from 300k onwards and plenty near the water either lakes or oceans

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Coastal is very hit & miss for humidity even in Qld. If you don't mind north, I'd say Port Macquarie over Taree or Coffs Harbour.

Each has a decent population & reasonable medical facilities and shops. M1 is still being upgraded and getting better.

Taree is just that bit closer to Newcastle but is further inland. Also a wee bit floodprone.

Port Macquarie has a large shopping centre, a few hills, river, clubs, Regional Airport etc.

Coffs - home of the Wallabies.

I haven't plugged Forster/Tuncurry as it's very touristy so ends up quite busy during school holidays (all is forgiven as they have a great fisherman's co-op). Nor Nambucca Heads (too small but gorgeous).

4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

What about Mt Druitt at a pinch?

Pinch being the operative word. They'd pinch anything out there lol?

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Whats your price range??

i think central coasts offers lifestyle and affordable

Serveman, C-mac and geoffw like this.
  6. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

I agree with @Scott No Mates. Port Mac would be the go without knowing all your circumstances. Short drive to visit daughter in Newy too. Only 2 hours now with freeway upgrades.

geoffw likes this.
  7. geoffw

Hmmmm. Mt Druitt. That wasn't on my radar, thanks.

Central Coast is definitely worth looking at, thanks I wasn't sure of prices there, I had suspected that it may be too expensive. But I'll check it out.

What's Port Macquarie and the north coast like for air access? Our other daughter is in Melbourne, so it would be a bit more difficult for her to reach us. For that reason, perhaps further north might be better, though the humidity might hurt. (Though aircon with solar might help in that regard).

I guess it's hard to say. It's a chicken and egg. I'd be looking at whatever gives the best value. Nowra seems to offer some reasonable 3br places in the $500k-$600k range, without going overboard.

ellejay likes this.
  8. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

For air access and what you are describing I would personally check out northern NSW around Ballina etc. There are a few Jetstar and Virgin flights a day, and Im pretty sure Rex or Aeropelican fly Ballina to Newcastle daily.

Coolangata is only an hour down the highway for more options too.

Maybe pack the car and go for a drive for a couple of weeks and spend a night or two in towns along the way.

Propin, Cmelderis, Gforce and 2 others like this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thats a good idea

At one point We were looking at moving to Barwon Heads, Vic but we stayed there for 2 weeks and realised it did not suit. Its not hard to work out

Anyone looking for a sea/tree change i would recommend renting out primary residence for 6 months and trial it. Its a massive decision, devastating if you get it wrong

WattleIdo, finnsk, lixas4 and 9 others like this.
  10. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Port Macquarie has daily air services to and from Sydney (under normal conditions) as does Coffs, Clarence valley airport and Ballina.
    Port has developed at a rapid pace over the last 5 years, with several large housing estates going ahead. Sovereign Hills being the most prominent. It is approximately 7km from the CBD.
    Port offers plenty of restaurants, shopping malls and has extensive medical facilities. Certainly within reach to Newcastle now that the M1 has been completed to just south of Grafton.
    You would definitely find something within the price range you mentioned.
    Whilst Nowra may tick a lot of boxes, you will have to navigate your way through Sydney when visiting Newcastle. Less than ideal I would think.

C-mac, wylie, Stoffo and 3 others like this.
  11. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Also Geoff, there is a noticeable difference in humidity north of Coffs.
    Port is often spouted to have an ideal climate.

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That was the reason used by the Wallabies - great temperature range & lower humidity.

Unless you go out of Coolangatta, direct flights to Melb are non-existant. Regional airports will get you to Sydney or Coolangatta.

If you don't want coastal, Gloucester isn't as bitter as Canberrrrrrrra.

geoffw likes this.
  13. philm

philm Member

How about the East Maitland area? 35 mins from Newcastle and the beach. 35 mins to Lake Macquarie. 30 mins to the Hunter Valley wineries. 30 mins to the airport.

It has a big new shopping complex, a new hospital under construction, and a Bunnings and Aldi.

It has a mix of new and older houses and is quite a bit cheaper than Newcastle.

14. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I feel that's overselling it!
    This is the cheapest house on the Central Coast and it basically looks like a recently painted knockdown to me. And it's a fair bit over the $300k mark.

Cmelderis, Danyool and TAJ like this.
  15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

For proximity to Newcastle, Central Coast would make sense. Personally I'd head to the GC around Palm Beach. AC will solve any heat problems.

16. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

Seems properties are not selling like hot cakes currently so the OP has plenty of time to research and narrow down to their preferences or budgets ...

Looking at recently sold in the area (Central Coast is not that small) there is a chance the OP can get some decent deals if virus flares up again or more on jobseeker benefits

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-between-0-350000-in-central+coast,+nsw;/list-1

geoffw likes this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Why are properties so cheap? And reasonably close to water

18. geoffw

The Central Coast sounds interesting - but I don't know much about the areas - cost, demographics etc. Would somebody be able to give a quick overview please?

Time is on our hands - we're prehaps talking 1-2 years.

19. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

Many cheap properties are retirement villages or on camping grounds or community ..etc

You have to do more researches geoffw

Initially thought only have a daughter in Newcastle but since another one in Melb -

At the end - work with the budget in mind ;)

Cmelderis and geoffw like this.
  20. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Nowra and surrounds has alot going for it. You could look at Bateman's Bay where you have the coast, rivers and not too far to the mountains. Depends on how close you want to be to your daughter :)

Last edited: 30th Apr, 2020
    BuyersAgent, Gforce and geoffw like this.