Where to move from Sydney!

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by dragon, 4th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Have really only started accumulating the last 2yrs and live in Brisbane so it’s been a case of having too. Completely plan to purchase in Melbourne at some stage soon. Agree with you, putting all eggs in the one basket isn’t a flash idea. However historic growth of Brisbane Over the last 25yrs is only slightly behind the majors

2. Cate Bell

Cate Bell Well-Known Member

But I don't hold everything in SE Queensland! And I don't hold just resi! But I have invested in SE Queensland for over 30 years and that is where I see good opportunity. I am sure that you know a lot about those regional areas, but I don't think many people would have those areas at the top of their list.

3. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    But you do love an exclamation mark ! :)

4. euro73

All that historical data is influenced by credit rules that don’t exist anymore . If we were in an era of “actuals” I’d be all about big cities - but borrowing power and holding power now play a much more significant role in what people can do . Not what they want to do. What they can do . This brings some regionals - the ones within relatively easy reach of cities and with 30-40,000 populations and hospitals and universities and good schools , more into the mix than perhaps they have been in the past .

All I’m saying is - not everyone leaving Sydney is going to Brisbane . Some are going for a sea change or a tree change And that was the OPs query :)

Whitecat likes this.
  5. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

To me that actually seems dangerous I think those marketos are very reliant on Sydney. I think someone will do worse in those and they would actually do in Sydney and it's not a good idea to invest in Sydney right now

6. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Over the very long run all Australian capitals go up by the same amount. I've seen data.

7. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

Fair concern - but I started my post with IF you’re bullish on Sydney ...

I take a very long term view, and am long term bullish on Sydney.

Yes there is a reliance to Sydney in the areas mentioned, personally I am far more comfortable having a reliance on one of the country’s biggest economies ... than say a secondary city or a regional area with 1 industry.

Specifically on Central Coast - values are being reset relative to Sydney, underpinned by population growth, investment in infrastructure (hospital, M1 to M2), jobs growth (government department relocations), and rejuvenation of waterfront (amenity).

Whitecat likes this.
  8. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Why would you invest there the 3% yield you have shown would make any growth useless. It is a noose around your neck How do you buy more with a 3% yield and 8% servicing requirement?

9. euro73

8% assessment rate ? Nope

10. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

So Frank Costa and Tom Brinkworth haven't had much success ! Tom started with a block of land and 100 chickens and now has $400 million worth of regional property. Frank has about the same started with land near Geelong. Plenty of people have dome similar but only gained about a tenth of that.

11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

One word...Climate.
    How many people talk about relocating to Orange or Goulburn and other inland towns, then decide it's too cold and go to the coast instead?

EN710 likes this.
  12. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I travel all over the country every week and jobs aside, I find it hard to beat Perth for lifestyle and value in a capital city. It has the best capital city beaches in the country, the price of property is still rock bottom in comparison, the weather is amazing, zero traffic, zero tolls, plenty to do with all the capital city amenities people would want. If you’re looking to invest, there is going to be some fantastic upside over the next few years too.

I currently live in Sydney on the LNS and experience all the frustrations that most people who live there experience. For me, Perth is the anti-Sydney utopia.

I was in Adelaide on Tuesday night which is quite nice too but will never be an investment powerhouse, although I do have property there and it’s performing quite well. I’m currently in Cairns and although it can be quite nice up here, I think it’s too susceptible to tourism shock on economic downturns to be attractive over the long term for investment, but if you’re looking for lifestyle it’s cheap and easy.

- Andrew

Propin, Codie, EN710 and 1 other person like this.
  13. euro73

Enough people seem to find them satisfactory for them , and other regionals , to be thriving .

Is New York seeing people leave for Miami because one has cold winters and the other doesn’t?

Does London see people leaving in droves for Madrid?

If climate is the only consideration , why does anyone live in Hobart or Geelong or Melbourne or anywhere south of Brisbane ?

There’s more than one suitable lifestyle for people to pursue , is the point .particularly in a country this large and diverse

I personally find SEQLD too sleepy and slow . But that’s just me. Others may find SYD or MEL too busy. Others may find anything bigger than Coffs Harbour a horrible thought ... it takes all kinds .

wilso8948 likes this.
  14. Cate Bell

Cate Bell Well-Known Member

Comparing apples with Orange(s). Both did well in business, not resi properties. Side note, I wish Tom would stop illegal land clearing.

standtall likes this.
  15. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Sydney is not in for another boom. Price declines may level out and we may even see a short lived tick up, but no boom in my opinion. Usual stagnation period can be 6 years+.

Where do people go? It depends on lots of factors, including but not limited to life-stage, wealth position, employment requirements, immediate family eg Kids, extended family/ friends, lifestyle & personal interests.

I am seeing people leave Sydney for Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Byron Bay, Central Coast & some regional

Where would I go? Newcastle or Sunshine Coast.;)

16. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Busy boy!

MyPropertyPro likes this.
  17. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Gosford needs to gentrify big time but once it does, it has the potential for 3-4 times price growth in a short period. There are fewer places this close to Sydney where you can still buy water views under half a million. Gosford high school is ranked #21 in NSW and fairly easy to get into compared to similar ranked selective schools. It's a matter of time before Asian/Indians discover the potential Gosford offers.

VB King likes this.
  18. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

Thank you guys. So Brisbane next!!

Cate Bell likes this.
  19. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

This is very true.

I would also add absolute waterfront is significantly better value than Sydney.

I expect in the long term your prediction on capital growth will beat out.

The new jobs are good salary white collar, and with a long term trend of employees being less tied to a physical office / flexible working arrangements from home etc, drivers of location will become less about distance to office and more about lifestyle and amenity.

We also have a generation of baby boomers that are downsizing or seeking tree or sea change. Central Coast obviously offers this, along with health care infrastructure which is a key consideration for these folk.

By the way ... the gentrification has begun, slowly but surely.

standtall likes this.
  20. frankjeager

frankjeager Well-Known Member

which part of gosford do you like most ?

fols likes this.