SA Where to invest in greater adelaide region for <450k

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by PropIn19, 29th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PropIn19

PropIn19 Member

Hi, I'm a new invester planning to buy my first IP in greater Adelaide region. My budget is 450k. I've done some research and found that the southern part is more gentrified. I would love to buy in Hallet Cove and nearby area, but it seems I've been priced out of that. I see some old properties in mophett vale, seaford rise etc in my budget. Are these good areas and is it worth buying an old property that needs renovation (in current market when material cost is sky rocketing)

I've also evaluated northern part- Salisbury, Elizabeth, Andrews Farm, Munno para, Evanston. I've heard Salisbury and Elizabeth, though in my range, have a really bad reputation and the probability of finding a good tenant who'll take good care of the property is far too less. Andrews farm, Evanston, Munno para i think are too far from the cbd.

Can locals or people who have bought there share their experiences?

Thanks

Shawn6334 likes this.
  2. Shawn6334

Shawn6334 Active Member

Have you looked at Christie's beach? I'm currently interested to buy there.

Christian77, PropIn19 and Serveman like this.
  3. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

I second Christie’s beach as well as Seaford and maybe Ridghaven and Redwood Park if you look hard.

PropIn19 likes this.
  4. Teatowel

Teatowel Well-Known Member

450k budget you are probably limited to hackham west, christies downs for ok condition. might get you into morphett vale with a good amount of work needed. assuming you want 3 bed and decent land.

older house small land or 2 bedder 450k will get you something nice maybe with change

seaford is ok but anything south or the river has a real traffic problem personally I would have a look at noarlunga downs over seaford for similiar money

PropIn19 likes this.
  5. PropIn19

PropIn19 Member

Yeah, I've checked christies beach. Can't find anything in my budget though, seems like I've missed the boat:(

6. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Buy both sides of a duplex in Elizabeth? 7% yield.
    I've got 5 IPs with 6 tenancies there.

Cia, Cousinit, Patel and 4 others like this.
  7. PropIn19

PropIn19 Member

Hows your experience so far with tenants? I heard it has a very bad reputation, high crime rate n all. As a landlord should I be worried?

8. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

The Salisbury LGA is huge. Tennant quality will vary exponentially from North to Heights. For a balance of Tennant quality to median buy in, my recommendation is East which fits around your Sub 450.

PropIn19 likes this.
  9. spludgey

I've got a fantastic PM down there. Sure there have been issues in the past and if I had a crap PM, they would have been a pain.
    But I had one break in in six years across the properties and that was while a property was vacant and someone stole the copper piping. My PM just claimed it on insurance and that was the end of it. Only lost a few hundred dollars.

craigc and PropIn19 like this.
  10. NickWCBA

NickWCBA Well-Known Member

I would have thought you’d struggle to get 7% yield at the moment.

PropIn19 likes this.
  11. PropIn19

PropIn19 Member

Do you think with current inflated price it's worth buying there?

12. PropIn19

PropIn19 Member

Yeah, don't think 7% is possible atm

13. spludgey

Cousinit and PropIn19 like this.
  14. PropIn19

PropIn19 Member

Do people like to rent such property? Seems like the ceiling needs some repairs. I know rental vacancy rate is at its all time low but do you know what has been the vacancy rate in this area historically?

15. AlexR

AlexR New Member

You won't be getting much in Salisbury for that price. Although it's a very large area that stretches from the sea to the hills. Down St Kilda way or Salisbury North you might be able to get something old and run down or maybe a unit somewhere. I definitely wouldn't look at Salisbury as one suburb you have the slums and then multi million dollar mansions with indoor swash courts and then houses on 10 acres. Salisbury is over 10 percent of Adelaide population wise.

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  16. Natasha Thomas

Natasha Thomas Member

How did you go with your search? Find anything? have just started looking in this area.

17. PropIn19

PropIn19 Member

No, still looking. I'm really confused about where to buy. Some friends from Adelaide tell me that southern area (around morphett vale) is better for my budget. They say north side has low socio-economic demography and would likely remain that way. I had put some offers on properties in Largs North and Greenwith and they were all rejected. I've now up my budget to 550k. So again confused whether to invest in logan area (crestmead, edens landing) or SA.
    What does your research tell you?
    I

Natasha Thomas likes this.
  18. Natasha Thomas

Natasha Thomas Member

My budget is still $450k so I've been looking at older homes in Morphett Vale, Hackham and Noarlunga Downs. I've also heard that the north is low socioeconomic, although yields are high.
    Have also been considering Leda in Perth which is the neighbouring area to Rockingham (which I've been priced out of now)

Interestingly I just tried to organise a virtual viewing of a property in Morphett Vale and was told no! Based on interest and availability, the agent wasn't willing to accommodate !

19. NickWCBA

NickWCBA Well-Known Member

If it were I, and I was set on Adelaide for that price point I’d almost certainly go north east. Ingle farm and the surrounds.
    I don’t own in the area, so no bias, just my opinion.

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  20. Natasha Thomas

Natasha Thomas Member

Can I ask why those areas?