Where to invest 10k

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by joel, 27th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

3. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Cant say..depends on your age/risk profile , how it fits with what else you have etc.
    Disclaimer: I hold vanlstg.
    During the equities boom it did almost 70% in a few yrs before pulling back a bit in line with cyclical activity. When the next equities boom comes around, it will make sydney look like a chump :)

4. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

What? (Edit : what is your prediction based on past growth, DRP, regular conts etc)
    I'm tempted for my wife to tip 10k into the high risk, I mean growth fund.

Most importantly, it may spark his investment interest and be just the start of it.

5. larrylarry

No I wasn't asking which fund to buy in nut which fund you were referring to when you cited the 2 funds earlier. I can't see those ones you mentioned on vanguard website.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Could the $10k go towards improving your brothers wage (e.g. training/certificates)? Might payoff well more than the fund.

$10k would probably get you a larger slice of all the gold in the world than it would of any other asset class... a few ounces of gold in your hand might not seem like a lot, but when you consider all the gold in the world would fit in a 20m cube it doesn't seem as bad :p

[​IMG]

Xenia likes this.
  7. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Its listed as a retail index fund as below..
    Vanguard Australia Retail - Investment products

And xbi is a spider s&p ETF not vanguard..but its awesome.
    xbi - Google Search.. Just the right amount depth vs breath in an industry that will grow. Given the aud is slighly higher thesedays, your money will buy more of this (quoted in usd) , plus biotech have reduced considerably ( despite no material degradation in fundamentals ) in line with cyclical patterns..biotechs are risky that way.and thwre is concentration of sector risk....i would say both of thesr are about 7yr minimun holds.
    however, i would not have a vanguard growth plus xbi..unless you are a sydney investor with a few mil under the couch:)

Last edited: 5th Apr, 2016
    Bran likes this.
  8. larrylarry

Thanks. Will have a look at them.

9. joel

joel Well-Known Member

This.

I showed him the power of compounding with regular contributions. I suggested adding $30 a week but he wants to contribute more which is good! I used the historical average of ~6%

Bran and larrylarry like this.