Where to get buliding-specific questions answered

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by trevorjohnston, 8th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. trevorjohnston

trevorjohnston New Member

Hi,

I'm looking to invest in an apartment in Sydney and I've narrowed it down to a few suburbs and potential buildings and listings that make it to my shortlist but I'm looking to do more specific due diligence. The real estate agents don't seem to be able to answer any of my specific questions and to be honest I don't trust a lot of the answers I get, especially if they're about defects that they will try to gloss over or make them sound better than they actually are. I also have lifestyle questions that won't necessarily be picked up by a builder or pest report.

Where do you usually get this sort of information that only a resident would know? I'm looking to ask a few specific questions that aren't available on those suburb profile aggregation websites.

Thanks

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Minutes of the Body Corp meetings.

The Y-man

3. trevorjohnston

trevorjohnston New Member

Thanks for the reply The Y-man.

Yeah I'm aware of the strata reports. I actually attend the strata meetings for my own building and have read all our reports since inception and they do not contain the small details that I'm thinking of. Things like livability, mosquitos, sunlight, mould, atmosphere, vibe, community closeness, loud neighbors, garage annoyances, traffic during peak hour.

Every time I've moved into a place I've come up with complaints about things that I wish I knew before moving in but were impossible to find out. If you were ever moving into a place and wanted to know these things that aren't necessarily obvious during the 15 minute inspection, how would you get this information?

Cheers

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Difficult.

The only way usually is to (a) talk to a neighbour (preferably a tenant as they have no vested interest) who comes in for a nosey or pokes their head out during an open, (b) rent there for a short term yourself (not practical unless there is AB&B), or (c) as I have done in the past, buy a tenanted property and ask the current tenants for a list of issues

The Y-man