Where should I put the pool?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by EN710, 13th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Consider aspect / shade. Do you want afternoon sun or shade etc? If you swim in the mornings might like the eastern aspect for example.

EN710 and JacM like this.
  2. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Nice, that close to the house/walls though may require some serious re-enforcing?

3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Yep, I need to tell the builder where I suppose to put the pool so they can put deeper concrete pier. Talked to a structural engineer, if it's close the might need about 2.6m pier (which I think wouldn't be far off from what I need for my land anyway, with the amount of fill)

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We have an 8m pool... too short for laps for serious fitness. I would definitely put it where it can be supervised from inside. Once our kids were older and I didn't have to sit outside I was able to stay inside and cook or watch tv whilst the were in the pool because it is right outside our living area. If it was around a corner and didn't allow easy supervision from inside, I would not want to buy the house.

So if you want to swim seriously I would go for smaller pool with swim machine and keep some hard too. Look at the bedroom end will put off many potential buyers. You need a connection from the living area of a house IMO.

Smaller pool means cheaper to run though pools aren't really that expensive to run and upkeep (especially when kids are older and not swimming much - and we generally don't touch it through winter).

EN710 likes this.
  5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Any rough floor plan :confused:? I'd love to actually visit places with pools to have an idea, but pool display is not exactly easy to find :oops:

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Have you explored the easement? What's there?
    Can you build over it? Push the pool back over it if possible??

EN710 likes this.
  7. DoubleD

DoubleD Well-Known Member

Make sure you put the skimmer box downwind. Nothing worse then all the leaves floating the opposite end and not getting suck up

Heinz57 and EN710 like this.
  8. wylie

I will see if I can do a plan or post a photo later (about to start work now).

EN710 likes this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

That does look good.

I am also still researching but thinking I should definitely get a pool blanket as it helps reduce evaporation, keeps the pool warm and heat pump...don't ask me any questions about this, because I know zip at the moment. Am going to a friends next week who has smaller backyard, installed fibreglass pool and recommends all these extras. All up with landscaping etc. paid $30,000.
    Also recommended not to get fountain feature because you are cutting down space, looks pretty but I agree with him.

MTR:)

EN710 likes this.
  10. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Its 2 m easement for piping I think. I don't think I can built on it :confused:

11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Worth looking into if you like that option.
    An "easement" and "pipe" and two different beasts! Head to 1100.com.au and report back with info ;)

EN710 likes this.
  12. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Hahah but the land is not even done yet, checking my contract and the easement is for sewerage. Will definitely look into that option though.

@wylie @neK @MTR for side pool, some of the pic in houzz is close to what it might looks like if I put the pool on the side (minus nice landscaping unless maybe someone can teach me how to do it).

Links below - still need that space to allow you walk on the side I think.

Kaywood project - Contemporary - Pool - dallas - by Classic Urban Homes

gallery

And I wouldn't have mind a swim spa instead, but not sure about machine maintenance and it is a lot harder to integrate it to the house :confused:
    Ferntree Gully Project - Contemporary - Pool - melbourne - by Apex Landscapes & Pools

Attached Files:

13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Please do not put a pool over an easement. They are designated easements for a reason. If you want the pool (and machine) for fitness, then you can save $$$ by ditching the spa. It is afterall an expensive bathtub that you cant use most of the time in Melbourne anyway - too cold and windy outdoors.

EN710 likes this.
  14. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

True, I will have bath tub inside the house anyway :) I'd still like the pool though. Would have opt for the Fastlane swim spa in a heartbeat if it's actually not the same price as the 12m pool!

Angel likes this.
  15. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Is this possible?

pool.jpg

If not I would be putting the pool at the side like option 1.

We put ours at the rear but I miss the space...and my shed.

neK likes this.
  16. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Anything is possible if I have spare $200K maybe :rolleyes:. Pool extended until the back of the property - not possible because of easement (and I'd like my grass)

Can put your shed on top of the pool, just make sure it's stylish

17. wylie

I would put it where it is easily seen from the kitchen and living areas, maybe a fairly small pool with a swim machine if you want to "swim". A long skinny lap pool would be nice, but they aren't conducive to kids playing and jumping in, so are in my opinion more a mature "water feature" pool than a "kids having fun" pool. You can buy a waist harness with rope to tie up so you are "swimming" without actually moving, pulling against the rope, if you really need or want to "swim".

I'd leave as much grass as possible so there is another play space for kids in winter when they are not swimming. The very corner looks like it would work but it cuts the two grass areas in half, which may or may not be a problem. It is not easy to see the plan as I cannot increase its size.

EN710 likes this.
  18. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Wait a moment @wylie

Attached the larger version

Each box is a meter upload_2016-1-19_12-50-33.png

Attached Files:

19. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

5.5m by 2.2m oasis swim spa for 18k is what Id do.

20. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I got quoted $22.5K for the extra deep :eek:
    What woul you do to make it looks good/ integrated?

I still like the Fastlane idea better though as it supposedly less turbulent
    Swim Spas | Swim Spa | Swimming Spas but Starting price is $46,860