Where should I put the pool?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by EN710, 13th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

We are considering the same at the moment - ie utilise dead space at the side of our house or squeeze in a pool in the backyard. Best using dead space seems the most logical.

2. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Isn't that risky for an escape perspective. Thinking OH&S

3. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Hmmm, you're right, i didnt think from that perspective.
    Reminds me of what happens in the Sims game when you build a pool, get the sim to swim, take away the ladder.
    That said I have seen some very sexy looking houses where the pool is on the side, you can get out of the pool, but there's only really room for sitting and dipping your legs. There is no actual access to other points.

4. Ozzie in Texas

it's a swimming pool. you can sit and dangle your legs wherever in the pool. or sun bathe in the backyard which you have left free and open.

5. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Risk mitigation perspective....For those who can't swim :D

EN710 likes this.
  6. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Wanna learn? :D

My only against for putting it on the side is access. It makes the property completely inaccessible without going into the house. if we have another meter of space on the side then mayyybeee

bob shovel and Property Twins like this.
  7. Ozzie in Texas

From a risk perspective, gates mitigate that for the young who can't swim. Swimming accidents will happen regardless of where the pool is placed.

In relation to accessibility, most houses don't have accessible routes to their backyards anyway. And practically thinking, what circumstances would necessitate that kind access anyway. Most homes don't have that kind of access.......but that may be because I know of only living in the inner suburbs of Sydney, as well as living in Los Angeles and now Texas, where space has always been an issue.

8. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

There are adults who can't swim either

Most houses I see in the outer suburbs usually have side access tho

9. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

On behalf of your fur-children I vote the first pic, sans the spa, and tilt the pool 90 degrees to run west-east starting from the LH top corner. Stay with a small pool and ditch any notion of a long pool that dominates this small backyard - it seems awkward.You will want to sell one day - and you eliminate many families as buyers IMO . Also ditch the swim machine and use it towards a deposit on a bigger block which could better accommodate a large pool. A plunge pool can be heaps of fun, and its good to have some extra lawn for your pets to stretch their legs at least a little.
    Disclaimer - disregard if you are an intensely competitive swimmer.

wylie likes this.
  10. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

So you mean pic no 3 but shorter pool? :rolleyes:
    I'm not intensely competitive, but I swim regularly 3-4 times a week. Helps with my back and shoulder pain. It also helps me release some stress. Being in the water is kind of calming

Foxy Moron likes this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

2 hands down
    we are going through same scenario. need to view the pool from living areas IMO and works best, desirable and better for selling imo

wylie likes this.
  12. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Can you fit something like this?
    [​IMG]

Ozzie in Texas and Redwing like this.
  13. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I might be able to, though maybe a concrete pool instead with 2m width (was thinking of fibreglass but they're not thin enough). I'm not sure about the budget to make it this pretty though :confused:

@MTR as in second option with pool at the back?

14. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

Ive got an even smaller yard (8.5 x 10.5) and a thinner side return, and im looking into getting a pool - and a spa!

Im happy with a small pool but the landscaping will have to look amazing to compensate for cannibalising the yard. We also have neighboring properties built right up to our boundary in one corner.

i like the pool down the side in your yard.

EN710 likes this.
  15. THX

THX Well-Known Member

You know what they say about pools though; That's a hole in the ground where you pour your money.

EN710 likes this.
  16. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

My sister spent about 100k* on their new swimming pool... its partly because while the ground was being dug up the original concrete pool for their home was found... it cost a bomb to remove...
    *They didn't tell me how much they ended up spending... I am only guessing here. But this is also after they spent up big bucks on a new outdoor deck, internal renos, new kitchen, new backyard grass etc...

Last edited: 15th Jan, 2016
    EN710 and THX like this.
  17. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Yep. We can only do it after build (builder need the hole to be a Lot away from the house for it to go in first) so still have time to decide. That's said, I personally think my PPOR is only complete once it has something watery - water feature is useless, so pool or a spa at least. From what I read spa can be pretty high maintenance too.

18. THX

THX Well-Known Member

A pool always looks great, can be money pits though. My neighboring business is a pool shop, I see first hand how much people spend month after month. I'd love one myself, and if the wife gets her way might get one but the financial side of my brain screams are you mad.

EN710 likes this.
  19. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

The wife usually gets her way :p

My financial brain is screaming in pain...

20. THX

THX Well-Known Member

She must know mine :)

EN710 likes this.