Where does Australia find it's wealth next?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by JamesP, 17th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

I have 2 daughters and 1 son. My 2 daughters are both school teachers here on the NSW north coast. They initially had to do their time working away from home in Sydney accumulating enough credits to perhaps one day apply for positions back home.
    Thinking for a moment that their hours are limited to an 8.30 - 3.30 role is ludicrous. They have lesson preparation, exams and essays to mark along with extra curriculum activities to manage.
    Not to mention reports that need to be written for every student twice yearly. When is this done? Yep, after hours , for many hours.
    Time away from home to attend overnight excursions, often for several nights, all within the framework of their job description. Do you do this? I very much doubt it!
    It seems to me that you didn't pay attention to much at school otherwise you wouldn't be whinging so much. Your friends that you state you have frank conversations with, well, all I can say is I'm glad they didn't teach my kids.
    Money wise my son earns over double what my daughters do and he is an electrician who left school at 16.
    No wonder you go by the name Illusivedreams. Very apt in my opinion!

2. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

Why the hell not teach religion! Myself I am an Atheist (possibly agnostic) believe in religion or not up to you but with the impact it has had on our world I believe everyone show have knowledge of the history, teachings and influence of all the major religions.

Angel likes this.
  3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

For the stats nerds:

Value number two is Data Driven Analysis. I had to attend a PD to find out what this is.
    Teachers do not report twice a year at the school where I work, they now issue four reports to parents per subject, plus retest for Literacy and Numeracy and other KLAs every five weeks. That's right, twice per term. Once tested, the results for every student in each teacher's class is mapped onto a chart with little arrows for each student showing (hopefully) progression across each tested quadrant for every student. Another time consuming activity they have to accomplish twice each term.

Other outside school hours professional duties off the top of my head:

Every week is at least one compulsory all school meeting
    Every fortnight there will be Whole of Faculty meetings
    Every afternoon emails or phone calls have to be made to parents about issues regarding individual students
    Classroom teachers must liaise with other colleagues about an unlimited number of various matters
    Compulsory Playground Duties on average once a day for 20 minutes each
    Holding disorderly students back for detentions in lunch breaks
    Going to the bathroom is an optional extra, lunch can often be attached to one or other meal time activity.
    Attending outside school hours cultural, musical and sporting events to "show support" for the participating students and their departments
    English teachers taking students to night-time debating competitions, Maths and Science teachers taking students to events at the Universities
    Mandatory Professional Development as arranged between the Employer and Union as part of ongoing learning for all teachers, often undertaken on the Pupil Free days within the school holiday period while students are absent. For example after Easter and during January

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

That reminds me:

I should be redoing a Certificate Qualification I completed in 2014 that is only valid for three years. Something about incorporating Digital Technology in the Classroom. I looked at the first page last year and went What The? I probably have to be at work logged in to the Local Network to access it.

5. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

I don't mind if all Religions are taught to explain history.
    Its not the case only Catholicism is taught. Its focused on religion and not on history or historical significance of religion in society.

TheSackedWiggle likes this.
  6. Illusivedreams

The fact your son earns x2 your daughter only means that Electricians earning what a GP earns is an absolute joke.

Lack of apprenticeships and other roadblocks have created this stupid shortage of tradesman in our country.

@TAJ you can ask what I do instead of assuming . I work 6 days per week 60+ hours. As a small business owner everything is in my responsibility. From deliveries to cleaning bathrooms .
    To unloading containers overnight.

As a small business owner you have responsibilities and very little entitlements.

When my friends who are teachers took their kids to the snow last Holidays I was working.

When they went to Hawaii for 5 weeks over summer I was working.

Every 10 weeks teachers have 2 weeks to prep.

Is this not enough?

Why cant school open at 9am and have 1/2 teachers on duty from 8.20am to give parents a chance to make it to work?

We expect our nurses to be at work on time, We expect cost to do 8/10 hour days. We expect every other institution to do it.
    But teachers is always an exception ....

7. Illusivedreams

What is wrong with having 2 teachers on duty from 8am?

Please explain this.

What's wrong with having teachers on duty until 4.30 pm

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

What is wrong with using outside school hours care like everyone else in your situation?
    Read the list I wrote this morning.
    You chose to be self-employed. You too can hire a manager and take a holiday if you can arrange it.

Breathe, smell the roses.

This too shall pass

9. Illusivedreams

If small business owners had same entitlements as Teachers we would not have a business.
    If i hire a manager on $80,000 year my profit would drop so much so that running a business would not make sense . This is why Small business owners put in the hours they do and why 90% will not survive to 10 years.

I suggest you come out and speak to some mothers (mainly) in the play ground and ask them about barriers of women in workplace.

Schooling and unreasonable hours is 1 enormous reason women cant go back to work or full time.

So as society I believe we have considerable resources in schools to assist working parents especially women in returning to work.

Im not talking about when your kids
    Im talking about the 5 years olds 7 years olds that still need parental assistance in getting to school and cant get home on their own. If you have 2/3 kids the cost of care becomes 700 Net per week which is a $50,000 salary. So most women/men choose to not go back to work.

An extract from government site, Women pay gender gap.

The proportion of the gap attributable to years out of the workforce has increased from 9 percent to 21 percent. This reflects the criticality of businesses continuing to identify and address the structural barriers that prohibit women from returning to the workforce. Recent research continues to highlight the additional pressures on women in this respect, in particular in relation to the compounding effect on lifetime wealth accumulation and superannuation. Notably the 2007 HILDA survey included 'access to unpaid maternity leave' as a factor, which was subsequently omitted in 2014 as a result of the introduction of a Government funded Paid Parental Leave scheme. However, in both reports it is clear that interruptions in work history continue to play a role in explaining the gender pay gap

10. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

My son earns around a 180k a year, now. It has taken him quite a while to get to this level (12 yrs) and took on considerable debt to get in the game. He and his wife rent as they simply couldn't get the business off the ground and afford a mortgage. In another couple of years they will have enough saved for a substantial deposit on a PPOR. They realised that the business will be the cornerstone to their wealth in the future and were willing to forgo home ownership initially to get some runs on the board.
    I have had a carpet & upholstery cleaning business partnership for over 35 yrs, coupled with a mould remediation sideline business started a decade ago; so I am very aware of the sacrifices needed by small businesses to become successful. Long hours, time away from family, limited holidays are all part of being self employed until you are kicking real goals.
    I don't think you understand that teachers hours extend way beyond the school opening hours. Don't forget they are parents too.
    You come across as quite envious of somebody else's profession. Why? It really isn't healthy.
    At both schools where my daughters teach the school grounds are open half an hour prior to class commencing ( 8: 30 and 8:40 respectively) and the grounds are under teacher supervision, which operates on a roster system.
    There are other arrangements parents need to make if they start work early or obviously work later than the school opening hours; and yes, they have to pay for it as they should. Teachers are NOT babysitters.

11. Illusivedreams

When you raised your Children 30+ years ago 1970s 1980s

1 salary was enough to provide for the house and pay the mortgage.

1 Salary was enough to pay for food for the family

1 Grand parents retired earlier

A mortgage could be paid off in 5 years.

We are not in this world any more

Yet our schools unlike most institutions dont evolve to support this new reality.

New reality BOTH parents need to work

Key is NEED

12. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Once again I can sense your envy.
    Seriously, you need to adapt to the world you are in now! Comparing today to yesterday is futile.

13. radson

radson Well-Known Member

I think @Illusivedreams makes some valid points. From my understanding much of the school system is based on precedents set during an agricultural age.

The whole system seems ripe for disruption. It often doesn't seem to take into account the child's needs, parents needs nor future employers.

Perthguy, Angel and Illusivedreams like this.
  14. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

That's insane. No wonder some people quit.

15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

And I thought you might think they quit when they cant get employed for any more than about eight hours a week

16. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

You'd think. But administrative inefficiency has always annoyed me :p I'm not quite proving it by posting this though!

radson likes this.
  17. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

If what they were doing was teaching comparative religious studies, I'd be all for it - absolutely important information that everyone should have knowledge of. Unfortunately that is not what SRE is - it is proselytizing by whichever church happens to have volunteers attend the school.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

Illusivedreams likes this.
  18. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I believe it is based on precedents set post industrialization - institutionalized education was not really a thing during the agricultural age, and definitely not universal education.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

19. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Perthguy likes this.
  20. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Education has been failing our kids for years. When I was in primary school they failed to teach me maths using pieces of painted wood! :eek:

Lucky you don't need a good education to be successful but it would progress society forward if we could teach kids useful things at school. If kids were engaged, interested and challenged at school then there would be less bullying and behavioural issues.

Ripe for disruption is spot on.