When is personal debt a good thing?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Username86, 4th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Username86

Username86 Well-Known Member

Currently sitting at a car dealership waiting for our car to be ready.
    We paid cash for the car but the manager was very willing to sign us up to finance.
    His argument was that at 5% it could be more cost effective than taking money from the offset if your mortgage rate is higher.
    The argument makes financial sense but what would this do for serviceability?

2. Simon Moore

Simon Moore Residential & Commercial Mortgage Broker Business Member

Level 2 287 Collins St Melbourne VIC 3000
    If you are taking money out of your offset account against an IP, the interest rate would need to be lower than your after-tax interest rate, even if you are paying a nominal 5%, the after-tax interest rate should be significantly lower.

If you are paying more than 5% on your OO loan then call your bank and ask for a discount.

Simon Hampel, Terry_w and thatbum like this.
  3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I agree with @Simon Moore - its hard to see how it even makes financial sense!

Terry_w likes this.
  4. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Generally the shorter loan terms on car loans hurt serviceability, more so than the rate itself.

E.g. if you have a 5% rate on a 20,000 car loan with a 5 year term, the repayment is $377 per month. This has ~$60k hit to your borrowing power.

If you increase the rate to 7.5% and keep everything else the same, the repayment is $400 per week. This has ~$10k additional hit to borrowing power.

Even though you've had a 50% increase to the interest rate on the loan, the actual impact on servicing isn't all that different (marginal at best, with a $23 increase in monthly expenses).

Compare this to a 5% home loan facility used for a car purchase. This would mean an additional expense of around $140 per month in the banks eyes (@ 7.25% P&I 30 years). The impact on your borrowing power is the 20k you've used to borrow the car itself. No additional damage done to serviceability, you've just soaked up the cost of the car.

5. Username86

Thanks for your response, I hadn't even considered tax outcome for investment debt.

Definitely paying less.

Agreed.. Maybe I should have said the argument seems logical. Was more thinking if they matched or bettered the banks loan rate.

6. Username86

Thanks Redom.
    I have absolutely no intentions of taking on any bad debt but it did get me thinking. I assumed it would have servicing consequences but I wasn't sure what they would be.

7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

They wont.

8. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

If your short on equity then car loans make sense. Preserve equity for the next investment purchase, at the expense of reducing borrowing capacity.

9. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Could it be that the dealer would make just as much commission from the finance as the sale of the car? Hmm...

10. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

And from all the add-on insurance they sell too

Add-on insurance | ASIC's MoneySmart