When did you "wake up"?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Steven Ryan, 18th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Love that story!

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

**** the bed? :p

S.T, inertia and datto like this.
  3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

For me it was probably 12 months ago. Although a few years prior I knew climbing the career ladder had lost its appeal, did I really want to work with people I can't stand? The level I was at I was happy with and as a junior you always say you want to work your way to the top and learn etc to keep the bosses happy but I got sick of that charade. Started by milking a redundancy to get me out of there them hit the road.
    Then 12 months ago the mindset game kicked in and I knew these great things were possible but now my mindset was catching up. Action time! I turned the frustration into motivation to get learning and out of the rat race!

The wife isn't quite on the same but I'm doing things subliminally to push her as well so it's working for us and she is more optimistic than me so had a head start, I was the pessimist but it's all evolving and changing now!

datto likes this.
  4. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

That's daylight saving for you. Queenslanders had already been up for an hour or so

datto likes this.
  5. Patamea

Patamea Well-Known Member

0-25: Thought I knew everything :cool:o_O
    25-27: Realised I knew nothing :eek::confused::(:oops:
    28: Lightbulb moment :);):D

(In summary)

6. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Exact same ages for me too. Must be something about hitting mid 20's that clicks guys brains into gear.

Patamea likes this.
  7. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Sufficent blood flow would be my guess.

Phantom and DaveM like this.
  8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Ha. I keep the potty on the bed head.

bob shovel likes this.
  9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

My Dad once told me this was the case - old wisdom that you don't hear much anymore. He was trying to warn me that a man will either grow up mid-twenties or chances are he won't grow up at all. While I consider that a bit black and white, there does seem to be a noticeable hurdle that most guys get over by that age.

Tim86 likes this.
  10. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

I'm still hitting snooze but will be up shortly.

samiam and inertia like this.
  11. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I woke up around age 17 when I started my first business. I have always known what I wanted to do career wise and got straight into it. School, Uni (wrong course), TAFE, then straight into first job at age 20 at Microsoft.

12. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Well, hopefully I'm 5 years ahead of the curve :-/

13. devank

devank Well-Known Member

My daughter woke me up 9 months before she was born in 2008. Unlike many, I was already 33!
    That was the wake-up call saying "mate... now you got responsibility!".
    I was thinking "oh crap... Now, I need to make sure she will have a 'roof over her head'.

Literally speaking she is still waking me up though :(

Property Twins, Xenia, Singo and 4 others like this.
  14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

And that doesn't stop. Even when they leave home.

I was woken at 4AM today with a message from my daughter in Egypt asking exactly what time of day she was born.

bob shovel and devank like this.
  15. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Ha ha. Possibly she is trying to predict her future!
    Tell her to take the time difference & day light savings into considerations :)

16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it sounds like something astroillogical.

She has said been a frequent traveller and has been warned about sending messages when it's our sleep time. Although she's told me to turn my alarm off, a week ago we got a welcome message from Beirut to tell us that she wasn't near the bomb blast; and another five days later because she was waiting in Beirut airport during a erythromycin noisy thunderstorm which was quite scary in the circumstances.

17. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Hey, same here.
    My daughter just turned 7 and I just turned 40, very similar situation.
    When she was born, that gave me a strong drive to be a provider for my family.
    Now she can have whatever she wants in life, but I still work her hard, train her hard, cause money can't buy greatness.

Property Twins and devank like this.
  18. Jkat

Jkat Well-Known Member

I think it is a multi-factor thing. Hubby didn't 'wake up' until his position was retrenched (2nd one in a row) and as part of the retrenchment package he was given 5 sessions with a careers coach. Luckily, this was a really good one who was able to really get down to the nitty gritty of it. After his session he 'woke up' to what he wanted in life (at approx 35years old).

Alternatively, I have always known what I want and work on getting it. I think this is because my parents taught me to listen to myself and trust myself. As such, when things change and my goals change or my position changes I have no problems in saying that it doesn't work for me and listen to myself to find out what will work.

I think a lot of it boils down to emotional intelligence. As a parenting educator I spend a lot of time speaking with parents about what they want for their children and then helping them align their parenting practices with the goals they want for their kids in 10-20 years (i.e.do I want a child who is assertive or passive, social or anti-social, engages in risky behaviour or listen to their safety needs etc).

My own personal observations have been that people who tend to listen to themselves and their bodies are way more likely to 'wake up' than people who don't.

WattleIdo likes this.
  19. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

I'm fascinated by the responses which show two consensuses:
    • Wake up naturally around 25-30
    • Get jolted awake by major circumstance change
    I was aware that human brains continued to develop until mid-20s (and closer to 30 in some cases). I didn't, however, form a link between that and my own "waking up".

Perhaps the trick is not to bog yourself down so much–and so deeply–before your mid 20s, that you can't hear the alarm going off a few years later..

Touristy likes this.
  20. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

True dat