What's wrong with this picture?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by bob shovel, 7th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Anyone see any issues?
    DSC_1012.JPG

Whats the deal when you ask the pm for an extra power point because the kitchen isn't functional and also it's a safety issue if the kettle or toaster falls off the bench and they don't do it? There's only a power point on the left.

Sparky came out worked out to put a point on the right side easy enough (brick internal walls).he came back a couple of days ago with no prior warning or call and replaced the double point on the left with a 5 outlet power point... That does not solve the problem!

I'm cooking up a storm today and running an extension lead across the stove top, could have been done neater and better but hey I'm just a tenant!
    Mrs rang the pm left a message to break the lease, 2 days later they called me. Pm explained the LL hasn't lived there so they don't know what it's like. I told them I don't care, we do and you (pm) know it's a **** layout and impractical. Then says sparky provided a lump sum price for pp bit not for the other option as he wasn't sure how long etc.. I told them the LL is being tight and it needs to be fixed, it will be an ongoing issue and if they didn't like that sparky get another!

2. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

There isn't much bench space so having one powerpoint for that area to cover is quite normal.
    But it does look like a budget kitchen so you cannot expect them to cater to your every need.

In the end it isn't the landlords problem if you decided to rent a property with a small kitchen which isn't suitable for your needs.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

How on earth do you work with so little bench space? I do agree that it needs a power point on the other side. Is there scope where you are standing to take the photo to get yourself a moveable chopping board or extra bench on wheels?

Nemo30 likes this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

No bench space at all! Can you put the microwave on top of the fridge?

5. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

What a terrible kitchen - I couldnt live like that.

hobo likes this.
  6. bob shovel

Budget with a 900 oven and walk in pantry?? Is a dog's breakfast. And yes we understand "rent as is"

It's frustrating! Mirroring that bench in front is the sink and same bench space 600mm each side. The owners haven't had a clear plan and /or run out of money there's a few funny things in this place, but there's not a great deal of places to choose from in the area unfortunately. The neighbouring one got 1 split system unit our one had no air con, but after 4months they got the ducted installed - promised within a month if not prior to us moving in. They also had a second split installed on the front one recently.

7. bob shovel

That's where we had it but now have a bigger fridge. The microwave was in the laundry!

8. bob shovel

Also before moving on there were finishing off jobs that the LL had to get done, air con also after chasing again for a clothes line eventually got put up.... Outside the back door under the patio... at head height

Bran likes this.
  9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I've lived in similar set ups, had less bench space in Japan - much smaller actually as the oven was the microwave.

Just get a small trolley or small table to sit by the bench for the small appliances, as suggested above. I don't think it is fair to rent a place, then expect power points to be installed if you saw what you were getting. No harm in asking though - At least they put something in.

I would run the extension cord down the left and along the floor if I needed power on the right and didn't have a PowerPoint.

10. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

WattleIdo likes this.
  11. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

What an awesome little set up, now left me turn that element on ..........

12. bob shovel

Can't do the trolley or leads with kids!

13. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

Couldn't see the walk in pantry but I said budget because:

1. I don't see any branding on the oven and the rangehood looks like the cheap kind.
    2. They used basic white tiles and didn't run them up towards the rangehood.

14. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

put the trolley in the walk in pantry and wheel it out when using.

15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

With a kitchen that big, where do you put the kids?

16. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

Can you get rid of the kids?

Cactus likes this.
  17. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Yeah, a bit small Bob.

I'd need more bench space for all my paraphernalia.

18. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

Agreed, crappy kitchen.

Surprised no one mentioned you paying for it to be installed? Extra power points is not a necessary addition, you could choose to put away appliances when not in use or use a trolley next to it for the other appliances. Inconvenient as it is..

No harm in asking, but they don't have to provide it and an extra power point is only about $200. A lot cheaper than moving house.

19. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Wine bottle is too near empty, or not empty enough for the time of day suggested by that shadow (depending on your perspective).

JacM likes this.
  20. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

You've made my crappy kitchen look lavish.

bob shovel likes this.