NSW What's wrong with Lakemba?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Shawn, 1st Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

so rapes and murders go unreported in some cultures?

2. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

If you are going to make outlandish statements then you should really do a little bit more research otherwise you just end up looking silly. You continually use Bankstown in reference yet we are all talking about Lakemba. Do you realise that Lakemba is not even in the same council as Bankstown? Further the suburb is actually very different demographically. The 'bro's' as you refer to are few and far between in Lakemba, the area is mostly Bengali nowadays and there are actually many more Churches than Mosques in Lakemba. You have obviously had a bad experience somewhere along the way- probably in Bankstown as you constantly refer to it, but you need to educate yourself on an area before you start making ridiculous statements about rape and crime that have already proven you wrong.
    That said Lakemba, of course has its problems, nobody is debating that. But unreported and un-investigated rape and murders is quite frankly absurd and really seem to paint the picture of your argument. My biggest problem is the rubbish on the street, it really annoys me that there is so much rubbish around but this is something that CANTERBURY council really needs to address.

3. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

Seriously, who cares. I can think of many far worse places to live.

Investing is about finding the unappreciated gem. With all the criticisms hurdled against Lakemba, it has performed well above many other suburbs in Sydney. It has great access to transport and is relatively close to Sydney CBC and even closer to Bankstown and even Parramatta.

I bought my first IP in Campsie.......when Campsie was the Lakemba of today.

I bought my second in Canterbury.......which was then no better than Campsie.

At the end of the day, it is about infrastructure. How close is it to CBD. What is the transport infrastructure like. Is there a renters demand.

IP is about looking at what renters want. Full stop.

Inov8ive and sanj like this.
  4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

C'mon Sash, don't trot out the race or religion card, this is about IP or PPOR in Lakemba.

Part of the growing problem in Australia is now it seems everyone must be scared in case they offend some minority group, bugger that I say :)

No, not really, bit of a waste of time really, what I was getting at is some cultures accept this sort of thing more so than what Australia has/does. So some may be more inclined to act this way when here. No need for a forensic discussion on this.

I know some people who were in recent wars in Europe, I can tell you for a fact that if you annoy them they may cave your head in with a brick, this is likely to happen as they are used to shooting and killing & do not suffer fools real well at all, I know of one person who did such a thing in a neighborhood dispute, unlike say the Eastern suburbs where you would be more likely to get a letter from a solicitor in a dispute

It is not rocket science here you know. If you walked into the local singing group get together, or let's say property get together & yelled out "you can all get stuffed" You would probably walk out all in one piece if your not too close to Sash :p , go do that at the local bikie club house and how do you think that will pan out ? Do we need a deep discussion or stats for this ?

People should just go on the ground and live in an area for a while. There is nothing to argue over really, in our great country, anyone who wants to can go and get a PPOR or IP in such a place, your free to do so.

I do think also when you live in an area you become very aware, if your eyes are wide open, of just what sort of company your in. Working in an area can give you a good idea too, but living there 24/7 reveals warts and all. Of course there is also pockets that may be worse or even totally problem free in any suburb.

5. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

thats a long and complicated way of saying that actually rape and murder isnt normal in lakemba like you claimed originally.

i mean seriously? you really expected to say something as outrageous as rape and murder is NORMAL and youre suprised that someone pulled you up on it?

if i casually dropped in conversation that i was at the grammys this year and designed the first iphone would i be justified in chucking a tanty if someone pointed out it clearly wasnt true?

6. dabbler

Yes, very aware of where it is. Part of the problem is many things are being said in general & yes, I do this and on purpose, it is part of all forums, the message is clear though if you look at it.

I do not need to research, I actually know what happens, you also do not have to look far to see what does happen. I was not saying we tolerate it, and if you think everything is reported or even persued, you would be having yourself on.

Canterbury Bankstown area, is where I refer too & not in a totality, there are good and bad pockets. Lakemba itself is also a dump, sorry, but that is my say. But everyone is free to go live there if they wish, or buy an IP, I have no beef either way on that, part of the reason this country is great.

Over 3 decades I have had involvement one way or another in all these areas. Some are not that bad, some are literally very dangerous.

The "bro" thing is something Sash was saying, nevermind. These people using this term are everywhere now.

So, instead of being bogged down, what do you say ?

Buy and IP there or no ?

Buy a PPOR there or no ?

On the PPOR, if you say no, why ? if you say yes, why ?

7. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

I have lived in a Canterbury City Council suburb and regularly frequented Lakemba and surrounding suburbs. I did not find it very different to other areas in the West/Southwest in regards to crime. I have lived in various areas of Sydney. You hear about the usual stuff on TV just like a lot of other suburbs, but never really saw it in my day to day wanderings. I'm not saying crime doesn't exist, just that it's not rampant like many would assume.

sanj and Ozzie in Texas like this.
  8. sanj

just a little tidbit for you, Lebanon has largely a very similar murder rate to USA, of 5 per 100k. now, i happen to think that USA isnt the standard we should hold ourselves too in australi at all but i doubt you would make the claim that immigrants from USA would culturally accept murder and treat is as normal. guess what? the same is the case with lebanese people.

there are 5 murders per 100k in lebanon, it has fluctuated between 4 and 5 this decade.

to claim that it is culturally somehow accepted when clearly a very minor % of the population is completely inaccurate and another outlandish statement that cannot be defended.

you're cherry picking examples of a small minority within a particular minority and extrapolating it to somehow represent the entire culture. primary school type stuff, "that boy from the school across the road stole my bike so i now hate all boys from that school and theyre all bad people."

most people grow out of that thankfully.

9. dabbler

Oh gawd.

I do not think this is going anywhere. You totally missed the point.

If you think it is a fine area, then no problem. I do not think it is worthwhile going into it any further as your probably never going to buy IP or a home to live in there anyway.

10. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

You are doing what older and more established "so called" Australian's have always done. Your words are no different from the attacks against Italians or Greeks in 1950s.......or even what I went through growing up in the 1970s/80s.

There is always a boggy man for those who want to believe that they are suffering because of whatever the "minority" group of day is.

11. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

@hash_investor

it was a question, not a statement. and no reference to any specific criminal offence. however i understand that police have special task divisions in some culturally diverse areas to try and overcome issues in crime reporting.

Violent crime statistics drawn from police data do not show the large amount of violent crime and victimisation that is never disclosed to police. _Australian Institute of Criminology

Migrants from repressive regimes will not necessarily understand the role of the police force in an Australian context, and therefore be reluctant to report crimes to the police. _Australian Law and Justice Foundation

hash_investor likes this.
  12. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

To answer your question I say yes, 100% I would buy an IP in LAkemba. As I mentioned, I have one in Wiley Park but it is on the border of LAkemba. Walking distance to both stations. It has all the fundamentals and it performs very well. Tenants are great. I wouldnt buy a PPOR there because I have absolutely no connection to the area, no friends or family or work, but I could also think of worse places to live. Further out, small minds and zero culture would be at the top of my list for turn offs.

13. dabbler

All groups go through this at some level, including anglo Australians.

I quite often get this when I tackle people about an issue, they will throw in my face that I am tackling them due to their race, which is a load of rot. If you steal from me, for example, I do not care what race etc etc anyone is, I will persue it regardless of anything else.

I just do not see why it needs to be brought up I guess, it sort of irritates me when this is done as I see it as a diversion.

I know that people of any kind can cause trouble

14. sanj

youre right I don't see the need for it to be brought up either but if you look back at previous posts you're the one who brought it up, first subtly and then more explicitly in another post.

I don't see anyone going to Bogan belt of Australia and seeing the issues and blaming aussie culture in general, the same reasoned approach is what I'm advocating here with lakemba.

Ozzie in Texas and hash_investor like this.
  15. dabbler

Sanj, you should be a politician, I did explain the gist of my reason to write, you still have not said if you have lived there, I suspect no. Anyway, never to mind.

I do not like criminals and thugs or those with blatant disregard for all others, whatever/whoever they are.

I sort of regret posting and spending so much time on this, people can ignore my writing and buy in there as IP or to live, maybe some will see it as what it is meant to be, a warning to have a good look before leaping, I will take the blame for some of the noise :)

16. dabbler

There is hot spots and parts that will be more mundane, some spots are very normal, others, well, far from it.

Here is an example.

People do not like the SW of Sydney,, or even say things in general about Western Sydney (like out Blacktown, Penrith way), now this relates too 2 separate pockets, one on the outer SW one in closer to the city.

in close to 4 years, 5 vehicles on the street in outer SW Sydney, not 1 break in touch wood to any vehicle, no known attempted thefts of vehicle of ours or any known neighbor, no fuel stolen or known attempts of ours or any neighbor.

Nothing else stolen that I know of in direct area, no verbal death threats, no arguments, no domestics in the streets, no unwanted furniture/bedding etc just thrown on street. etc etc. Basically problem free. Although under no illusion that direct area is perfect, I am sure I am unaware of some issues.

In the Canterbury/Bankstown area, main car broken into regularly, roughly every quarter, largely nothing taken as car was empty most times, but was damaged each time, second was easy to get into. These 2 vehicles had petrol stolen often, the second one would be very regular, to the point that you had to leave it empty. These were different groups doing this, police have no time to chase minor things like this generally, however one of the break ins a suspect was locked up.

Drug deals in streets all the time, police raids in local street often, taps stolen multiple times, youth trying to get into house , neighbor had someone enter during night while they slept (un reported), garage locks broken multiple times, verbal death threats, verbal abuse for no known reason, neighbors and visitors of neighbors would park each other in, often verbal screaming matches, multiple shootings and murders as well, and on and on it goes.

Now people can decide, if the above, which was a short period, is normal or acceptable, to me it is not, I left not due to being scared, I left as I was sick of dealing with all this an the time it soaked up, and others living there had some of the same issues, now I am being very general, and of course I could have tried to find a better or less troubled pocket but I can also say I have lived in many Southern parts of Sydney, I worked in many parts of Sydney, and nothing comes even remotely close to this or the amount of problems that were ongoing.

This account is missing quite a few more serious and petty issues.

The problem with serious crimes that can take your life, is you only need one experience for it to totally mess things up, whether it is you or a family member, so you cannot ignore if your likely to be increasing your chances of this.

Here is a couple of stories from in/around the area, you can find hundreds of known serious crimes, and you can bet there are many more unknown, unsolved etc, then you have all the non life threatening incidents. Maybe drop into the local station to find hot spots.

Manager kneecapped after complaining about apartment defects - National

Pensioner shot body corporate manager to 'oust him and take over'

Racist rapes: Finally the truth comes out - smh.com.au

Bankstown shooting victim had deep ties to underworld crime

Man may have been stabbed to death because conversation was 'too loud', police say

ashish1137 likes this.
  17. sanj

ill maybe try using bolds and italics, hopefully it helps but ultimately you can lead a ranter to water but you cant make it coherent (or something)

looks like my concerns below were legitimate after all.

Ozzie in Texas likes this.
  18. dabbler

Well sorry bout that, I missed it, seems my suspicions were fact, and why I did not bother reading a lot of the posts and missed this bit.

Lakemba is a lovely place for you to live, you could run as the local member.... :p Bring a bullet proof vest before arguing the point though with locals, even timid looking seniors can take a pot shot at you as that PM found out.

19. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Sorry, that's not even remotely close.
    I've spent the majority of my life on the Bankstown line....Campsie and Canterbury don't even come close to Lakemba.

WattleIdo likes this.
  20. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Hate to tell you this dabbler...but this cuntry ain't lily white no mo......so why is it that you are calling these people minority groups..aren't they Australians also..or does skin color define Australian? I thought this dies in the 70s....and the lady who ran on ticket of anti-immigration became a laughing stock....

As I said it is more about ignorance than race or religion...and guess what there is nothing which can be done to take this country back 50 years. ...to yesteryear....unless you have a time machine.

Multiculturalism is here to stay...it is happening across most countries and they countries which don't adapt will not prosper.

Well if I am the minority...then there are an awful lot of us...'ang on guv does it not make us the majority now? Last time I looked a lot of faces were yellow, brown or olive....perhaps it might you have might be in minority...not because of color but because of your views.

Something to think about....I am surprised you are saying this because I think you live the Southwest...would you not see a lot more people of Muslim backgrounds where you are? How are they different to the ones in Lakemba??

As they say in the wild wild West..."I Luv youse all !!!".......:p

So back on thread...Lakembe is just another borng suburb..it was anglo-saxon before...then it became Middle Eastern...now it is more Bengali/Pakistani/Indonesian/Malay....

Same thing happened to other suburbs...nutin new.......I like living where I am ..it has a nice mix of people....no one group dominates..and everyone seems to get on....I see the same in Lakemba the times I have been there.

Dean Collins likes this.