NSW What's wrong with Lakemba?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Shawn, 1st Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy in Punchbowl and Lakemba.... so many other suburbs to buy in.
    Personal preference and experience.

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Fair call. Just like I can't see myself investing in Elizabeth nor a mining town.
    Just not my cup of tea.

Agent99 likes this.
  3. bobbyj

bobbyj Well-Known Member

All I can say is that I've noticed the high rate of crime.

News reports of shop owners being held at gun point in day light hours on Haldon St.

I often frequent Jasmins (lebanese food) which is amazing.
    About 6-7 years ago I saw (afghani/asian) guys having an argument across the street. A moment later 2 machetes appeared out of no where and the guy with the weapons was chasing another whilst slashing in his direction. Crazy. The police never turned up either. It just fizzled off on it's own.

Wukong likes this.
  4. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

I own an investment in Wiley Park, just on the border of Lakemba and it has performed well and the tenants are great. The place is actually fine, the biggest problem I have found is Canterbury council- and that is all about to change with the amalgamation hopefully. The people in Lakemba and Wiley Park have actually created a very vibrant community that looks intimidating as an outsider due to what we constantly read about in the newspapers with Islamic extremism. Lakemba seems to be a very good area for investment IMO, but PPOR will be down to you and your requirements. There is a lot planned for this area and is a strong growth corridor with lots of development ahead Sydenham to Bankstown Urban Renewal Corridor - City of Canterbury-Bankstown

5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Well, those that want to live there with the "bros" or for whatever reason are free to do so.

Those with investments is a different can of fish (or worms)

Go live there for 24 months before you decide if an area is ok, this type of area would make those a bit scared of say Logan central petrified, I do not think most understand, the Bankstown LAC is the *busiest* in NSW.

6. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Agree. The whole point of discussion was all this does not make it a bad place for investment.

7. dabbler

All depends on what type of investment you want I guess.

I would not rule anything out that has the return, potential CG or PPOR, but even with IP's selection plays a part, i.e 500m to station, low strata, in demand type of unit, good buy in price and acceptable return.....go for it.

8. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

sorry your opinion does not tie up with official police statistics.

Logan Lakemba/canterbury LAC
    Assault 414 575
    sexual assault 126 74
    unlawful entry 1175 480
    vehicle theft/break in 955 311

9. dabbler

Sorry, have you lived in Bankstown local area command or Logan ???

The problem with most of you is your all data jockeys, as if it shows the whole story.

You can call a toilet by many and varied names, but they all take the same deposits, which these areas are full of, like it or lump it, that is the truth, as long as you know what the deal is, then all good, but don't paint dark brown as pink, thanks very much !

Go live there if you think it is great....."Bro"...... it is a ***** hole.

10. sanj

you can call me a data jockey if you like, doesnt change the fact that crime rate is overall comparable and in fact slightly higher in logan than it is lakemba. im not saying lakemba is a palace or doesnt have issues, just that it appears youre exaggerating a fair bit.

are you denying that using official crime statistics from the police is not a valid way of comparing the safety an crime rate in 2 different areas? what else would be more appropirate? random internet opinions?

you appear to be getting pretty angry over a simple discussion, maybe make some chamomile tea.

11. dabbler

The point was, not that your just a data jockey (possibly, or maybe not?) was, have you lived there ? That is what I asked, have you lived in the Bankstown local area command or in Logan ? Do you *know* what your actually talking about or is it all what you *think* it is like.

I am not talking about I have spoke to a few people who say this or that, even if they happen to be awake, which many from broken countries are not.

Does your data give you a feel for how any of the rapes, robberies or other crimes took place ?

See, if you were in the Eastern suburbs, but subject to what happens in Bankstown, the station would need an army to manage the phones, where in Bankstown, most do not even report anything.

Angry, yes, these people are stuffing up our country, places where rape, or murder are normal or not investigated, where drugs and crime are too hard to handle, this is what we create when allowing or normalising certain groups to do as they like, whether they are crime related, race related or religion related.

Dave3214 likes this.
  12. sanj

jesus. i think your comprehension skills are struggling in this red mist. ill try once again.

1) I AM NOT SAYING LAKEMBA IS GREAT.

2) I AM MERELY COMPARING IT TO A SUBURB YOU YOURSELF COMPARED TO AND CLAIMED LAKEMBA IS A LOT WORSE. IM SAYING THAT LAKEMBA IS NOT WORSE THAN THAT. AGAIN, IM NOT SAYING IT'S GOOD. IM SAYING IT IS NOT AS BAD AS YOURE MAKING IT OUT TO BE.

and no, i have not lived in either suburb. again, when comparing verifiable, official crime statistics to compare the dangers and bad elements of 2 areas, not having lived there is not a dealbreaker.

you have said that rape and murder is normal and not investigated in lakemba, that is a complete lie on your part and you know it. the rate of sexual assault in logan is nearly 50% more than lakemba.

you're right to be angry about the behaviour of "these people", by that im going to take it to mean criminals because a crime in logan is just as bad as a crime in lakemba and a lebanese criminal in lakemba is just as unwanted in this country as a white criminal in logan.

you appear to be letting some of your bias cloud basic interpretation of clear facts here.

13. dabbler

Baby Jeebus, my comprehension is real bad, let's see.

Lakemba = toilet

Lakemba = ok for IP maybe, if you have eyes wide open.

Me = lived in such toilets and IP in such areas = talking from experience.

= you need to talk about experience when you speak, not what you think something may be or stats may say you think may be.... you see ?

So, unless you know otherwise, or can say why it is great, then no need to speak. I do not care, tell us why it is so great, lay it out, as said, not against IP if you know what the deal is.

Did I say **** hole before ?

Far out, some of you make me wonder.

14. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Depending on where the OP is living now moving to Lakemba may be a huge cultural shock.

I had to work around Auburn, Lakemba and punchbowl for a year due to client relocation and IMO I wouldn't live there if you paid me.

I saw some serious things go on out there (Auburn topped the list frequently) when I brought my fiancé out there she was blown away and felt she was in a different country. It was too unsafe for her to walk to my office in the evening.

Sure there may be opportunities in terms of IP however for your PPOR if it's a long termer I would personally be considering somewhere else maybe further out.

hash_investor and Mumbai like this.
  15. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Had another raid on the street while I was at my in laws having dinner.
    No where else in Sydney is a raid is considered "normal"

Data is just data.... living there is another story.

Last edited: 25th May, 2016
  16. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Ditto........but better to use "Insiah Allah" ....when talking about Lakembe.:p

This subtle demonising of Moslems is annoying at best....by in large most people in Lakemba are law abiding...sure there are some elements who are not good.

Bear also mind ....that some Lebanese have done very well in Australia.

What we need is Australian society to be more inclusive...some of the comments here are exactly NOT that.

I have walked around both areas...and due to my background would able to negotiate both areas. The issue is human can sniff fear and discomfort...so if you are walking around like you don't behind...it is very possible something untoward can happen.

To use a term ...you can spot a Chump from a mile away.

Inov8ive likes this.
  17. sanj

again, I did not in any way deny lakemba has issues or discuss it's safety etc in isolation as without a reference point it's a pointless discussion. it was done in comparison to logan and when comparing 2 areas with similar issues it's pretty easy to look at A vs B.

18. sanj

care to back up your statement that rape and murder is normal here and not investigated?

19. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

i assume these figures are based on reported events.
    due to the diverse cultural backgrounds in these areas, i wonder how many events are not reported.
    could this skew the statisitics ?

20. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

We lived and owned our family business in a neighboring suburb. The locals knew that our local thugs didn't **** in their own backyard. The neighborhood was as safe as any other....and the raids just provided us with the latest thing to gossip about.