whats up with sydney

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by JDP1, 28th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Well-Known Member

Please elaborate !

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yep, born and bred here and family of many generations here, I always love coming home and I appreciate our great city more after venturing OS, what an insult to compare to LA, Sydney is no LA !

Was on the harbour for NYE, cannot get sick of our city, there is so much to explore, so much going on, actually, a family from the US asked us if we worked for the government in tourism, they were impressed by our enthusiasm and knowledge, but hey, I do feel a patriotic duty to be friendly and welcoming to tourists, and we do give other great places a positive spiel too.

3. dabbler

What's to elaborate on ?

Ok, someone approached us all in the street to ask something, can't recall what, guest told them to clear off and probably 1 or 2 seconds later - due to not responding quick enough, some profanity and clear threat was made.... the offender was probably the wrong ethnicity and was clearly not welcome to be anywhere near us. I did not ask, maybe this is how they rob people, they were extremely polite, I remember that the clearest.

Anyway, if your not an anglo aussie, and you approach someone in Sydney, they are not likely to threaten you, actually, I think were known to be fairly friendly.

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="The Falcon, post: 128630, member: 63] Harbour side suburbs and beaches can't be beaten...[/QUOTE]
    Newcastle beats it hands down ... affordable harbourside suburbs and beaches only minutes away where you can get a park and don't have to booked your square metre of sand ;)

Last edited: 5th Jan, 2016
  5. tilt10

tilt10 Well-Known Member

I have lived in Killara, Manly,Ryde, Double Bay, Paddington,Bellevue Hill, Bondi and Narrabeen before moving north.
    Brisbane and Melbourne run rings around Sydney as far as livability goes. They have a heart.
    I prefer medium sized younger cities with a mix of ages.. Sydney although beautiful, is a very segmented city with an ageing population.

Would pick Verona over Venice anyday.

6. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Newcastle beats it hands down ... affordable harbourside suburbs and beaches only minutes away where you can get a park and don't have to booked your square metre of sand ;)[/QUOTE]

Yep affordable for a reason ;)

7. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Its easier and quicker for most to get to work in the cbd and the cbd entertainment options in Brisbane and Melbourne compared to sydney.
    Some will call that superior liveability, and id generally agree.
    However that assumes that you want to be in the cbd for those things...if not...? Ie your job is somewhere else, the activities you like to do are non cdb etc...
    Yet for others, options are what its all about - especially options regarding jobs . No where in the coujtry can be superior than sydney for that.

8. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Hard to consider where an icon of entertainment could occur anywhere else but Sydney though.

Case in point:-

9. dabbler

Newcastle beats it hands down ... affordable harbourside suburbs and beaches only minutes away where you can get a park and don't have to booked your square metre of sand ;)[/QUOTE]

Bet your loving the timing now ..... def plenty of water, no need for beach !

Lizzie likes this.
  10. bez23

bez23 Well-Known Member

Dodgy cab drivers probably earn more than the average Joe. The last 2 cab drivers told me that they earn 120-150k a year (undeclared of course). Work hard for the money but going under the radar from ATO.

Last cab driver told me that he has 3 houses paid of in Sydney and just bought 1 2 bedder apartment for daughter for $950k. Go figure.