What's the most dangerous situation you've been in?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by willister, 21st Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Have come across red belly black snakes while out mountain biking many times. Being the first or second bike is fine - the snakes often do not "hear" (sense vibration) you coming, so are ignorant of the first bike, and dont react to the second, but they often rear up at the third, and maybe lunge at the fouth. If that one happens to flick it up from the tyre, you REALLY don't want to be fifth!

I have had numerous near misses, close calls, and potentially dangerous situations in various activities, but nothing quite like the massive islander dude who took offense to my existence when I was outside a pub on Beaumont St (newcastle) a couple of years ago. He came at me all aggressive, and me being the clam and peaceful guy that I am, didnt really know what was going on - I think I just stood there looking at him quizzically. Then he wound back his tree trunk arm and slapped me upside the head. I bounced off the building wall (glad I already had my bike helmet on) and still didnt know what was going on! (possibly knew even less at that point!) My mate drew his attention, and the big dude shirt fronted him - my mate went flying over the bonnet of a car onto the road, and at that point was able to get his phone out to call the cops. Long story short, the cops recognized him from our description and advised that in previous conflicts, the victims usually woke up in the hospital some days later.

2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

actually the browns don't annoy me either , the matron is my unofficial security guard on the acreage property she has been there for years ( at least five )

but yesterday's black was the largest ( black ) i remember seeing it was well over 6 feet and the rear part still under the scrub

usually it is the pythons ( and bigger carpets that don't seem to like me .. and those wretched rough-scales )

boganfromlogan and Lizzie like this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Friend's hubby tossed one up while on the tractor ... it grazed his leg and he didn't really notice ... passed out in the kitchen that night and ended up in hospital.

The cat tended to keep them under control around the house itself - although she did bring a bat in one night, which I had to remove from it's perch on the flyscreen with the leather work gloves

Probably the physically worst is when I leant up against a round bale, not realising it housed a green ants nest ... that was some quick costume shedding in the middle of the paddock!

wylie, inertia, Stoffo and 1 other person like this.
  4. charttv

charttv Well-Known Member

was on a flight that had a bit of the front section of wing come off about an hour into the flight. It wasn't serious so we pressed on, this mishap was quickly followed by a near miss with a Saudia Airlines flight over the Philippines (less than 100 metres separation) due to a sudden air traffic control shut down where all flights had to be diverted around Philippines air space during a violent tropical storm. Was quite a hairy ride.

Almost crushed to death in a stampede in Mumbai several days into a round the world trip.

Stoffo, Codie and twisted strategies like this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

A pair of twisted strategies in a face off.

My sister who lives on a farm has had some large ones in the house. Warm areas around and above fireplaces or behind the fridge are the most attractive to them.

twisted strategies likes this.
  6. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

We find snakes quite often. We have the snake man's number on the fridge. They are impressive ppl. Last one was a junior red belly black in the kitchen. 'Just keep an eye on it' they said!!

Love the way they relocate rather than kill.

My partner is a deft hand with straw broom and long handled shovel. Decapitates the brown snakes.

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I gather stock pot lids are great for juveniles in the kitchen

Stoffo likes this.
  8. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

That sounds like an excellent idea.

Just need someone prepared to get close enuf ........ someone should invent an implement.

Bit like a stock pot lid on the end of a pole.

Lizzie likes this.
  9. chi.lam

chi.lam Well-Known Member

We don't know, we weren't related to them. We were just a bunch of desperate strangers stuffed into a fishing boat, hoping for a better life in a western country. My mum lost 3 siblings (lost at sea) on another refugee escape a few years earlier AND she still decided to take us on this journey. The prospect of a decent future for her kids in communist Vietnam must have been spectacularly low to risk everything, even after losing 3 siblings.

Bunbury, George Smiley, K1200 and 6 others like this.
  10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

As a teenager I was on a hunting trip out west.

Had a .22 brno semi auto. Lovely gun.

Anyway, it was on dusk and I left the campsite alone to collect fire wood in the bush. I was about a hundred metres or so from camp when all of a sudden 2 or 3 pit bulls appeared out of nowhere (can't remember exact number).

The dogs approached me and I stood as tall and still as I could. Next thing the dogs are circling me and one by one they are jumping at me and snapping their mouth.

I continued to stand still and after a minute or so the dogs ran off. I went back to the camp site and changed my underwear. lol.

Lucky for the dogs I didn't have my .22 with me. Sure, they might have bitten me as I give them continuous blasts from my rifle.

It turned out the dogs belonged to a group of hunters not too far away.

willair likes this.
  11. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Not exactly dangerous but one late night out in Sydney CBD there was a bloke being aggressive towards me outside an old pub that had closed. I started giving him some lip which only made him angrier and his girlfriend and mate held him back from going me so in frustration he turned around and punched right through the glass window of the pub and walked away immediately. I didn't see any blood but he probably broke numerous bones in his hand and at least earned himself a trip to hospital. The fights you win are those you walk away from.

Stoffo, Codie, willair and 4 others like this.
  12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Early morning Ansett Syd - Melb. I was probably one of three people on flight. Super empty and was being repositioned and why it wasnt cancelled. Took off but the pilot held nose up when it should have taken off. Seemed wrong. Then the alarms went off and crew jumped up and cracked opened many of the doors to deploy slides to a deployed position...ready to go. They stood with panicked vacant looks on their faces ... waiting. Nose descended slowly and it slowed and stopped. Pilot apologised. Back to the terminal...engine had sucked in some birds. Pilot explained if the birds had struck 1 second later we would have been forced to take off and fly back. Next flight was packed. When Sully landed on the Hudson it had me thinking.

I was doing first solo at the old Hoxton Park and some idiot didnt radio or fly approach on the circuit and descended onto me missing aircraft on final approach by 50-70mt maybe. I had to descend fast and then decided to go around to avoid a high speed descent. He landed. My instructor called it in to Bankstown. He was arrested and aviation safety dudes rocked up to interview all concerned. He hadnt even approached the airfield correctly and just dropped in. He also didnt have a transponder / squark on OR his radio on. He didnt think radio's were important. Probably lost his license. I passed.

willair, Stoffo and boganfromlogan like this.
  13. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

I was in Bali with my daughter. It was our last afternoon and my other daughter texted to say she was pregnant. My daughter said lets go to Matahari and buy baby things. I said no because I didn't like the only restaurant there and we didn't have time to go anywhere else before going to the airport.
    THAT was the restaurant that was bombed a few hours later.

Hubby and I were in Seattle. We went to Pike place in the morning. That afternoon there was a police shootout there.

I was in New York on a cruise. I went to Times Square to take photos. I got back to the ship and everyone was in a panic. A car tore through the streets and killed many pedestrians shortly after I left.

willair and Stoffo like this.