What's the best service you've ever experienced?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Ace in the Hole, 12th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

This thread is inspired by one of Nathan's recent experiences of "poor service" in a retail or service situation.

Anyway, it would be nice to hear of some situations of exceptional service you have received when you've least expected it.
    So this cuts out first class services, fine dining, luxury products stores and generally anything where you expect high service because you're paying for it.
    I'm talking about every day situations where the salesperson/assistant goes the extra mile plus more to satisfy you when they don't really have to.

I'll go first.
    S.M.A.R.T - Capital S.M.A.R.T Repairs in Peakhurst.
    I was getting a small job done under insurance and they were the selected repairer.
    The prior communication and organisation was great when booking the appointment to bring the car in.
    When I got there, I was greeted in an extremely friendly way and the situation was explained very clearly to me of the process and how long it would take, and it was a fast turnaround time.
    Then I waited in the nice, clean modern lounge area and the lady booked a taxi for me and offered me a coffee or hot chocolate while I waited.
    She was well trained in her procedures and I was very impressed with her efforts in making me feel important.
    Her phone manner to other enquiries I witnessed while waiting was extremely good too.
    This may not seem like anything special to anybody else, but I was pleasantly surprised considering the nature of the industry and remember it to this day a couple of years later.
    I'm gonna contact the director there to ask of their staff training methods and company values because I just love the customer service experience they offer, when least expected.

Anybody else have a good story?

Nemo likes this.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

My old pm who has since retired was fantastic. She once got a call from my tenants late at night on a weekend ... They went away and thought they'd left the stove on, so she went to check about 10pm on a sat night. No charge to me.

Perthguy likes this.
  3. THX

THX Well-Known Member

Fossil in Santa Monica. Was in there browsing wearing my fossil watch, was complimented (of course, I'm wearing their brand) on it by a staff member, I said a part of it was broken but oh well, continued to browse. 5 mins later he comes over, gives me a brand new watch (same model), says merry christmas and takes the old one from me.

Granted its a cheapo watch and he'd just get it repaired to resell but just the experience of it was wonderful.

Chrispy likes this.
  4. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Awesome!
    Bet you'll be a Fossil watch wearer for life.

5. House

House Well-Known Member

Apple have impressed me every time I've used them for buying or repairing. Was in earlier due to dog chewing through the Mac Pro charge cable and they were going to offer a new one for $90 (instead of $130) but when I mentioned I had only got the Mac 2 weeks ago, it was replaced it for free without question.

Also have found Dodo to be pretty good and helpful despite some pretty poor reviews online.

KayTea likes this.
  6. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

There was this massage place in Patong in Thailand earlier this year...

7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hyock hyock.
    If only they did happy beginnings.

8. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I can vouch for them as well in brisbane. Heads and shoulders above its competitors.

9. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Did they break you like they did to old mate Darlo?

10. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Monday this week - uberx ride.

Driver was a really friendly guy. Asked me if i wanted any water, mint or gum.

Then asked if the aircon was ok when i was coughing, checked if i needed extra legroom too and if i had a radio station preference.

Then asked if i needed to charge my phone which i did.

The idiot that i am left my phone in his car when he dropped me off, realised 10 mins later.

Called my phone, he picks up and says hes already reported it to uber, asks if im at the same place. Gets there immediately from a few suburbs away, drops it off and refuses a tip.

Total ride cost around $9, downtime of 20 mins from leaving phone in car to getting it back.

Good luck taxi industry youre stuffed. I was also at no time even remotely worried i wouldnt get it back either, doubt that would be the case in a cab

KayTea and neK like this.
  11. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Dunno...I lost my wallet a while back on the bus..full of cash.. And it was promptly handed in to the depot the next day- with all the cash; I thought i was stuffed for sure.

12. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Thats my point, u thought you were stuffed. In my case i wasnt the slightest bit worried. Shows the different expectations

13. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

did you mean to say, a part of you was broken and they replaced it for free, without you asking??

14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I would be getting paranoid about my breath.

sanj, Bayview and Mumbai like this.
  15. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

On a serious note, I have a fitbit charge and a button on the band broke. It was all my fault. I looked around to find a new band for it in vain. I emailed their US operations asking where can I buy a new band from.
    They replied asking proof of purchase and photo of damage. As soon as I replied with those details, they sent me a new one. Did not even ask to send the old one back, which BTW is working fine except its missing a button that does not affect its functionality!

16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's how it should be!
    Too many times you have to jump through hoops and still can't get something sorted out.

17. neK

neK Well-Known Member

So how was the actual repair work itself?

18. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Best service was in the local Bunnings and was given two sausages in the sandwich and extra onions for the same price.

Azazel likes this.
  19. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

^ Thread winner? :)

Two moments come to mind for me.

First was when I was buying my first property, my lawyer was barely handling the conveyancing properly and I was super stressed out. In panic I stumbled over to the conveyancing shop and told the first human I saw "help me". The boss came down to fetch me, cleared his desk, calmed me down and said he would do the conveyancing for me for free, as well as paying for all of the lawyer's work to date. The relief was immense!

Second was when I was car shopping and I'd visited about 5 dealers before heading over to Lexus (who I wasn't seriously considering). They greeted me at the door and rather than try to push a sale immediately, invited me over to a comfy chair for a coffee and a casual chat. They made the dealership feel like a 'home' where I could sit quietly and collect my thoughts (because car shopping is so stressful obviously)

20. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Ah yes. Car shopping.

As one gets older, one gets more invisible. Frequently we get ignored as if we were invisible- in favour of the younger, better looking, or even the more aggressive, customer.

Although we have become somewhat used to this, it really surprised us when we were shopping for a new car several years ago. We stood on that car room floor for ten minutes. We were initially the only customers but nobody approached us. A younger couple walked in and they were approached immediately. After five more minutes of waiting we left to buy a different car in a different dealership.

Three years later, when buying another car, we went back to the second dealership who had treated us well.

(As it turned out, the more recent salesman was an ex employee who we had fired- he till treated us well. We double checked the tyres and brakes though)

Chrispy and neK like this.