What's on your plate?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by spludgey, 6th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

We all have different things that we’re juggling in life. What are your things and how do you feel you’re going with them?

Personally, I feel that my plate is a little bit full and has been for some time, but I feel that there really isn’t much that I can do about it without making decisions that would likely make things worse overall, not better.

The things that I’m juggling currently are:

Work: Frustrating as I feel I’m banging my head against the wall a lot of the time. Not really getting along well with my boss. The good thing is that my work place is fairly flexible, which helps with my other commitments.

Home life: Got a crazy two year old at home and a stressed wife that’s looking for a permanent job.

Investments: 10 IPs (13 different leases) in LSE areas, so there’s always something happening now.

Other things: One family member isn’t doing well mentally, so I’m trying to be a support when I can. One of the cats isn’t doing too well (it’s the nice one too, the one my son adores). Lots of projects that I want to do (such as building a shed) that I don’t have time to do. Money in savings account is just holding steady with my wife only working two days a week (net worth is going in the right direction though). Just got rejected from a job I applied for.

So, with all these things, I often feel my head’s not fully in the game with any of them all of the time. I wouldn’t say I’m unhappy, but I do become stressed by little things now that I wouldn’t have really worried about previously. The thing is that I don’t want to (or for some can’t) let go any of these things, if I want to achieve my dreams (which I really do!).

To summarise, definitely feel like I’ve got too much on my plate, but will just keep chewing. How are you going?

gman65 likes this.
  2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

From the heading I thought you wanted to know what I was having for breakfast!

But, to be serious, it sounds like you are in what I call the “busy” stage of life, usually in the 30-50 age bracket when you are juggling career, establishing a family (amazing the changes a child bring to your lives), investing for the future, family life etc.

Sometimes just making it through the day can seem a minor miracle.

My sanity saver was making lists. Once it was written down I was able to let go of it mentally until I allowed time deal with that problem/project/activity.

Last edited: 6th Nov, 2019
    Redwing and The Y-man like this.
  3. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Please do share! ;)
    Unfortunately I won't be able to contribute much to that conversation though, as I intermittently fast and don’t have any food between 9pm and 4pm on work days. So no breakfast or lunch.

Marg4000 likes this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Sorry, edited post when I realised I was being flippant to a serious question.

5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

In this modern world you are not alone @spludgey
    In fact a great many of us often feel this way :oops:

I have also been struggling a lot lately, with work, home, family, financially and mentally :(
    Each time things are getting too much I remind myself that things could be much worse, that I am still here and each day provides me with another oppertunity to improve :cool:

Take a step back, draw a deep breath, watch the world rush crazily by for a few minutes, then jump back in swinging :D

hammer, Sackie and Marg4000 like this.
  6. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are many people who would like the problems that owning 10 x IPs' brings. At least these are good problems to have in comparison to others.

I'm reminded of this:
    upload_2019-11-6_8-47-39.png

7. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Retirement (with 9+ years experience, I am becoming rather good at it)

Travel (currently in Melbourne)

Self-funded pension (more than enough to live comfortably on)

Share portfolio/SMSF (going up by the day)

Properry Portfolio (now cashflow neutral, thanks to interest rate cuts)

Cash reserves (going up by the day, thanks to the above)

Health (pretty good, could always drop a few kilos and be a little fitter but not worth stressing out about it - too much of the good life)

So, overall life is BLOODY good, especially when one compares what was on our plate for the previous three years.

Morale of this post: when one is “forced” to enter the Valley of Despair (been there multiple times since November 2016), get oneself to the bottom as quickly as possible as the only way from there is up. There is also an up (although sometimes it is hard to find).

Gockie, wylie, Stoffo and 2 others like this.
  8. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

kierank likes this.
  9. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Nothing I can't handle on my plate.
    Case closed.
    Work - busy
    Home life - Crusing
    Investment - Hectic, but quality over quantity. Measure twice,and action once.

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

My biggest challenge these days is finding new fun parks for my little monster to play in.

Also need to find more good coffee shops.

When times got hard in the past, I would always remind myself that I need to operate from a place of gratefulness. The more grateful I felt for everything I had, the easier it was to overcome some serious challenges.

I love the famous Rocky quote. Up to about 30 seconds is related to life in general.

Chris Au, Propertunity and Hayden94 like this.
  11. Hayden94

Hayden94 Well-Known Member

24 with no kids. Few investment properties. Have lived in regional SA saving up deposits for the last few years.

Fiancée has just accepted a new job in Brisbane so we are moving there in February. Our dream has always been to end up in the Sunshine Coast so we are getting closer. Will be good to renovate our Brisbane properties next year.

I’ve been having bouts of anxiety but relatively present and happy. Next year will have our wedding and hopefully our first child so that’s exciting. But my main stress is what I do for work/business, it’s been eating me up a lot lately. With the vast amount of options, I think many of us in our 20’s struggle with this.

But all in all I feel very happy and in control, I’m healthy and I have great relationships in my life. A lot to be grateful for when I put things in perspective.

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You must be hanging out with the super focused and ambitions crowd. I don't think many kids in their 20s are as focused and mature in thinking as you mate.

13. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Looked up the LSE area
    It looks posh and expensive
    LSE - Google Search
    :)

14. Hayden94

I try to make a conscious effort to surround myself around the right people, probably been the best (and cheapest) thing I’ve done to start myself in the right direction. In saying that, majority have been online, but to me it’s still been huge.

So much information to filter through, and depending on how it’s interpreted, I feel it could put me years ahead or years behind. Such an exciting game.

Sackie likes this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Btw got the USB, copying and sending soon. Love it how keen you are mate.

Hayden94 likes this.
  16. Hayden94

Can’t wait. Thanks so much.

17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

It's ok if you are in a profit position to take it, offload some of the workload, have some $ in the offset until things quieten down.

The Y-man

icic likes this.
  18. icic

icic Well-Known Member

@spludgey thanks for sharing. Got 2 kids in childcare that cost an arm and a leg(inner city) there's always properties that are needed be repaired or issues with tanents. home is always a mess at the end of the day no matter how clean it starts the day with. But at times when I get a little stressed I always remind myself that I am actually quite lucky, I got my health, my beautiful family and in great financial position compared to many others of similar stage. I am trying not to sweat things are behind my control and I think it's working.
    If tomorrow I got let go of my job, I think I will just take it as an opportunity to move to something different and perhaps better... If work is eating you, try not to take it too personal, if you can't then perhaps it's time to move on.

Last edited: 16th Nov, 2019
  19. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Have a hobby or 2....
    My hobbies are unicycling, learning aerial tissue, volleyball, helping with set building at my local theatre and canyoning which also usually involves camping.

You don't have to do what I do, but you can do other things like bike riding to go places. The saying goes, "Life is better on a bike".

Last edited: 17th Nov, 2019
    kierank likes this.
  20. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

The 2 sayings I like are : Life is better in boardshorts.
    : Life is a beach!