ASX Shares What's looking cheap on the ASX?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by radson, 11th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdchi1

cdchi1 Well-Known Member

A lot of doomsday scenarios being spouted around the internet.

I'm a very simplistic person, and all I really look at in terms of whether market is overbought or oversold is the major indices average PE and how that compares historically.

IMO based on this, the US market (running at around 19 average PE currently) is a little overstretched. Maybe could drop back a two to three points. The historical mean is around 15.5.

Historical S&P 500 PE chart with current PE as well:

S&P 500 PE Ratio

From Australia perspective, All Ords PE as at 8 Jan was around 16. Probably closer to 15 now which is roughly where the historical mean is, so not overstretched assuming profits maintained. However given resource profits are likely to take a major hit, ie the REAL PE on actual current profits is probably higher than current PE, perhaps a little downside is warranted.

SerenityNow and mrdobalina like this.
  2. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

Alexium is looking oversold.

AJX:ASX

3. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

From your same reference, the Shiller PE10 @ 23.82 is still sitting 49% higher than its historical mean of 16.04, indicating there is still a fair way to go down before getting into value territory. And as healthy as the Australian PE may currently be, if the US market did go down another 30%, you can bet the Aussie market would unwillingly follow.

Last edited: 18th Jan, 2016
  4. skyfall

skyfall Well-Known Member

Hopefully my order for $9.98 gets filled soon but $12+ looks like the next target.

5. cdchi1

cdchi1 Well-Known Member

Why would I use the Shiller PE, which uses 10 years inflation adjusted figures, rather than just the usual PE? I find it pointless...as I said I'm a simplistic person. I cannot see the point of using inflation adjusted when the PE at every given point in time is based on prices at that time anyway...inflation is irrelvant for this.

If I was going to use something different, I would use the PEG ratio which uses 12 month forecasted earnings but I think that is more relevant for individual company research. I use it quite a bit...for example, right now the resource companies have pretty average PEs, but their PEGs on forecast earnings (you need to use your own forecast not those of the company) would be quite overvalued because their profits are going to drop. Not sure there is a chart for the index average PEG either, though have never looked.

Last edited: 17th Jan, 2016
  6. r3ckless

r3ckless Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Been topping up!

7. HomePage

Because whenever it has been this high before, the next decade has been shown to produce very poor returns and the two times it has been higher (1929 and 2000) there has been a major market correction within a few years.
    [​IMG]

As with other indicators, it is not perfect, but it is useful to consider given this particular track record.

mrdobalina likes this.
  8. cdchi1

cdchi1 Well-Known Member

Well I did say in my initial post that could drop 2-3 points...that would be considered poor returns since that's a overall market pullback of 10-15% or higher.

True but normal PE average ratio would have shown the 2K market to be overvalued as well. Admittedly it didn't pick the Depression correction but that was so quickly recouped, that imo the market really wasn't overvalued, so it was just an aberration, similarly to the GFC.

Bascially whenever SP500 PE gets to around 20 as it is now, , it is time to start exercising caution. If I was to use the Shiller PE instead I would say that mark is around 25 again roughly where we are now. No real point using both imo, so I choose to use the 'simpler' one.

9. HomePage

They are both simple to use as someone else does the calculations for us, so I don't see why you wouldn't look at both. The Shiller PE cuts out a lot of volatility noise and has been pretty useful in predicting long term downturns, so I look at it and others here may want to as well.

10. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Last edited: 18th Jan, 2016
  11. cdchi1

cdchi1 Well-Known Member

By simpler I mean in its calculation. I do not understand the point of using historical inflation adjusted earnings (especially with an index with ever changing constituents) therefore am not prepared to use something I don't understand much like i won't invest in a company i don't understand.

12. 158

158 Well-Known Member

So far I was right (insert #humblebrag here), plenty of overselling in the first 10min of trade this morning - now easing its way to more equilibrium in the first hour.

Just wish I had some cash to play......

pinkboy

cdchi1 likes this.
  13. cdchi1

cdchi1 Well-Known Member

I was tipping a pretty flat end to the market after initial panic sell. Still long way to go though so waiting to see how it pans out.

14. r3ckless

i've jumped back into healthcare at 3:55 today - ramsay.

15. 158

158 Well-Known Member

ANZ @ $24 is almost 11% gross yield. Solid.

pinkboy

16. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Very close to adding RHC and CCL to industrials portfolio :)

17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

CCL getting down toward GFC lows but has some longer term support around $8 so anything just above there would appear to be excellent buying. Certainly a great longer term addition for the Industrial dividend focused investor.

18. r3ckless

sold out of ramsay this morning around 1030. luckily i sold ;p

19. johnpendlebury

johnpendlebury Well-Known Member

Dangerous to buy a stock purely for the yield.

Chances are the dividend will get cut resulting in a greater capital loss

MTR likes this.
  20. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Fully understand the dangers of chasing yield, but for the accumulator, ANZ is not the worst of stocks to top up on.

pinkboy

Redwing, Nodrog and VB King like this.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.