What's in your vegie garden?

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by larrylarry, 20th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

It's probably a few more years before you get more fruits. I find they flower a lot, but pollination only succeeds on a small number. Our tree is 6+ years, and finally getting about 10 fruits this year (got about 3~4 last year) so you're doing well!

The Y-man

2. H&H

H&H Member

@devank do you have two kiwi vines male and female? The male dont fruit but you need a male to pollinate the female... at least one male for every two female i think it is hahaha

3. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I was told they were male and female. How can you tell?

4. H&H

H&H Member

5. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Ha... Awsome @H&H. Thank you.

6. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I have found. I have many flowers, but they drop off. Does this mean they're not being pollinated? I think the stone fruit fertiliser may have helped a little.

7. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

bees need to do their job!

BigKahuna likes this.
  8. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

That's interesting. My pomegranate is right next to two large lavender bushes which have bees on them all day every day. You'd think one or two would venture a metre over to the pomegranate. Maybe I have lazy bees. lol.

larrylarry likes this.
  9. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    We have one lemon tree, four orange trees, one mandarin tree and a veggie garden with lots of kale and spinach (my wife loves to vitamix green stuff)

Even though we take only minimal care of them, the citrus trees are usually quite prolific , so much so that we need to fill shopping bags full of the fruit and give it away to neighbours most years, but we have the odd year where one of them might not fruit.

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Got kookaburras, rainbow lorikeets, saw a Brush Turkey on the nature strip and on the street. Rabbits... well, not at my place! Haven't seen any bandicoots but I do see possums. Saw a kookaburra fly away from our banana trees with something huge in its mouth.. I thought it was mouse sized :eek:

Edit: the kookaburra might have taken another bird, because I saw a bird chasing after it (I reckon it might have taken the bird's friend?):

kookaburra

"Apart from that they are not selective feeders, eating a high protein live diet of small snakes, lizards, rats, mice, snails, worms, grasshoppers, crickets, cicadas, beetles, caterpillars, ants, yabbies & crayfish, spiders, frogs, the odd small bird, various insects and invertebrates. They watch in silence from a vantage point in a tree, and then swoop down to catch the prey. "

Last edited: 26th Feb, 2016
    EN710 and Chilliblue like this.
  11. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

1 lemon tree, 2 orange, 2 mandarin, 2 apple, 2 pear, dwarf mulberry (in a pot, but to be planted in the front to share with neighbours), 2 avocado, tomatoes, cucumbers, garlic during winter, 3 chickens, strawberries, blueberries, and a community herb garden in the front yard.

Plans for later this year...greenhouse with an aquaponics setup.

Tyler Durden, Colpio79 and larrylarry like this.
  12. Colpio79

Colpio79 Member

I have a friend with a home made aquaponics set up on her balcony. She lives near the CBD. Its a neat little set up with fish.

LibGS likes this.
  13. Lisa Parker

Lisa Parker Well-Known Member

Just received water bill post veggie garden installation. It is $200 more than usual! Our pump on the water tank broke. So watered with tap. Sure was an expensive handful of potatoes, onions, tomatoes and beetroot!

Husband threw whatever he wanted into the beds without pre-planning. I figured I was being anal and a typical Virgo perfectionist wanting to plan it out so I let it go and stayed out of it.
    Husband has decided that planning would have been beneficial since he has things over growing other more important things.

Dogs discovered they can dig for a carrot when they feel like a snack! We are hoping they don't work out we have sweet potato too. They love sweet potato!

All fun and games. But boy the veggies taste good! Looking forward to expanding (and planning!).

larrylarry likes this.
  14. RumpledElf

RumpledElf Well-Known Member

Current backyard has passion fruit, a lemon tree, pumpkins and zucchinis that got massive and didn't make any fruit, oodles of random strawberries, dill, parsley, oregano, thyme, tomatoes, rhubarb, a capsicum I didn't even plant, chives and spring onions. I rent and we have been here 6 months with no inspection yet and the yard was just half dead grass when we moved in and now it is a tropical garden peppered with edible plants, with nice brick edges and a decent lawn. I'm expecting the property manager to either be impressed or have a panic attack. The landlord lived next door until a few weeks ago so I like to think they've noticed but didn't care.

When my new block of land settles I'm going to plant ALL THE TREES on it as soon as I am able so they have a chance to establish during the inevitably long and drawn out building process. Land currently has peaches, blackberries and god knows what else under the blackberries.

legallyblonde and Gockie like this.
  15. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

What's in my veggie garden?

*looks over at cat*

Nutrients.

16. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

So I have just bought some seedlings (bok choy, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and snow pea)

Blueberries, pumpkin and zuchinni are next on the list. I am renting (basically for free), so I do not want to over capitalise! So blueberry will be in pots.. Any suggestions for plants that love pots?

larrylarry and WattleIdo like this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Couldn't grow a lettuce to save my life this year - but lots of tomatoes and basil going like nuts. I'm tending to move towards permanent plants in my raised vege garden beds - so have a bed of asparagus (picked and straight in the mouth) with an awesome red pepper plant on one side - a bed or strawberries - a bed of herbs (basil, parsley, sage, thyme, mint and chives) - a bed reserved for "seasonal" and still trying to grow some lettuce in it again - a huge bed of tomatoes that is slowly getting taken over by society garlic at the request of the local restaurants - a massive miniature pumpkin taking over one of the front gardens - lotsa fruit trees where I'm waiting patiently for my pomegranate to ripen after picking my quinche to early - lost all my olives due to the wind and rain - something ate my figs (grump) - and I think I killed one of my plums

Last edited: 13th Mar, 2016
    larrylarry likes this.