Health & Family What's going on!

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TAJ, 17th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Had dinner last night with friends at a local Thai restaurant. While having our entree a family pulled up in a Land Rover Discovery. Mum ,Dad and 2 kids. All grossly obese and rude. Could not believe the amount of food they consumed. Kids complained about everything while playing on their devices over dinner. They were not locals that is for sure.
    The vehicle (4WD) had never been off road....... so obvious.
    Is this the norm in modern day society?
    I really felt sorry for the kids.
    Not the first time I have noticed this either this year. So many plump (being kind) kids on the beach.

What's going on?:eek:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Australia joined the moratorium on whaling in 1979, since then the number of beachings has increased dramatically.

craigc, TMNT, chylld and 3 others like this.
  3. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Being serious it is a very sad reflection on modern day living. Both Mum and Dad setting such a poor example. Kids think it's the norm to be disrespectful while shoveling in bucket loads of food.
    No brains, happy without them!
    Do people notice this in the cities?

Shazi likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

If I go out to dinner, I tend to 'forget' my phone - no distractions.

5. qak

qak Well-Known Member

It's pretty obvious when you compare your own school photos to those from today.
    And you look in the bins in the school yard and they are full of chip packets.

6. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

I actually feel it is rude to attend dinner with a phone. I may be old school, but that's just me, and I have a business.

Peter_Tersteeg likes this.
  7. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Really that is very sad. What ever happened to outdoor activity? It can't be that hard to send kids to school with a healthy lunch. Monkey see, monkey do!

8. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

If anybody suggests an entire overhaul of schools' breakfast provision (believe it or not in this day and age) and lunch catering, for those parents who are unable to provide, then they might be onto to something, assuming an intelligent assessment of why the lack of food provision is experienced by the kids.

9. Scott No Mates

Latch-key kids, parents off to work before kids get up, kids expected to fend for themselves.

Healthy canteen is a load of BS - still have pies, snag rolls & cakes but can't have a chocolate milk or schnitzel sambo???

wylie likes this.
  10. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

t2 diabetes in a can

ta

rolf

Angel likes this.
  11. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I worked on one on the first fast food outlets in Australia on the g--c mid 70's at mermaid beach,and ivé often wonder if anyone ever measured the time it takes once those outlets gained power and the way it changed our eating habits ,and the results ..1970's was very different to today food wise..

12. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

this is not just a sydney/australian phenomenan.. every where around the world is the same. as car loans get easier and credit card etc are available.

This is the norm.

dont worry to much. you know whats right and wrong. you do you and let them do them.

GX1 likes this.
  13. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Except at property chat meetups, where you need to show off your latest deal or laugh at some post someone made.... :cool:

The Y-man

14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

If I'm every feeling a little "excess" I simply pop down to the local shopping center and feel like a svelte supermodel in comparison.

I reckon one of the major culprits (asides from being cheap) is drive thru takeaway. I don't think I've even gone thru one - only getting a coffee, honest - where there hasn't been at least 2-3 other cars - sometimes up to 20-ish - latching onto their fat in a bag for breakfast, or $1 mega cup of frozen sugar for the kids after school.

If they had to park, get out, walk in, order,,wait, walk back to the car - the consumption would be significantly reduced

15. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

The more I age the more I realise my understanding of people is that I don't understand them.

Maybe they do things as they don't consider the impact on others. The merest thought of such has not even yet begun to cross their minds. And it isn't due to being unintelligent as I understand around 80% of people are considered to be of average intelligence. Possibly they cannot be bothered to think as it could require some effort on their part. I simply don't know.

As for those who are overweight, I suspect they know they are. Some probably don't care, know what to do about it, don't want to do something about it or have a genetic or medial condition as the underlying cause. I'm slightly cautious now about passing judgement on them.

16. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

At the risk of exposing my naivety to the PChat community, I am appalled by this scenario.

And, in no way am I an advocate of the Nanny State, but such scenarios indicate that a substantial "Don't be a ********" penalty be imposed for such negligence.

This would also come in handy for those who leave kids in cars whilst they play pokies, run down emus for the benefit of their social media likes, certain shoplifting offences where a number of people overwhelm a stores' employees whilst stealing, and seemingly never-ending road rage offences where the complainant is the initial offender.

Last edited by a moderator: 18th Jan, 2019
  17. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

The difference between a land rover and an echidna is an echidna has pricks on the outside

mikey7 likes this.
  18. sash

sash Well-Known Member

They are just being CUBs.....;)