What’s a reasonable expectation of a Sales Agent?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Allyoop, 17th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Allyoop

Allyoop New Member

I’d be interested to know what your expectations of a sales agent would be? What sort of communication and engagement would you expect from a sales agent?

I don’t know if this would colour your response but the projected sales price is $4M plus, so at 2% commission the commission to the Agent is $80K plus.

[d4rk-fr3d] likes this.
  2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Probably a reasonable amount of communication and engagement?

Do you have a specific issue? I don't get the point of asking such a 'piece of string' question.

3. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

You mean before or after they get the listing?

Beforehand they will be blowing smoke up your proverbial. After the listing they will probably be conditioning you down depending on the success of the sales campaign.

In general you should expect weekly updates on enquiries/ inspections/ number of viewings etc etc. Plus full feedback on possible buyers and plans for OFIs.

Also remember, the agent does not get their commission if there is not a sale (to your satisfaction) so don't feel you need to lower your expectations should the Agent have initially set them at a certain level.

Soy likes this.
  4. Allyoop

Allyoop New Member

Fair enough :) I initially put a lot more detail but didn’t want to show my own bias.

I guess the question is what constitutes a reasonable amount of communication and engagement? For example, I would expect a weekly update on the sales campaign and examples of proactive efforts to market the property. Is that expectation too high, and instead it’s a matter of just waiting for them to let me know if there is any action?

I don’t want to be THAT client so just trying to understand if my expectations fall outside custom and practice.

5. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

This is my previous experience:
    1. Marketing strategies are discussed before appointment of the agent, and then maybe check in again before the campaign starts.
    2. Agent would let me know when they plan to have viewings the week of and who would be present (mid week it might be the offsider only, weekends may be different where they have bigger teams)
    3. After each open home/inspection, I would get a call maybe an hour later, or at the end of the day at the very least to inform me how many parties turned up, feedback from the buyers, and whether there has been any interest. During these calls, sometimes strategy may change, or they tell me that things are going good and will proceed as per plan.
    4. Beginning of the new week, I get a weekly summary (of the past week) of how many people turned up, how follow up’s went and how many online views the campaign has had.
    5. Offers get communicated to me straightway.

Ps- my properties haven’t been high end like yours.

wylie and [d4rk-fr3d] like this.