What would you do now scenario?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by ynot2009, 12th Jul, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ynot2009

ynot2009 Member

Hi all,
    I am a new member and am looking for some advice, basically a "What would you do now?" scenario. I have a basic understanding of finance principles but do not have enough nous or confidence to follow my gut instinct.

I bought my home approximately 2 years ago for approx. $450k. Borrowed $344k. I have split the loan into P&I and IO, 50%-50% fixed-variable. To date, myself and my partner have paid approx. $80k. This $80k is in effectively an offset account.

I own approx. $30k in shares and have approx. $5-10k in the bank. We own our car. I have an approved margin loan account available of $50k with my shares as collateral. To date, this account has not been used.

My partner's salary services the loan with approx. $1k to spare. She earns approx. $65k before tax. I earn approx. $80k before tax (in my own small pty. Ltd. company. The company earns more than this, around $15k, but i only pay myself this figure to stay within the 30% tax bracket).

Possibly looking to start a family within 2-3 years (we will then be on my wage only for around 6 months before my partner goes back to work p/t) and purchase a car later this year for approx. $50k (in the company name (or do i lease?)). When we do start a family, i will also pay my partner a wage to do the books etc. from home therefore lowering my taxable income by as much as possible.

I would like to purchase an IP later this year, if not earlier, yet don't really know if this is the right action? I would then like to get a 3rd then 4th IP as soon as practical in the future. Would using my margin loan be a better response? Should i debt recycle-how though?

What i really like to know is "what would you do if you were in my shoes"? Potentially i will receive different responses from this thread, and i know there are different ways to skin a cat so to speak, however, i will be looking for a common thread in responses where possible.

My investment timeframe would be 5-10+ years and consider myself to be not scared of risk but obviously not a risk cowboy. I understand that risk and return are generally inclusive of eachother.

By accountant is not much help unfortunately and my financial advisor has gone AWOL.

Any sound assistance / advice would be greatly appreciated. I understand it is only advice that will be provided, but i am sure that your advice will be from past experience which can only assist me.

Thanks again in advance.

2. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Ynot,

I'd be getting an appointment with a financial planner as you have many different goals which they can help you with.

Cheers,

Dan

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.