What would you do in my situation? FHO x IP

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Jose Julio, 8th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Which option would you consider the best?

Poll closed 18th Feb, 2021.
  1. To live in - FHO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. To invest

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Jose Julio

Jose Julio New Member

Hey all,

I would like to hear your opinion about two scenarios:

Current situation:
    • My first real state investment.
    • Not sure about my borrowing capacity yet but income is around 80k-100k - self-employed through my own company.
    • Paying $780 rent.
    • I will move out soon (in 6 months) and try to find a good apartment to rent for around $600 - In Sydney still.

Given the situation, I have two alternatives:
    • Use the FHO benefits and buy a 2-4 years old apartment (<= 650k in Miranda, Rockdale or Kogarah that is likely to go up in price and I'd like to live in for at least 3 years). And of course take advantage on the low interest rate and stamp duty benefits for a first home owner. Likely that the property will be turned into a IP and I'd buy another one to living in 3 years (or even before).
      • Advantages:
        • Very low cost upfront taking advantages on the FHO grants.
        • No worrying about renting (yields x vacancy rates), management fees and so on as I will be living in there.
        • Maybe it's buyer's time now for apartments as opposite to houses? They might be easier to negotiate.
      • Disadvantages:
        • It's an apartment. (considering that houses in QLD grow up in value way more than apartments in Sydney ?????)
    • Buy a house as an investment property somewhere in Queensland. But to do so, I'd need to hire an agent as I don't know the suburbs. Therefore, I'd start with a Buyer's agent cost (13k) + stamp duty + investment interest rate.
      • Advantages:
        • It's a house.
        • I will have some cashflow.
      • Disadvantages:
        • At least 25k cost upfront considering BA and stamp duties.
        • I'll need to find another place to live in anyway - Sydney still.
        • Riskier as I'll deal with tenants.
    I would love to hear your opinion,

Thank you all,