What would you do in 2020?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Rodd, 28th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

100% agree. The planning around assets is critical.

Most people do not think through these issues. I know someone who only bought the top 20% of product in Sydney. The indicated that they would never sell so they did not worry about CGT impact.

Well 20 years later...wifey want to wind down...and he has has about 800-1.5m trapped in gains in each property.

One of their houses requires a lot money..and the plan to sell. But the issue they don't want to give up their jobs either. These are under their names but on 1.2m profit 600k ti added to their name. They are annoyed they will on;y keep about 900k out of the 1.2m.

If they split these up into cheaper properties it would have been easier to bring down the taxable component.

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

if i turned back the wheels of time I would balance the portfolio with a good spread of shares

property in retirement is not passive but I am not really complaining .... Property has given me a great life style and financial freedom

just should have tweaked it...what I am telling my children

Realist35, The Y-man and wylie like this.
  3. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

I don't quite get how these are cautionary tales.

They made $1M by investing in quality assets - great result.

They would be more annoyed if they invested in crap assets with little returns.
    Perhaps there is this alternate universe where they make the same returns and pay no tax - so what ?
    There are hundreds of other scenarios, some better and a lot worse.

Should be delighted about the 75% they are keeping - I know we are.

Sackie and MTR like this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No wrong or right, as long as you are making money

have learnt not to be fanatical about strategies, one shoe does not fit all

5. Tonibell

I'm not sure that is correct.

I thought it was just total UCV less the threshold - the number of properties makes no difference.

croseks likes this.
  6. Tonibell

Agree.

I'm just not discounting a strategy because I'll have to pay tax on the $1M it makes me.

People are very funny about tax - I've had staff reject a large bonus because it'll push them up a tax bracket or two.

Sackie, Archaon and MTR like this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Ditto
    I dont understand this either

8. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

If I had my time again I wouldn’t buy resi.

Shogun likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I pay a **** load of all kinds of taxes. But I also make a **** load too. There is no way to avoid paying taxes the more you realise gains to live a great lifestyle. You absolutely can minimise tax, but not avoid paying more tax overall.

Those who pay little tax and are obsessed to to try and save every last cent, I can guarantee you are making much smaller profits than those paying more in tax. It's common sense. At the end of the day, whatever works for the individual. There is so much dick measuring by some you gotta wonderful what it's overcompensating for.

Last edited: 1st Feb, 2020
  10. Gestalt

Gestalt Well-Known Member

OP, you have currently have $2.3M allocated to residential real estate. You don't mention how much super you have, or how that is allocated, but it seems clear that your asset allocation skews very heavily to residential real estate.

Do you both contribute the maximum $25K each to super? Utilised your non-concessional contributions to super?

Outside of super, have you considered diversifying into equities (domestic and international), commercial property (via REITs or unlisted funds), fixed interest etc?

11. croseks

croseks Well-Known Member

Sorry was typing on the phone and got distracted, the main point I forgot to add (which makes all the difference :oops:) was that if you can split up 2 x $600k properties through different entities and then lower the total amount of land tax compared to 1 x $1.2M.

eg. Scenario 1)
    Steve owns 1 x $600k, ABC Trust owns 1 x $600k (land value). Total land tax in VIC = 975 + 975 = $1950

Scenario 2)
    Steve owns 1 x $1.2M (land value), land tax = $4575

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF