What would you do if money was no object?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by mrdobalina, 15th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Only quitters fail.
    If you haven't quit, you haven't failed.

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

lol....they tend to do things like that these days, but need no lead from you :)

I agree, this sort of thinking may have been ok 50 years ago, but it won't work now, I like what I do but the money won't get you far & basically, made more from same thing 3 decades ago.

We all love the cheap gadgets etc we have, but we have and are eroding our own jobs and economy in the process.

3. Phil_22

Phil_22 Well-Known Member

I could retire tomorrow with enough money I'd fine plenty of things to keep me occupied.

Something's that I see myself doing in retirement

- travel both here and abroad
    - volunteer at local golf club and footy club
    - fishing
    - work on my golf game
    - spending quality time with friends and family
    - attend as many sporting events around the world as possible - All 4 golf majors, tennis grand slams, Australian cricket tours, Follow Liverpool FC through England and Europe.
    Attend NBA games, college football in USA

I could go on for days....

I'm motivated to get to a point where a fair portion of this is attainable that's for sure!

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I'll pm you my CV. I believe I am the teacher you require.

legallyblonde and Magnet like this.
  5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

You already know that I just want to read, travel and renovate until the day I die.

If money was no object, I would set up a boarding school for Teenagers who have a disability so that they can spend more time doing what we teach them at school now.

We have a great social skills and life skills program that we run during morning tea and lunch time, but I would love to see this consolidated after school too. I would like to access an acreage property nearby where we have a live-in program from Monday to Friday for say three months. The students would still live with their parents on weekends, but instead of going home at 3 pm, they would be able to continue playing together until bed time. They would be able to learn more about budgeting, cooking, laundry, shopping etc that we dont get time to teach them in our too-crowded days at school.

The property would have several single or double bedrooms and staff quarters as well as the usual homey shared facilities and one or two classrooms. There would be a pool, horse-riding and a couple of live-in pets. There would be daily sports, art, gardening etc as well as the usual academic curriculum.

When I told my Head of Department, she leaned forward, grabbed my hands, looked me in the eye and asked, "When do we start?" I just shrugged my shoulders, assuming we would need gazzillions of dollars and several years to work through all the govt bureaucracy. She reckons there will be funding somewhere. I'll have to get her working on that now that she is stuck at home with her foot in a cast.

6. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

That sounds amazing. So when are you gonna start? :)

7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

After my road trip in May?

Gockie likes this.
  8. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

If you are serious about this, then we need to talk at the next catch up Angel. We have four schools and about to add another, so can give you a lot information re funding etc.

mrdobalina likes this.
  9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

:)

mrdobalina likes this.
  10. mrdobalina

How did you go Angel? Set up your dream school yet? :)

11. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

If money was no object, I'd buy in Sydney :)

12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I have been more successful at work starting as a data analyst, progressing to business analyst, then business process engineer and now project manager. I don't love it but I am very good at my job. The only remotely interesting thing I have done in the last 10 years is business processes engineering.

My passion is property. I like buying properties for less than they should have sold for then renovating them. I have always wanted to build and I am into my first build now... pad down. I have not been investing long so I haven't made heaps of money yet but I am following my passion for sure. Just come back in about 10 years and I will tell you if it worked. ;)

mrdobalina and BKRinvesting like this.
  13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I discussed our friend's kind offer with my Head of Dept and we both decided that the work involved was far too great for either of us to deal with while we are working full time. Like I said, if money (and therefor time) was no object.......

So if one of you philanthropists would like to donate the land and employ me as the Director.....

mrdobalina likes this.
  14. mrdobalina

Don't be afraid to pursue your dreams. It sounds like a great cause.

15. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Always wondered why we seem to consistently see eye to eye (via the 'like' proxy of this forum).
    Now it makes a bit more sense.
    I'm a PM and PMO guy. Similar vocations.
    I enjoy it but it doesn't get me going like investing/renovating and planning and pursuing financial freedom does.

Would love to actually meet one day. Planning a trip to the blue mountains NSW anytime soon? ;)

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Not soon. Next year is a possibility though. :)

BKRinvesting likes this.
  17. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Travel the world while working as a freelance journalist and maybe write a book/s too

mrdobalina likes this.
  18. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

What do you define as success though? It's ok to be good at your job, and not love it. It's set you up to try something else.

Were you passionate about property from day 1? Or did you think "It looks like a good way to set myself up for financial freedom, I'll give it a crack?" And so far, you've been seeing signs of success, maybe not winning all the time, but enough to feel encouraged to keep going.

What if your first property investment was a dismal failure? Would you feel so passionate about it? What if you had another go, and it went to pot as well?

Richard Branson, Larry Page, Elon Musk, et al.. Advise people to "Follow their passion". Why? It's usually in response to a question? What do you believe is the secret to your success? It doesn't seem very enlightening or cool to say, "Work really hard, try a bunch of different things, be prepared to fail a lot, and hope you get a lucky break with an awesome idea.".

Much catchier to say "Follow your passion!"

Perthguy likes this.
  19. mrdobalina

I would sail around the Mediterranean and hop from island to island, country to country. Home school the kids whilst showing them the world.

Would need to learn to sail first. And swim. Lol

20. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Sounds awesome, but if money were no object, you could just have a fully crewed ship like the Maltese Falcon..