What would put you off buying a property?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Adele, 31st Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

What is a deterrent when you buy a property?

Poll closed 7th Jan, 2016.
  1. Feng Shui (I just had to put this in lol)

10.8%
  2. Irregular shaped land

10.8%
  3. Battle Axe

13.5%
  4. Noise Level

37.8%
  5. Tenant demographics

27.0%
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Irregular blocks can be excellent especially if they have development potential, I know Westminster picked up a gem due to irregular shape block, I did the same with recent purchase. Perhaps what some think is a lemon can actually be turned into lemonade:)

Last edited: 1st Jan, 2016
    Adele and EN710 like this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Agree. There are houses that will sell in any market and there are houses that will only sell in a strong market.
    My sister bought her place in a slow market and bought an ideal home for a reasonable price. Very wide flat land, beautiful big home on over 900sqm metres of land...
    But she had time to reject 80 or so other homes. She'll have no trouble selling it at any time.

I just bought mine because it had the special appeal... if it didn't, I would not have bought it. If I sell mine in a strong market I can imagine multiple buyers prepared to pay top dollar for it because of the rarity factor.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think with the improvements and attributes of the property ie development potential, period features etc you will do very well while also achieving an income. Nice:)

Gockie likes this.
  4. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I must be shallow, if I dont like the look of it, then its a turnoff for me - definitely no pool, if the shopping centre [for groceries/milk etc] is a major one e.g. Charlestown, there will be parking issues, that's a no no. I llive in a regional area and since leaving Sydney have become accustomed to smaller shopping centres with easier parking.

Adele likes this.
  5. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I bought a triangle dev block that split into 2 unusual shapes. It's fine though b/c it's in the hills where people expect slightly quirky, and the land is still very useable. Plus both blocks are large - around 1000sqm each. It was fun designing the new build to use the land effectively.

Gockie and MTR like this.
  6. TheGreenLeaf

TheGreenLeaf Well-Known Member

Rarity factor: very important aspect for some buyers, especially for the ones looking for a PPOR

Adele and Gockie like this.
  7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I'm very fussy. Flood-proof is a no-brainer. Property has to have good breezes, be sunny in Winter and preferably on the eastern side of a hill - no afternoon sun in Summer and no wind in Winter. Not backing onto shops or a school (been there, done that in the past). Not on a main road. Not a battle axe but unusual shapes are fine. And definitely no neighbours overlooking my back yard.

I scored the mother load of great location with this home site, so much so that it took at least 25 years to finally get past the "I'll never leave" syndrome. We back onto a well-cared for park too.

Last edited: 1st Jan, 2016
    Adele and Gockie like this.
  8. Gockie

Hi Angel... agree with all the above... but don't you mean East side?

9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Yes! Thanks for that. Just edited it.

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

A cemetery close by. I love my horror films and it would hit too close to home having a cemetery around.................unless of course the price is right.. then i'll make room for the ghosts!

astinus4 likes this.
  11. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I have just bought a house [exchanged just before Xmas] after looking for 5 months. House had to be at least 3/4 bedrooms, 2 separate living rooms, 2/3 bathrooms.

Cant believe my luck, house is a 5 minute walk to Lake Macquarie and Warners Bay shopping centre, comes with a separate downstairs huge rumpus with its own kitchenette and bathroom, separate front door etc. house is 2 storey, with a view of the lake. Got it for less than they were first offered, would be purchasers couldn't raise finance, and the vendor wanted a sale quickly to they could get into a retirement village. Only time I was able to pay cash for a property, due to settle late February. :D

Property Twins, Gockie, Adele and 2 others like this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

13. Gockie

Whoo hoo!
    Just like mine but a little bit different. Congrats!!

14. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

Iamnumber5, Adele and Sackie like this.
  15. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I like irregular shapes, usually the price is cheaper as there is no competition :)

My last block has 5 sides, no right angles, no equal sides. Still managed to put a free standing granny flat with its own street frontage. ;)

16. Adele

Adele Well-Known Member

Hi @neK ,

So, yes for irregular....but for short term-hold? I'd love to be able to develop an irregular shape, but I'm afraid I'm not very creative.:)

17. tavinium

tavinium Well-Known Member

Would most tenants stay only on average 2-3 years under normal circumstances anyway? Let's say the tenant did miss something in inspection. I guess if you have them leave after 12 month that is double or more the turn over rate.

18. Gockie

Some stay for 10 years or longer.....

19. Adele

Adele Well-Known Member

What about easements? Along the side or rear of the property.

Does this affect a valuation at all?

20. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

I don't get the hate for battleaxe? I've lived in a couple and they were great, much better than street frontage from a noise and parking perspective. About the only negative I can think of is you have to walk further to take the bins out?

For me a high maintenance garden is probably the biggest single turn off for a PPOR, a garden in general is right up there but high maintenance is a big game changer (not exactly cheap to get rid of them).

Of the ones listed tenant demographics are absolutely the biggest factor for me. I've lived near noise (train station and trucks in separate houses), you quite simply get used to it and don't even notice it and these days if you're building it's a total non-factor as you just build it out. Land shape is only really an issue if you're building again, barring an extreme shape it's not a big issue either and actually allows you to build something other than a box. Feng Shui for me is about as big a factor as the neighbours middle name, ie. beyond zero.

Adele likes this.