What would be best way to convert AUD to USD?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Chabs, 9th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

I have been doing some shopping around and it looks like most margins are about 1c to 2c per dollar if you convert to USD locally.

In the past I have had a friend convert large sums with about 0.15c in costs, this method is not possible anymore. Does anybody have advice on where to get the more competitive rates these days? I was expecting losses of about 0.2-0.5c on the dollar, not more than 1c per dollar!

Purpose would be twofold 1. for an OS property purchase and 2. For paying overseas invoices, I know banks will open USD accounts, but the banks' offer was a 1.4c margin if we converted the AUD through them!

Have already looked at transferwise, they work with one of the countries I need to send USD to, but not the other. They are about 0.47c on the dollar, so on the higher end. I was thinking if there is a local place to buy the USD, happy to send through a USD bank account and then only pay the $10 international transaction fee.

2. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Commbiz is great their spreads are very tight.

Although i dont think you can do it as a retail client.
    I just had a look
    OFX | Bank beating rates on global money transfers

Is offering extremely good rates. So much so I think we need to talk to our bank. :)