Entertainment & Music What videogames are you playing?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Zoolander, 30th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I booted up and old copy of the original Civilization for DOS last night in DOSBox. I started a game, the graphics are terrible! It was all going so easy that I thought it was a bit boring really. Then my entire empire spiralled out of control and I couldn't fix it. That sucked me right in. I reloaded an earlier save and did some things very, very differently. I just wanted to set up a few things before bed.... which kept me up until 20 past 2. :(

Forgot how addictive those games are. Even with terrible graphics its very engaging.

If anyone wants a trip down memory lane...

paulF and BKRinvesting like this.
  2. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Latest game:

Player Unknown Battlegrounds https://www.playbattlegrounds.com

Effectively think The Hunger Games/Battle Royale where you try to be the last person standing out of 100 people. You're parachuted onto an island and the playable area increasingly encroaches, whilst people scramble to find weapons, medical supplies and armour.

You can play with a squad up to four people - I'd definitely recommend having a headset/mic.

Zoolander and Perthguy like this.
  3. Perthguy

I also picked up a copy of Colonization from GOG. I have never played it but I would like to complete the series:
    Civilization (Space Victory, Conquest Victory)
    Colonization (Independence)
    CivNet (Space Victory, Conquest Victory)
    Civilization II (Space Victory, Conquest Victory)
    Civilization III (Space Victory, Conquest Victory, Cultural Victory, Diplomatic Victory)
    Civilization IV (Space Victory, Conquest Victory, Cultural Victory, Diplomatic Victory)
    Civilization IV: Colonization (Independence)
    Civilization V (Science Victory, Domination Victory, Cultural Victory, Diplomatic Victory)

Colonization is hard! I thought I was going ok but suddenly I got fired and the game ended :(

Zoolander likes this.
  4. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

upload_2017-5-1_19-3-4.png
    And that doesn't include the countless hours where I've watched others play on Youtube :oops:

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

My friends are nuts over this, especially those who played Dayz. My laptop is too crap to handle it, otherwise I'd join in :(
    the match videos on youtube are thoroughly enjoyable though, particularly from Jackfrags, who seems to routinely win or come close to winning each match.was watching this highlights montage earlier:

I installed Flatout 2, a racing game from ~2006. Wouldve been 19yo then and man, this brings back memories!
    Trailer:

Anyone else here enjoy those old school racers? Like Micro machines, carmageddon, or the very firat Need For Speed or Colin Mcrae?

6. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

NFS UG2 is where it's at.
    Hasnt been a better street racing game since.
    Forza Horizon(s) are a solid contender though.

7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I hear you!

upload_2017-5-1_22-49-12.png

I've only got 3 Steam achievements left ... got my "win in under 15-hours" achievement last night!

So I just have the following achievements left:
    • Lazy *******: Win the game by crafting no more than 111 items manually.
    • There is no spoon: Finish the game within 8 hours.
    • You are doing it right: Construct more machines using robots than manually.
    I'm not sure I'm going to try the 8 hour speed run - I think I know how to do it, but it will likely take multiple attempts and actually documenting what works and what causes bottlenecks so I can optimise output ... not sure I can be bothered.

The no more than 111 items manually crafted challenge is screwing with my head - because it would require a substantial rethink on how I play the game.

I might do the "doing it right" challenge next - now that I've done some high throughput runs with massively huge factories (20m green circuits took several weeks and I had over 60 trains in operation to keep everything supplied!) ... I think I've got a good handle on full automation.

I guess the 111 items manually crafted is the next logical step, but that would require a lot more discipline.

Of course, just as I'm about to complete all the challenges - they are shortly going to release v0.15 which has a heap of new features (nuclear power, infinite science, lots of different science packs, etc), and I'm sure it will come with a bunch of new Steam achievements too. Looks like I won't escape just yet - dammit.

Perthguy likes this.
  8. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

Flatout 2 is an all-time fave. My kids love watching that.

Great work on the achievements. For the Lazy *******, this guy ( ) does a great job. I've also been watching "Katherine of Sky" where she builds outposts to build green circuits and brings THOSE in by train!

9. Corey Batt

Laptop? Having a good desktop computer is basically an essential next to food, shelter and water these days if you like games.

I usually play in a squad of four with some mates - consistently we're in top 10-20 but it does become incredibly difficult playing the odds when the play area is barely the size of a house in the final stage.

10. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

You still play? Actually stumbled back across CS as noticed you can bet on the pro gaming now :|

From there I started watching some live streaming, starting to get a itch again to play.

Haven't got a desktop yet at my new place, but do have a entire study that's completely empty ready to be decked out.

11. Corey Batt

Yep - good stress reliever. The wife does come in the study at times to tell me to "quiet down" if it's a particularly heated match.

12. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Damm knowing someone plays makes me want to more ***runs out buys new setup***

Actually there was a thread a while ago about how to build your own setup cheap.

Thoughts on what I should look at???

You play public most of the time or have a group you war with?

Zoolander likes this.
  13. Simon Hampel

If you want a good setup, don't aim for cheap.

My advice is to do your research and choose your price-point for the graphics capability you seek - essentially, choose your video card (GPU) first ... from there you just need a case big enough to handle it and an appropriate mobo.

A mid-range CPU is generally good enough - no need to go ultra high-end.

Graphics capabilities of your CPU don't matter since it's your GPU which will determine your gaming performance.

My workstation PC is also my gaming machine and runs a Radeon R9 280X OC 3GB with an Intel i7 4771 CPU which has done well with just about everything I've thrown at it - especially given I run a 27" 2560x1440 monitor. Built in 2013, it's still going strong and I feel no need to upgrade it yet (although I'm not playing the latest FPS games anymore).

I built a HTPC for Christmas last year and chose a GTX 1060 G1 6GB GPU with an Intel Core i5 6500 and we use 4x Microsoft Xbox One controllers with a Wireless Adaptor to play 4-player couch games with the family at full HD resolution 1920x1080. It is fast enough for most things we've tried so far, but occasionally has difficulty with framerates on the more complex games (eg 4-screen Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed), but that machine was built to a fairly strict budget (under $2,000 for the complete build).

14. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info @Simon Hampel budget would be ~$1,500 - $3,000 would be FPS most of the time.
    Would be used for a work a fair bit as well.

15. Corey Batt

I usually play comp matches with whatever game I'm playing - have a group of guys (and girls) that I play with. Having a headset is essential IMHO in most games now.

As per machines - I think I paid 1.8k for my last machine last year (excluding screens, keyboard etc). Play most multiplayer games at the higher end of the spectrum for graphics.

Brady likes this.
  16. Simon Hampel

Personally, I think that unless you're going for ultra-high frame rates, then a GTX 1080 isn't really worth the money at over $1,000.

The GTX 1070 is probably the sweet spot for price/performance - but you're still paying $600+ for a good model, which is a fair chunk of your build price.

Like I said, I'm a bit disappointed with the GTX 1060, so unless you're on a strict budget, I wouldn't bother.

I like to look at the "best sellers" list on the Scorptec website to get an indication of what everyone is buying.

Seems the high end gamers are buying this: Buy Gigabyte AORUS X GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition, 11GB | Graphics Cards - Scorptec Computers ($1249)

... while the mid-range gamers are going for this one: Buy Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming, 8GB | Graphics Cards - Scorptec Computers ($599)

AMD have gone out of favour with gamers recently - doesn't really seem to be anything popular showing up.

Brady likes this.
  17. Perthguy

GeForce GTX 1080 8GB is already down to under $700!

GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Shopping and Price Comparison Australia - Buy Cheap

One tip is to wait for the next gen video cards to be released. Then everything below that gets a price drop.

You can get a GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8G for $525.

ARC Computers

I am looking at Fallout 4 and if I get the high resolution texture pack these are the minimum requirements:

Fallout 4 - High Resolution Texture Pack Minimum Requirements
    CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K or better
    RAM: 8 GB+ Ram
    Video Card: GeForce GTX 1080 8GB

Seems expensive. And if I built that, there is no future proofing.

Brady likes this.
  18. Simon Hampel

8GB ??? All the cool kids are buying 11GB 1080s :p

Brady likes this.
  19. Perthguy

I recommend system requirements lab (can you run it). Search for a game and it brings back recommended requirements.

Requirements Test

For example, if I buy Fallout 3 Game of the Year edition, the recommended specs are:
    Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition Recommended Requirements
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    RAM: 2 GB
    Video Card: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA 8800 series, ATI 3800 series)

Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition Requirements Test

Pretty low specs. I would have to guess something I might buy and build from that. For example:

Fallout 4 Recommended Requirements
    CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz/AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz or equivalent
    RAM: 8 GB
    Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB/AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB or equivalent

Fallout 4 Requirements Test

And then spec it up a little from there to future proof (a little).

My strategy is to always be around 10 years behind on my gaming so I can get the hardware I need at a much lower price ;)

Brady likes this.
  20. Perthguy

I am way behind on my hardware. Last gaming rig I built was in 2012.

What would I know? I am currently playing Civilisation (1991). Next game will be Civilization II: Multiplayer Gold Edition (1997). Last game was Command and Conquer (1995).

If I make it all the way to Fallout 3, I will need a NVIDIA 8800 series or ATI 3800 series.

It's laughable. By the time I make it to Fallout 3 there will have been several new generations of video cards and a 11GB 1080 will be cheap ;)