Entertainment & Music What videogames are you playing?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Zoolander, 30th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

You just have to choose the right games.

We have a PC and buy games through Steam, but most of the games we buy for the kids are available on XBox. We have 4 XBox One controllers with an XBox Wireless adapter for the PC and it works really well gaming on the couch.

Games the kids love:
    • Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed (this was the first game I bought for them)
    • F1 Race Stars (not as good as Sonic)
    • Lego Marvel Super Heroes (this is the kids favourite at the moment - my 5yo and my 8yo play together)
    • Wreckfest (not multi-player)
    • Overcooked (can get really hard, but the kids just play the easy levels over and over and try and beat their high scores - great for the whole family to play together - even my wife plays with us)
    • Pacman 256
    • Rocket League (quite hard, but lots of fun once you get better at it)
    • Robot Roller-derby Disco Dodgeball (we only just got this and I only played it once and found it really had to work out how to control it - but my 8yo son has played by himself a few times and says he has worked it out a bit more).
    We love going to the park as well.

Casteller likes this.
  2. TadhgMor

TadhgMor Well-Known Member

Likewise, played them with my kids as they grew up. Also played all the BattleFields up to #4 and Titanfall.

Anyone ever a member of TOG ?

Had to give it all away when I got arthritis in my hands, any game play of an hour leaves me in pain for a day now :(

We also have an Xbox 1 in the lounge room and the wife and I play RayMan on it. Great fun and laughs for when we just don't want to do anything else.

Even so I cant play for much more than an hour

Oh and the occasional Angry Birds :D

3. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Never been into gaming before, but got all the hardware set up and got the daughter an XBox for Christmas, but she's only played it for a few hours.
    Since I just got into cars, I'd love to get some racing games with a proper steering wheel set up which will be great on the 150" screen.
    Just don't know how long the interest would last, as I'm usually bored after 5 mins.

And body else have a racing simulator cockpit set up?
    Any recommendations?

4. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

Got Civ 6 last night. Spent a few hours this afternoon... looking good so far! Hope no one's going to keep count of my hours.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

I have a Logitech GT racing wheel for my PS3 and can tell you, its a lot more satisfying than playing racing games on a controller. Pair it with a pair of good headphones and you'll have a dependable way to get thrills if you have pockets of free time. Consider Forza for your xbox and Dirt which a great challenging rally game.

Even if you play with the wheel only once a week, it'll be a real thrill which never gets old.

6. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I spend most of my game time retro gaming now. I have a Raspberry Pi with a couple of PS3 controllers bluetoothed to it.

Then on PC, I still play Half life (and all the derivatives of), Diablo 1, 2 and 3, New wolfenstein (and the second one, can't remember it's name) and I just finished the new version of Doom (in fact, pretty much any FPS I will play on PC).

I am still up in the air weather or not to buy a PS-VR

charttv likes this.
  7. Steven_S

Steven_S Well-Known Member

Perhaps not a video game, but flight simulators such as X-Plane and Microsoft FSX are a lot of fun and educational, and remind me that i should have joined the Air Force or entered a flight cadet-ship after leaving school!

Could have flown myself between Geelong and my IP in brissy! ;-)

8. Simon Hampel

Still playing Factorio.

Going for the 20 million green circuit achievement now. In the process of rebuilding my factory to optimise copper -> wire -> green circuit production because current projections put it at around another 200 hours to generate the 15 million circuits I still need!

Also launching lots of satellites as a way of using up all the green circuits I'm producing (I have a very large red circuit production plant as well). I think I've launched 10 already this game (basically, won the game 10 times over).

That also needs lots of oil for creating plastics and solid fuel for the rocket - so regularly out exploring for new reserves and running increasingly long rail links out to them.

Already have over 20 trains operating (copper, oil and coal for the power stations) - and adding new trains regularly.

Actually, now that I'm converting my coal fired smelters to electric smelters, I'm going to need to dramatically expand my power stations - so a lot more coal required there.

I can't be bothered laying down the literally thousands of solar panels I'd need to replace them - currently generating over 200MW of power from coal-fired steam power, would require something like 3,500 solar panels - and that would only provide power during daylight hours.

Would need even more solar panels if I was to generate surplus power to charge accumulators to continue providing sufficient power to operate the factory when the sun goes down.

Can't wait for nuclear power to be available in an upcoming version of the game!

Do NOT start playing this game.

bob shovel, BKRinvesting and Steven_S like this.
  9. RenegadeDom

RenegadeDom Well-Known Member

Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It is epic! Been a long time lover of the Zelda franchise and this title doesn't disappoint

luckyone and Zoolander like this.
  10. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Oh and one I forgot, I absolutely LOVE AdVenture Capitalist on iPhone and Android. I just finished it after about 2 years of playing :)

11. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

I went off AdVenture Capitalist once I realised you can push the time forward in order to cheat :(

12. Simon Hampel

13. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I went through a stage where I was playing plants vs zombies with my teenage son - it got boring after a while when we both reached all levels very quickly.

Now he's playing stuff that are beyond my ability lol

14. Zoolander

Hopefully he's gone on to more challenging games?
    There seems to be a spike in management style games - from Simon's Factorio or Prison Architect (design and run a prison) to even city-building games where you have to deal with traffic jams and design efficient underground railways. All really good at developing skills for life IMO.

The occasional mindless shooting game or Candy Crush is good too :)

bob shovel and Xenia like this.
  15. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

There was a major lull in management games for a number of years, I have loved seeing the minor resurgence of them.
    Tycoon and management games are by far my favourite genre. I try to avoid them now though as I just lose too many hours into them.

edit: on another note, its frustrating how difficult it is talking to the millennial gen about them though as when I try to explain the concept they just think of those garbage click and wait/pay to win iPhone games...

16. Zoolander

@BKRinvesting
    Its all about immediate gratification these days.
    Been playing Euro and American truck simulator to chill out these days. Driving to save up, enough to get a bank loan to buy a garage and hire drivers to make money for you while taking a puney cut as wages (just like in real life!).

Completely screwed up the first time I played by panicking about my loans and selling all my trucks at a loss to pay down the loan. Ended up at my starting point while financially worse off than when i first started - theres parallels there to actual investing im sure.

BKRinvesting likes this.
  17. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Ha! Reminds me of when I told my wife about how I had just been fired in Football Manager.
    She just couldn't understand why I would play a game where I could be (in game) publicly humiliated and fired.
    But I can't understand how you could play a game with no real consequence for failure...

18. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

"To celebrate StarCraft HD, Blizzard is somewhat generously giving away the original for free. StarCraft and Brood War will both be free to download once patch 1.18 is rolled out on March 30. Once the update is live, StarCraft Anthology, which includes the original game and the Brood War expansion, will be free to download and play"

StarCraft Remastered

BKRinvesting likes this.
  19. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Has anyone played Fallout? I keep reading about it but I haven't played it. It's expensive! (to me)

Best deal I can find is $19 for Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics: Fallout Collection PC Game More in Store | eBay

OTOH, This is a good deal for Wasteland 2 ($9) but I don't know how much shipping it.

Wasteland 2 ~ PC Games

Tossing up as to whether I can be bothered playing Wasteland, Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics, Wasteland 2.

It's hard to track down legal copies of these old games at reasonable prices. But then I haven't pirated a game for years, so...

20. citystar

citystar Well-Known Member

Just finished grinding through Fallout 4, now playing through The Witcher 3.

Perthguy likes this.