What to put in my Airbnb ?

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Terrychris, 20th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

With good reviews and repeats you get escalated up the rankings. More enquiries = more $. Just a few dollars a stay to top things up is a great investment. Think of arriving at a hotel and finding no wine glass, one towel and a single coffee sachet (no milk) and one soap bar (no shampoo)...I wouldnt put in S&P shakers...Sachets like Maccas. Just a half dozen of each and keep it topped up. You arent stocking a supermarket. Just offering convenience items to make stay a 5 star experience.

I would either use a refillable liquid soap pump dispenser or buy a qty of mini bars too. (Ebay)
    More costly you can buy little tubes etc Pure Beach Guest Amenities Pack: 50 Shampoo, 50 Conditioners, 50 Soaps | eBay whats that $1.18 a stay

+toaster...People dont all like to eat out at cafes.
    +tomato sauce
    +etc....
    You dont need to supply food. Just what may go with it.

ebay Hotel Supplies as a guide

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

For the sake of trying to save a few dollars you may be losing hundreds the next time you want to let it out. Your future lets will depend on your reviews. I'd do as much as you need to make it as attractive as you can to your guests, to make a place that you would like to stay in with your special friend.

When we stay elsewhere we like places where self catering is an option. Who wants to get dressed to have breakfast? Sometimes a quick cook at home is preferable to going out to eat once again.

wylie likes this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Are you sure you are cut out to run an Airbnb studio? You are in the hospitality industry and your priority should be to make your guests comfortable.

Most people I know who use Airbnb want the convenience of self catering and preferably laundry facilities. Otherwise they may as well just stay in a cheap hotel.

You really need to fit out the kitchen so it is good to go. Milk, maybe some of those little tubs of butter, salt, pepper, tomato sauce, cooking oil etc., the basics you use on a daily basis. Imagine guests coming in later at night and want a cup of tea or coffee. Having to go out for milk is not a good start. A 600ml carton is not much more than $1.

geoffw and wylie like this.
  4. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

This. Airbnb is a LOT of work and you if you want to make money you need to make the guest comfortable so they give you good reviews and you can get more bookings. If you are making $300 a night, even if someone steals ALL the food you supplied, you are what, $15 out of pocket? The number of airbnb's continues to increase also so you really need to ensure you have a point of differentiation to ensure success.

wylie and geoffw like this.
  5. Terrychris

Terrychris Well-Known Member

back to my Airbnb , nearly ready for the Gay Mardi Gras !!

Thankyou guys and especially you Accountant Paul for your great info .will need to catch up with you soon, didnt put my 2016 return in yet , hope u can help me :eek:;)

Last edited: 21st Feb, 2017