What to buy for around $500K to $650K budget in Melbourne

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Gum, 30th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gum

Gum Member

Hello everyone,

I am looking to purchase a $500K to $650K IP in Melbourne.
    Thinking about Werribee, Broadmeadows, Cranbourne etc
    Wondering what you guys think? Any suggestions?

2. lil85

lil85 Well-Known Member

I bought my first investment property in Broadmeadows. Sold it with a loss. Low socio economic.

Werribee many house and land stocks. CG might be not too bad, but there are many properties for rent. Different story for properties in Werribee SC zone. So if you do buy, better buying in that zone.

I haven’t looked at Cranbourne, but also seems many house and land offered in the area.

I chose Frankston North. Limited stocks and less than 5 km to the beach.

melbinv82 and Hamish84 like this.
  3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Well-Known Member

Hows the Frankston North home going? Isn't that a low socio economic area too?

4. lil85

lil85 Well-Known Member

Yes but these days people are looking for place to live closer to the beach. With limited supply and high demand, it pushes the price up.

We bought an IP there for $455k in March, spent $40k on reno. Leased within a week for $400 pw. Not bad yield for Melbourne suburb, I guess. These days houses there sold for high $500k- mid $600k.

We were considering Werribee back then as the prices were similar. But considering there are so many newer properties for rent, we decided not to buy there. These days older houses in Werribee sold for low $500k. And just checked realestate.com.au, there are 180 of 3 bedrooms offered for rent
    Only 17 properties offered for rent in Frankston North

Last edited: 2nd Oct, 2021
    Hamish84 likes this.
  5. is_don_is_good

is_don_is_good Well-Known Member

I bought in 2017 and just sold it. I couldn't wait to get out of there. Frankston North is a true **** hole and I hope I never have to go back.

To top it all off I got a call from my real estate agent the day before my first open for inspection saying the Frankston Police rang him to let him know that some ice head in the street was being arrested out the front of my house.

The guy convinced the police that someone was in my investment property was in danger and was about to be murdered. The police then called the fire department who came, broke in through the back door and screwed up all the plaster and framing around the door. They left an ambulance Victoria blanket in my kitchen and took a crap in my toilet and used a face mask as toilet paper which wouldn't flush.

bamp, kaibo, ASXGJ1 and 3 others like this.
  6. is_don_is_good

Spend the money in Brisbane. You'll get a better place closer to the city with better tenants. I regret not doing that instead of buying in the outer burbs of Vic.

gman65 likes this.
  7. lil85

lil85 Well-Known Member

oh my goodness…

Well, my tenant has complained about people jumping into the backyard, and found some needles at the yard. Hopefully not getting worse. Just look at the numbers

8. is_don_is_good

There's always going to be heaps of houso bogans there but I do think you bought at the best time. Lots of people sold their investment properties quickly and for cheap during Covid so you could pick up some bargains. Most houses are selling $570k to $600k now, more for the better ones on big blocks. Either way you're up. Hopefully you have better luck than I did!

The Y-man and lil85 like this.
  9. HonestShiba

HonestShiba Well-Known Member

What about a 2-br unit in Ringwood? Closer to the 650k mark though

10. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Shaking my head...I've heard too many of these stories before....took a gamble in lower social places only to find out later it was a bad gamble in hindsight. My 2 cents - purchased in Heidelberg West back in 2017....50k over I reckon on hindsight. Found it really difficult to keep tenants as most bished the place was too dangerous.

The Y-man, kaibo and Luca like this.
  11. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Well I guess you are getting the rewards now :)

The Y-man likes this.
  12. Andrei9

Andrei9 Member

Go regional; 650 can still get you a decent CG property in say a Ballarat;