What the hell is happening to our clothes in this country?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by random, 3rd Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. random

random Well-Known Member

Thank pumkin and nope you aren't goin crazy ,,as l was saying even my daughter is having heaps of troubles with any sort of quality, Of course she can't afford top dollar but she shouldn't have too.
    l know what you mean about all the bells and whistles yet just garbage, l can't understand why they'd even bother either,although , quick money l suppose.

Not surprised men go to her for their pants , not at all. Man l dunno wth you have to do to buy pants made for men these days, seriously. l've even thought maybe women have taken over the designing and just don't understand the dynamics , umm, we need down there. Your mums got that one thank God at least someone has.

Surprised people mention Myre too, even them eh , growing up Myre was great quality , well so everyone use to say. Knew they're in hard times right now but l reckon sacrificing that is gonna end up a very bad move.

2. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

I would rather not walk into any of those stores. waist size seems pretty consistent for me with the clothes I buy. legs less so but there isn't some standard that must be complied with.

first world problem and not worth arguing about.

3. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

have to agree with @random
    probably a result of everything being manufactured / copied offshore, driven by the cheaper price, sacrificing quality and consistency.
    it's the new throw away economy, join the crowd

random likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Having warmed up chairs in the offices of 'brands' you learn a helluva a lot about the clothing and footwear industries and I'd have to agree 'oils ain't oils'.

You can buy two pairs of identical shoes/pants/shirts etc from any of the mass-market brands but due to the way they are manufactured (hundreds of layers of fabric/leather/etc cut through a stack of material), there will be size variations the thicker the pile of material used. The cut becomes less accurate and the end product less reliable. Typically, fast fashion is cheap, high turnover/rotation in stores - eg H&M, Aldo, Uniqlo, Zara etc - these products are designed at a pricepoint to be worn a few times and thrown out, even Vinnies don't want them as they don't have materials which make good rags.

Compare that to haute coture or low volume, where one or very few items are produced simultaneously, the cut and feel of a garment is truer to size. You pay for that outcome but will have a piece of clothing which will stand the test of time. My last suits were all made to measure, yes, there is a premium but outsourcing part of the supply chain (cheap labour with European fabrics/Australian superfine wool), the product is far superior to that which can be bought off the rack in most stores.

random and Lizzie like this.
  5. JSFF

JSFF Member

i buy my basic T's from H&m. cheap and easy , but they vary wildly! however i keep my fashion basic so no complaints. ;) i only shop once a year, just restock what i've worn out!

6. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

have no issues, barely bought anything in store, I know my size and brand mostly bought online
    from where ever I can get them, here, US, UK

none of my gear fall apart unless I want to throw them out for newer one

7. Kat

Kat Well-Known Member

There's a reddit community called Buy it for Life that identities manufacturers who build things to last. They often discuss clothing brand and some would be available in Australia. I found it helpful for womenswear.

random likes this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I really miss easily accessible hemp clothes - use to be available everywhere around 15-20 years back. Outlasted cotton by decades ... oh ... I guess that's why they stopped making them

9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

@datto kept trying to smoke them....

The Y-man

datto and Lizzie like this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Sheesh - you'd think he's realise there no high to be had from commercial (cotton replacement) hemp by now - gotta admit he is persistent :D

Last edited: 21st Sep, 2019
    datto likes this.
  11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

He probably realised this after he had smoked his fifth shirt.

datto and Lizzie like this.
  12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Look, arhh, I have heard stories of when things are dry, flanno shirts have been mulled with tobacco spin and then consumed.

You have to appreciate that a bogan's flanno shirt goes through winter (and summer) without being washed. It's also doubles a pyjama top and is considered appropriate court attire.

The theory is that high levels of THC are perspired by the body and "trapped" in the shirt. So by default the flanno shirt, be it made of hemp or cotton becomes an ideal source of an illicit substance.

If there were a bogan handbook, this would rank as a top ten tip.

Lizzie, The Y-man and geoffw like this.
  13. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

sizing was no issues in the 80's
    upload_2019-9-21_17-34-8.png

14. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah right, l'd love to buy online probly save a mint to but every time l see something the sizes are too tricky. My ex said you find places that have the stuff you want and keep using them then you'll know what you'll get.
    But eh, how much crap l gotta buy before l know who's good and the stuff will fit.

15. random

random Well-Known Member

Thanks l'll check it out.
    God l hate clothes stuff just want what l want and be done, never ends though for me these days.

16. random

random Well-Known Member

l know , l had my shops in my town , knew their sales knew their stuff it was as easy as hell.
    Dunno what l'm doing wrong these days but l've never been more uncomfortable or payed good money for so much crap ever.

17. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

The way retail clothing shops are seemingly going to the wall, online could end up being the only source for clothes. ISHKA has now joined others by calling in administrators I have heard.

18. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

So now you have all your clothes on the line?

SatayKing likes this.
  19. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

No but for some obscure reason people are offended otherwise.

geoffw likes this.
  20. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Do they still make the sleeves loose enough that you can get three rolls into them and shove your durries up under them? :p

datto likes this.