What the hell is happening to our clothes in this country?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by random, 3rd Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

A lot of stores now mainly pitch to the adolescent market even though they appear to be adult clothing stores. Unfortunately these stores stock stupidly designed & ill fitting "fashion" clothing.

Go for quality brands that either don't cater for youngsters or have completely different lines for anyone not fully grown. This will likely mean not shopping in mainstream superstores or those ridiculous fashion stores near food courts.. ...

random and TSK like this.
  2. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

I wonder how much ill fitting clothes has to do with Australia's obesity problem. in those situations perhaps the problem should be resolved by people looking at root cause.

3. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah right , yaknow l watch a lot of the lifestyle shows which are often US and l notice too the guys have some great clothes. Same with on a lot of European shows .
    But here yeah not just talking work stuff , l find everyday ware just so bad this last few years too , l don't even know what to buy anymore.
    Here's a simple one. l wanted new pj pants this winter. Guess what, l had to buy 4 different pairs from 4 different places before l found some that were loose enough and comfy. l mean pajama pants, surely to God how hard could that be.
    Last resort l tried Rivers which l've never even been into but because my daughter got some great night stuff from them . Finally , some nice loose comfy pj pants ,,, ahhhh.

Must take a bit of practice learning sizes buying online though, how did you go with that and could you recommend any sites ? Not sure if we're allowed to say sites buttt.

4. random

random Well-Known Member

Not much l'd say , it's just crap , l'm not over weight. You can see the stores are just cutting corners everywhere and getting the stuff made God knows where and the quality slashed. Few reports say they've resorted to sweat shops and workers on 50c an hour and stuff. Don't know what this size thing is either , what ever happened to the good old 34 or 36 waist and the leg length , or shirts 18 or 20, couldn't go wrong..
    l don't even know how larger people manage to find clothes these days here.

Last edited: 4th Sep, 2019
    Perp likes this.
  5. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

I dont bother with Oz retail, for business, business casual and casual I know my sizes in Charles Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin (UK). Good to very good quality (much better than Oz retailers), multiple fit options (typically 3) and no need to muck around in stores.

random likes this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Welcome to our world.

There was one stage there where the "fitting" clothes in my wardrobe varied from a size 6 - to a size 16.

Women learnt long ago that the size on the label means nothing

sharon, Angel, wylie and 5 others like this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'm not sleeping on the street just yet. :eek:

8. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

You've missed the point..... want proof? Try this:

Go to a store like Connor and try on a pair of chinos.

Now go to Gazman or RM Williams and do the same.

Report back your findings...... it's ok we can wait, because we already know the results....

Perthguy, random and Perp like this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

** hang on - just read thru the rest of the thread and you shop at kmart, Aldi, Best and Less then complain about the quality.

How about you spend a few more dollars and buy something of quality that will last. I've got leather boots in my wardrobe, that cost a few hundred dollars at the time, but have lasted nearly a decade of constant winter use and still looking amazing. Much better value for money than buying a crappy pair every year.

Buying cheap to save $$ and expecting it to last/function is a contradiction

And a huge hint ... try something on BEFORE you buy it. That's what change rooms are for

10. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

My clothes are from Country Road, Trenerry and Sportscraft - I just go in pick my size, hardly ever try them on, take them home and they fit. They usually are well made with quality fabrics. Like Lizzie I buy quality shoes that last several years and handbags, have just retired an Oroton bag after 10 years of constant use.

Went to DJ's at Kotara looking for my favourite Italian brand nightwear, they no longer stock that brand, DJ's is on a steady slide downwards ... :(

11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

...at Bunnings of all places... (I guess you just use the loo as fitting room?)

Hard Yakka Cargo Pants - 89L Black

The Y-man.

Lizzie likes this.
  12. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Never hurts to plan ahead :)

Scott No Mates likes this.
  13. Vassago

Vassago Well-Known Member

I agree with the OP. Worst is pants for men.

Last trip to the US I picked up some nice chinos for Target, great cut, good quality and best of all has odd sizes and differing leg lengths in shop (went for 33 waist and 30 leg) so no need to get tailored. And all for US$25 from memory. All the chinos in Australia are skinny fit, stupid expensive or "work wear" with logos etc.

14. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

given how stupidly unecessarily politically correct our society has become

maybe it hurts peoples feelings to tell them they need a XXXXXXXXL sized shirt

im surprised they didnt call it "cuddly size"

15. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

A trusty pair of thongs, boardshorts and an $8 T-Shirt represents my wardrobe.
    I know, I know, I'm overdressed!

datto and Angel like this.
  16. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

For wearing thongs under the boardies? :eek::D

The Y-man

random and TAJ like this.
  17. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Only you would think of that!
    Still laughin'.

18. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah right l could just imagine , my daughter , 18 , complains non stop too she's resorted to op shops lately places she use to use are so bad now.

19. random

random Well-Known Member

Noooo, only for things like undies and T's and l've always bought that stuff in places like that , never been a problem before the last few years. But never clothes as such like pants tops jackets , you've missed where l've mentioned surf shops and places like Just jeans and others , who use to have great stuff.
    l got an RM pair of boots made a few years ago too, still very nice , although insanely priced. Last pair for sure from them when you can buy the same thing even better quality for a 100bucks os.
    And umm, you also missed the bit where l do try stuff on , but not T's or stuff like that, orr ummm, pj's, tackies.

But anyway , ps , where would you suggest we shop these days then, men l mean, although l do look nice in a skirt haha ?

20. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Feel so glad to see this post, a sigh of big relief, because this tells me I am NORMAL!
    I am a female and thought I am being too fuzzy, being the daughter of a Tailor....

Growing-up Mum took us to pick the fabric and hand-saw all our clothes for festive seasons, daily-wear, school uniform etc. She even have friends who can make handbags, hats, baseball-caps. I love touching the various kind of fabrics and see the end product.
    My mother is famous for her male pants. Male customers keep coming back to her even after they moved out of town, because apparently her cutting is perfect: it fits the crotch perfectly, the legs are straight hanging down from the waist and all that.

Nowadays the quality is long gone. I bought tops from Myer for instance, and within weeks the weaves will fall apart. Stuff at other stores just feel horrible, the denims are far too heavy and thick. I cannot understand why they bother to spend time cutting and sewing, put in all the details, buttons, stones etc, only for it to last a short while.

It is incorrect to say it's China product. When we were there, hubby was excited to find blouses that fits him so well as he has shorter arms and legs than other Caucasians. Apparently he has Chinese-type of body we said :D. Some of those he still wear to this day.

Agree with the others, we might have to go by brands now, although not all branded brands.