QLD What price point for best growth for Brisbane houses? $550, 650, 750, 850k?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Orion, 1st Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

At what price point would a Brisbane free standing house grow the best in the long run?

1. 500k - 600k

2. 600k - 700k

3. 700k - 800k

4. 800k - 900k

5. They would all perform roughly the same, assuming good selection

6. It's too random to predict

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Where?
    Specific suburbs please rather than just "Logan" or "Ipswich" or "Moreton Bay"

2. QldKoolies

QldKoolies Well-Known Member

I’m one of those that picked 800-900, i’d actually take it to a mil at the moment for best growth the reason is that national news dominated by sydney and melbourne has spooked buyers in bris. They are slower to act. The sentiment is cautious if not negative. Its a buyers market due to sentiment alone. At the moment the inner ring entry for good locations ($900-1.1) is heavily discounted at a mil i’d say about $50-100k. Those that need to sell will do so in unfavourable conditions. As the question is about growth, i think more cash return will come from the blue chip OO not the investor FHB markets and this is due to sizeable discounts. I think we’ll see this turn within a couple of years when the fear subsides and people buy in for the same reasons they needed to before but waited. Good schools, good streets, status, close to city. Many commentators are repeating that you’re buying the house not the market, these opportunities may not be reflected in the median suburb performance stats. They are out there though you’ve go to be looking. (this is only a question of growth, not vs holding costs, yield etc).

Orion likes this.
  3. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

don't have large enough data sample to say which bracket works the best, just one example here from myself, a IP bought in early 2015 for just under $400k, now worth about $550k, not terribly great. but it costs minimum to hold.

QldKoolies likes this.
  4. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

@Eric Wu that's ~7% growth per year, I'd be happy with that!

OK @QldKoolies so your view is there is good opportunity to buy below market value in the $900k+ range. This makes sense.

Does this value present itself in the ~$600k properties as well? You'd think the sentiment would be somewhat similar? It's across the board gloom down here.

5. QldKoolies

QldKoolies Well-Known Member

I was careful not to use that term because it is the current market value, my assessment is that when confidence returns those that secure blue chip CG properties during these times will be very happy. It does work market wide but at lower bracket there is broader competition so discounts arent as great. A bit of ground truth here at the moment:
    1. Stock isnt as good, people want to hold in these times. But good properties are popping up.
    2. Finance has been an issue and there is a bit of ‘lag’ in the system, buyers adjusting to new requirements and getting their affairs in order.
    3. Even though there is less good stock, out of the brave ones there’s less people with cash ready to go at it in the higher price points.
    4. At the lower end say 550-850, the result is more time on market but usually not a discount, as finance isn’t as much of an issue but buyers are cautious.

Orion likes this.
  6. Jockosaurus

Jockosaurus Well-Known Member

Are you referring to houses in Brisbane?

7. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

I responded by saying I'd prefer a house in the $600-650k range.

This was the response:

8. Peninsula Property

Peninsula Property Well-Known Member

9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I would the best growth would be houses within 20klms of the city. If more then it needs to be needs to be near water and no more than 30 klms. Price point for would be 300-550k.

Older units say 6-10 blocks sitting on at least 800 plus sqm within 8 klms of the city in areas which are gentrifying. If you can buy under 330k you are doing well,

wilso8948 likes this.
  10. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

Logan has a river yeh?..

11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep full of sewage.....

wilso8948 likes this.
  12. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

So it seems the forum doesn't subscribe to the 'inner areas get better growth' theory?

13. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

In the context of Brisbane, I mean to say anything within say 20kms of the CBD would all be roughly the same growth.

Or do we think that the 500-600k properties have more upside because there is more room for them to grow?

One property commentator said that in Brisbane you don't get the astronomically priced Toorak and Double Bay $10M+ mansions to the same extent because you don't have the number of astronomically remunerated CEO's. Obviously you'll have some but not as many.

14. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

As others have said before it is the growth drivers and income to support growth that is relevant...whether it is 300 - 600k on its own is irrelevant...

15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I personally believe wherever you buy you need to identify value and understsnd the risks of buying in that particular area. For Brisbane, what is essential for me is sticking to inner/middle ring areas, strong OO homes with larger land if possible and able to add value. Why? After all my DD, that's the best mix for me of lower risk, long term high demand stock and high demand areas and greatest chance for short to medium term growth also allowing me to possibly manufacture equity to further reduce risk of slower organic growth than anticipated.

Orion likes this.
  16. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

If you are focused on CG, for a predominately owner occupier area, you want a price point that a broad base of potential buyers can get access to funding for or have the funds/equity available for (i.e. cant be too expensive or not enough demand) but then again you wouldn't want it to be so cheap that purchase price is accessible to undesirable demographics. My view is that for Brisbane a good balance is around 600, and this allows you to get pretty close to amenities, a freestanding house, and ideally with some renovation for profit or GF potential.

Orion likes this.