What PChat can do for you

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by See Change, 25th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Check out the networking and meet up forum

Two coming up .

Cliff

2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

There's one this Saturday night in Baukham Hills, but I'm guessing since you're from Melbourne that might be a bit far. Try contacting YMan or Lil Skater. They seem to know what's going on in Melbourne.

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

He's in Melbourne. :D

4. See Change

He can't help that ...:rolleyes:

The first one was in Canberra and people came from Adelaide , Sydney and Brisbane ...

Though it was a weekend event .

Cliff

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I remember that! I think we had a comp that weekend, so we couldn't get there.

6. ross100

ross100 Well-Known Member

Thanks Guys .. will keep an eye on networking and meet ups.
    YMan or Lil Skater do you know any happening in Melbourne

7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I just realised I would have gone to my first SS meetup around Jan 2009, which is soon after I bought the PPOR (Settled October 2008) and when I got my redundancy (along with the associated money) from Amex.

Redundancy money pretty much got used as a deposit for my 2nd IP. :p
    So happy it wasn't wasted!

Thanks Sim for posting the meeting on meetup otherwise I might not have taken this journey!

I have an aunty who worked for Franklins for over 20 years, she is so fearful and even if offered a redundancy, wouldn't take it. I just think of all the opportunities out there for that sort of money in hand.

I reflect that I have relos who have done really well in business, and their kids when they became adults basically were given pricy homes. (Waterfront unit in Drummoyne, huge house on big land near Epping station)

My family wasn't like that and I used to think how unfair it all was. Anyway, I saved a deposit, bought a very modest 2br unit in West Ryde... (my tip: a living room just over 3m wide is not wide enough to be comfortable!)

Well, now i'm doing so well, thanks to learning from all you guys, I couldn't care less that they were given such a leg up.

Property Twins likes this.
  8. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Wow. Great post Cliff! Hit the nail on the head.

You and not confident, anxious...would have never thought that!

Congratulations on your achievements!

Last edited by a moderator: 25th Jun, 2015
  9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

They most likely won't see this post. PM them instead.

10. ross100

ross100 Well-Known Member

will do thanks

skater likes this.
  11. See Change

12. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

Great post Cliff and Skater,

I know when I first started reading SS, hearing about your (and other) stories, it seemed a long way away to achieve that kind of success. Your post serves as a reminder that most people have started like yourselves, from 'somewhere' to get where they are today. Reading, learning and listening to people who have done it before, is a great motivating tool to start developing the skills, habits and mindset that ensures that kind of success.

skater likes this.
  13. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Well said Cliff and I, too, remember those early days.... don't think we suffered from quite the same Analysis Paralysis that you did :D but any investing isn't without risk and I believe that learning to mitigate these risks and still make calculated, well-informed decisions based on as much research as possible is the key here.

As you know I'm a little more private on my personal details re: portfolio etc however suffice to say that we're in a much better position due to our resi (and commercial) investment decisions since the early 1990's and Somersoft has definitely been responsible for part of taking that action, as well as assisting in providing the impetus and drive to start the seed of House Search some 12 years ago :D Us property investors are strangely addicted in a way that's hard to explain really and it's always been a pleasure being able to discuss, dissect and learn from one another on the forum that started it all. It will be missed but let's move forward and continue on Property Chat!

14. The Silver Bear

The Silver Bear Well-Known Member

Are you going to either Cliff?
    I have watched your posts since joining SS 4 months ago and greatly respect your opinion.
    We live in the same neck of the woods from what I have gleamed and my wife does the same work as you locally.

15. See Change

Not this week . We have a previous meeting , but going to next one .

Your wife's initials wouldn't happen to be AS would they ?

Cliff

16. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

What an awesome post and great replies by many of the most respected on these forums.
    I stumbled across SS just over a year ago and have not looked back since. As far as communities go, I think you would be very hard pressed to find a better one on the entire internet!
    Absolute brilliant people, giving up their time for nothing in return! How often can you say that in today's day and age?

So thank you Cliff for your continued input and willingness to share. I must say when I read SS was closing my heart seriously missed a beat! I immediately thought I was going to have to start learning from magazines again! Thank goodness this has kicked off where SS left off.

To anyone new all I would say is start posting. I see so many posts "Long time lingerer, first time poster". Dont linger! Post! And if your wrong, who cares, someone will be along to help you out. I know when I found this I was posting immediately, a lot of the time with misguided information but someone was along soon after to advise why there was a better option and it makes me learn all the more.

Catalyst likes this.
  17. Perky29

Perky29 Well-Known Member

There's no doubt Somersoft will be missed.
    But thanks to Simon H we all get to continue our chat here.
    Imagine if we had nowhere else to turn to !
    David

18. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Congrats on your success cliff. Good story, all the best mate.

19. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

I posted this the other day on here in a different section....seems more suited here

"The somersoft years have been a huge influence/resource personally speaking.

I joined somersoft back in 2004 after we had just finished building our first PPOR in Point Cook in Melbourne in 2003.

We were struggling to pay the mortgage in 2004....we were going backwards, neither the wife or I were on high wages....we had a $300k mortgage and it was draining us! It's funny looking back (wasn't at the time),

We only became IP investors when I did the figures and realised we would be better off financially to rent out our nice shiny new house and move to a smaller cheaper (closer to family also) house in the South East in Carrum Downs.

Cashflow month to month was better owning 2 properties and living in the cheaper of the 2.....this got me thinking...hmmm...maybe we should try collecting some more for the future....

That was 2005.

10 years later through hard work and "better than average" money management, we have been fortunate to have put ourselves in the position to collect a decent array of properties in Melbourne and Brisbane.

So from zero in 2005 to where we are today in 2015 I can say that somersoft has been a constant source of motivation and information, instrumental in keeping us on track to invest for our future.

I look forward to propertychat continuing to do the same for us and others willing to grow!! "

20. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

Woah I'm looking for the thread now, I'm right by Baulko and would love to come

I'm just a novice so I'll probably have about 1325 questions

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia