House & Home What Melbourne removalist should I engage?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Burramys, 31st Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

I'm moving from my current Melbounre PPOR to the new one, about 70 minutes by road. There's lot of items to move, with a lot of books. It's taking a while to box the books. I need them boxed so I can dismantle two shelves which were made on site. I'm happy for the removalist to pack the few fragile items.

Broadly speaking there are two sorts of removalists:
    - mainstream, fixed price.
    - other, pay by the hour.

I'm unsure which sort to get. Advice on this point and any recommendations would be valued. TIA.

Raj Pahwa likes this.
  2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Get quotes for both, estimate how many hours approx. to pack and move the items plus travel plus unload.

When I move interstate I use fixed price, and when local I paid by the hour. When I moved locally locations were just about 30 mins away and it still takes us up to 4-5 hours for a 1 bedroom apartment. TV is packed by the removalist, the rest already packed by us.

3. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm getting quotations, and will probably use a company with an hourly rate. It's a fair sized move, maybe six tonnes.

4. ppsgill

ppsgill New Member

Just used Melbourne City Movers last weekend, they were on time and did not waste any time and did a good job.
    Their hourly rate is very reasonable comparing to other companies.
    Give them a go.

5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

upload_2019-5-23_15-5-4.jpeg Perhaps give these guys a miss.

6. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    These guys might be worth a miss too...

craigc and Propertunity like this.
  7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I will share my removalist story.

I worked for a major Australian Bank and moved back to Sydney. We engaged a seemingly .reputable well known removalist company. Lets call them Jay Wilson

They packed all our boxes ready for the truck which arrived and the grubby driver proceeded to assist loading fabrice sofas etc with greasy hands....WE should have known. Theeir job was to split the load.

1. Small qty of boxes to a temporary location; and
    2. Balance to warehouse for later instructions

Fast forward three days in Sydney. We get a letter advising that the company was now in liquidation (as you may be aware - NO!) but all goods will be delivered or attended to by a new company (Grace Removals).

But our first part didnt arrive. Turns out the truck has been locked inside a warehouse and wont be released until someone pays the rent arrears. Several days later they find the truck and we refer the matter to Police in Victoria. The warehouse owner agrees to allow the truck out as Police advised it would be treated as theft. Warehouse had no lien over our property. Legal costs $1K. Police say we got lucky. Others had their stuff stolen by employees it seems. (They were owed wages)

Two days later the promised goods arrived. Boxes with clothing torn apart and clothing dumped in a pile. Bed destroyed and wet, stained etc. Some boxes missing. Claim for $3K in damages launched against the new delivery company based on a detailed list on each carton contents. Their insurance policy was still active. (The insurer settled this immediately after seeing images. They said our claim was just one and it was a small one)

Then we decided to check the rest. That very day a letter arrives. It suggested we check our possessions arrived and its from the liquidator...Apparently many issued have been reported. We arrive at the warehouse and all seems OK except a TV is missing. We are told they will pay for that too. And we were assured we were very lucky. Many people cant find their possessions at all !! A few days later we are paid $3800. Cheque clears !! We buy replacements.

So we arrange immediate redelivery to self-storage. Our insurance.

I have never used removalists since. And wont.

8. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

+1 I used them when I moved three years ago - first class job, very fair price

9. GoOnAndTell

GoOnAndTell Well-Known Member

I used and recommend Cbd removals. I will never again use cbd movers. Confusing yes but worth noting imo.