What means Rights and interests reserved to the Crown

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by evisional2, 18th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. evisional2

evisional2 Well-Known Member

In the Title Search, I find the following sentence in EASEMENTS, ENCUMBRANCES AND INTERESTS section:

Rights and interests reserved to the Crown by Deed of Grant No. xxxx

Can I ask what it means?

Thanks

2. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

It means if their are resources on the property such as oil, gas and minerals etc. the government can reclaim it and pay you market price to GTFO!

datto and JDM like this.
  3. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Yep, essentially means the Crown reserves the rights to the resources that may lie within the property boundary. The deed of grant no. bit is reference to historic plans. This will be on every title search in Queensland (and probably other States) and can essentially be ignored unless you are buying the property for a mining related purpose, in which case you would be looking for separate mining permits to give you a right to these resources.

Terry_w likes this.
  4. evisional2

evisional2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies. Does it effect in my intention to subdivision on the land or build more than 1 dwelling on the lot.

How can I search for content of the Deed of Grant?

5. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Unless you have aspirations of striking it rich and finding oil/coal/gold etc on your development site you have no issues at all. Don't bother trying to find the original deed of grant. Just ignore that entry on the title search.

6. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Essentially the crown owns all the natural properties beneath your house. So if there's gold or oil... Ssssh....

When we had a lecture on property law many years ago...and this was taught to us... Many eyes rolled..

7. Anette

Anette New Member

It looks like this is the site to check if you want questions answered. Very new in Queensland as well and planning to buy block of land so I'm glad you cleared one of many questions. On the one that im interested in it also states " writ number xxxxx against the interest of someone and one writ number xxxx in the interest of the same person ??? What is that all about never have i found anythjng like that before. Can anyone help with it please