Education & Work What makes a good manager? when it comes to Running a team

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by GentleChief, 12th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. GentleChief

GentleChief Well-Known Member

Many of us manage a team. Some of us manage a distributed network of teams. But the things I have learnt from (and still learning) managing a team to make it tick and stick....

- Acknowledgement - genuine appreciation of what the team member does (not just the "surface gloss")

- Autonomy - Here's the outcome I want, here's the resources you got, now I'll stand out of your way while you go do it.

- Responsibility - I liked your idea, I approved it. If it works, it's to your credit. If it goes $#@%, buck stops with me.

- Delegate - If my staff can deliver to 80% of what I think I can deliver doing it myself, that's a successful delegation of duties - leave the 20% to me to fix up.

- Keep it personal - Team - do it for the love of yourself and me. Love or hate the tenant, do it for us.

- Synergy - 2 + 2 = 5 effect

- Ownership - This is the problem, how do "WE" resolve this, someone needs your help. Can we do something different...

- Shared Success - This is the most powerful outcome. Ecosystem. Team. Higher aspirations. We ARE ALL Winners here. Rather than just me or just you win...

Make it count - If you are in Corporate environment, Small business or a Start-up etc.... What makes a good manager?

wylie, Connor, Pumpkin and 2 others like this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Stepping back and not micromanaging unless necessary (then change the player).

GentleChief likes this.
  3. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Intuition - to be able to match the right person for the right role.

GentleChief likes this.
  4. GentleChief

GentleChief Well-Known Member

Ownership - During President J F Kennedy’s visit to NASA where he asked a janitor/cleaner what his job was. The cleaner replied that he sent rockets to the moon.
    All of us should feel that part of what our organisations actually do.

wylie likes this.
  5. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

This is by far the biggest issue I've experienced. I simply cannot work for a person who micromanages. I've always been a person who tries to over achieve, and I've always produced the wanted (or better) result. But having someone micromanaging just slows me down and ****** me off. I blew up at my last supervisor (he was a big micromanager), and he backed off of everyone on the team. The team morale instantly jumped, but I still couldn't wait to move to a different office and get away from him.

I'm now in a different office and different position, and the only time I see my current supervisor is for a relaxed coffee during work time. My mental health and enjoyment for the work is sky high, and stress levels almost zero.

For anyone for is, will be, wants to be - a manager - please don't be a life sucking micromanager. Trust your team members. If they don't perform, find one that will be apart of the team. Being a micromanager will just make everyone hate you.

This is fantastic. Every person contributes to the bigger picture somehow, regardless of what they physically do.

GentleChief likes this.
  6. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Understand strengths and weaknesses of the team including themselves. If they're the smartest person in the room the team is in trouble

GentleChief likes this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This is the one that resinates with me, making it a win/win

MTR:)

GentleChief likes this.