What made you choose investing in property other than shares and mutual index funds ?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by showtime94, 25th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

That is so true. A lot of first generation migrants didn't have a strategy. They just bought their first house as a roof over their families heads. As they worked harder and had more income, they invested it into housing, as it was regarded as 'safe as houses'.

2. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I like both but as I salary sacrifice to super what I can which isn't much due to caps I already have a fair bit of exposure to the share market.

Outside of super my current weighting is 10% shares, holding about 10 stocks plus AFIC and 90% property and that is mainly due to the benefits of leverage. There is only so much spare income/cashflow available to purchase shares.

The superior income streams available by purchasing fully franked shares does appeal and I might have to purchase more LICs outside of AFIC.
    The GFC was an eye opener to me as I watched dividends being cut and some companies undertaking huge capital raising which diluted EPS and shareholder value in some stocks massively. The LPT sector comes to mind, not to mention the millions of shareholders caught out holding non dividend paying mid cap Australian miners etc.

Direct share ownership requires following the market closely and picking up on adverse trends. I find property easier but like the income streams available from shares.

Jack Chen, Anne11 and Bran like this.
  3. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

Did you include re-investing dividends back into capital?

4. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I haven't done maths since Year 12.

My calculations were: $X/year income, depositing 20% (Y).

I then went to a compound calculator and put in that value, added annually, with a 5% return.

Not very accurate, so no!

But, replacing income by depositing 20% per year will take a long time, especially with a 5% return. Each year, 5% of the 20% deposited will be returned.

I hope someone can do it better

5. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

This is the math behind it ;)

assume your annual salary is 100k. Need to get passive income of $100k in 2016 dollars. Assume that the passive income is 4% of your income producing assets (conservative?).

Therefore in 2016 dollars you need $2 500 000 equity in income producing assets. Assume you deposit $20k in 2016 dollars a year. Assume each 20 000 gets you 5% per year in 2016 dollars.

After Y years you will have (20k)*(1.05^(Y-1))+(20k)*(1.05^(Y-2))+...+(20k)*(1.05^0)

Rearranging and solve for 2 500 000 = (20 000)*(1.05^(Y-1)+1.05^(Y-2)+...+(1.05^0))
    125 = 1.05^(Y-1)+1.05^(Y-2)+...+1.05^0

I had to use excel to solve that but its about 41 years of saving. Key assumptions:

1. Your income only changes with inflation
    2. when smoothed out, net gain in your savings/equity position is 5% p.a (this is 5% post tax and post-inflation adjustments)

Of course, life will never be that simple, so keep working on improving your savings rate and your income AND your quality of assets. All 3 are important. Perhaps more important than all 3 is working on improving yourself. Money comes easier if you have the tools/knowledge/resources/network to get it.

Last edited: 26th Jun, 2016
    Bran, House, HUGH72 and 1 other person like this.
  6. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think 5% combined CG+dividends averaged out over a long period is a bit too conservative tbh, as is the fact that this assumed zero use of debt which probably wouldn't be the case once a decent sum+experience was obtained.

personally I chose property because I love it and it can be pretty lucrative if done right. the ability to directly affect the return is a big factor too, instead of being completely passive/at merCy of market/others etc.

having said that Im not really a big fan of basic resi buy and holds and especially so when income is important vs CG

Sackie likes this.
  7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

big max and Perthguy like this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

+1.

Paterson00 likes this.
  9. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

I did property and I did shares. Stop doing both for different reasons. Just don't see any reason to invest anymore.

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

Lets do more math. If you reinvested every cent of dividends back into capital. Thats a smoothed out 9.4% YoY growth. Even taking out inflation, its still a good return. Of course this is the past and not necessarily indicative of the future ;)

Terry_w likes this.
  11. Xjas

Xjas Active Member

My thoughts exactly, I like to have at least the illusion of control over my investments.

12. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

The way I see property is:

Cons:
    • illiquid & expensive to buy and sell (stamp duty, conveyancing, etc to buy & agents fees to sell) with a complicated and lengthy buy/sell process.
    • Immobile & lacking diversification
    • Very hard to properly diversify from given the high individual asset cost
    • High ongoing costs (property managers, maintenance, insurance, council rates)
    • I've mentioned these in other points, but it has its own special fees and taxes. Stamp Duty & rates
    Pros:

• Stable, markets swings don't have anywhere near the same immediate impact. Nor have I ever heard of anyone getting margin called / having major dramas bank side on boring stuff like an 80% lvr loan on a resi prop (development & bridging loans are a different story but that's not what I play in)
    • Leverage. If I walk into a bank to ask for 80% LVR for 30 years at cash rate + 2% to buy index funds, they are probably going to laugh at me. Vs quite happy to do it on resi prop.
    • Has some nice tax perks, the previously mentioned expenses in cons are all deductible against the income. I've found things like asset depreciation schedules to be fairly generous so far.
    For me, the pros outweigh the cons.

Anne11 and Perthguy like this.
  13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Yah, LibGs liked something I wrote!

Perthguy likes this.
  14. Beyond Wealth

Beyond Wealth Well-Known Member

Why choose one over the other, when you can build both a resi property portfolio, and a share portfolio? I started with resi for the CG factor, now I'm moving to include ETFs for yield

Jack Chen, Anne11, big max and 2 others like this.
  15. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

Well said!

16. showtime94

showtime94 Well-Known Member

Why dont you see a reason to invest anymore ??

17. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I would not be happy without a hobby. For me, sourcing a run down, under market value dump that I can DIY reno to improve is a fantastic (but expensive) hobby :p

Oh, it has also been very profitable so far. ;)

showtime94 likes this.
  18. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Don't want to take any wind out of Terry's sails but:-

10. No solicitors fees? (Assuming you didn't invest in Timbercorp or HIH or something else that went pearshaped...)

Perthguy and Terry_w like this.
  19. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Leverage.

20. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Use property as security, get a residential loan, use the loan to buy listed securities ;)