What is the impact of the Bushfire 2019/20?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Pumpkin, 9th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

quote..
    More than 11.4 million hectares (28 million acres) have been blackened. That’s about 1.5% of the country’s land area, but still an expanse greater than Scotland

This may well become the largest re-build Australia has ever seen,i just hope that as it's still raining in Brisbane it's raining down south ..good luck..

3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

The fire just missed my property in the adelaide hills.

It did go through friends properties, and has nearly wiped them out. The horse rescue I run lost just about everything as the property our equipment was at went up.

The fire went through my new property I am in settlement period on, burned through 80% of it and have lost most of the fencing and pasture.

4. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Government is discussing the idea of subsidising insurance in cyclone prone areas where it will become more expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if this is extended to all sorts of things.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...australia-back-on-agenda-20191119-p53c2d.html

kierank likes this.
  5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Sorry to learn that @DaveM. Heartbreak time as it is for many.

I'm watching with interest a fire around 8 km to the south of ACT border. It's 45 km from the majority of Canberra's urban areas. However there is a small hamlet, Tharwa, which is part of the ACT which could be in for it should it get away.

Although a number of "experts" have provided many views, the Emergency Services here have learned from the 2003 fires, have maintained fire trails and are able to to get heavy equipment in to construct containment lines. Won't help with ember attack of course but fire crews have been placed a various locations for this purpose.

Yeah @LibGS. As I have mentioned elsewhere I was in discussion early December with a friend who is involved in climate research and it has apparently been drawn to the attention of various quarters there is no point in having a budget surplus if all your productive assets have been totaled. No surprises there as I'm sure many are aware of that.

How odd that discipline of research has been largely ignored by - until now. Shan't say anything more on that subject as it'll become a political slagging match.

6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I hope this is vacant land Dave,good luck..

7. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

No its my new PPOR. They saved the house, sheds, arena and stable block, but the rest is gone

willair likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That's a shocker. At least most of the structures have been saved but there'll be alot of work to get the other infrastructure back as well as the pasture improvement etc.

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear this @DaveM . I hope all the animals are safe.

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Had family visit on the weekend, up from the Snowy's ... they have holiday accommodation which was snapped up as permanent rentals by the Snowy Hydro 2.0 scheme, as Snowy Hydro lost 18 workers houses in the fires.

Family are happy, as there would be no snow season bookings this year